Front wheel wobble??? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 AM
1st Gear

Front wheel wobble???

I purchased a used 2009 Honda Accord a few months back and I had noticed that the front wheel wobbles when I hit bumps (esp. under power). The wobble goes away as I take my foot off the gas. It only happens on the passenger side front.

There is no play in the front wheel (on the ground or jacked up).

I have jacked it up, taken the wheel off, and then used a second jack to reload the suspension on that side, and everything seems tight. No play anywhere (loaded or unloaded). Well, the tie rod end could be turned much easier on the problematic side.

I have rotated the tires.

Still, this death wobble on the one side.

This past weekend, I replaced the inner and outer tie rod ends on that side, and the problem persists.

Anyone have any insight into what might be the problem?

The wobble feels like it is fore/aft, and it looks like the rim was hit pretty hard on that side prior to my purchase (as evidenced by the rim damage). As mentioned earlier, wheels were rotated and the problem is still in the front right wheel.

Anyway, this is driving me nuts...

Is it possible that the steering box is damaged on just that side? And wouldn't I be able to feel it?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

Possibly a bad strut?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:01 PM
3rd Gear

Hhmmm very strange the only other thing i could tell u is to see if a hub ring would make a difference, maybe not but only other solution i could think of or take it to the dealer and have them look at it.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 PM
유+웃= ♋

Does the wobble seem to be stronger at a certain speed?
Does the wobble seem to get less and speeds greater and 45?
Is the wobble getting slowly worse as time goes on?

I had a similar issue on a 2002 vw cabrio. It would wobble when I would accelerate, but it would wobble the hardest around 30-40 mph. My problem ended up being the passenger side axle needed to be replaced. Not sure if that is your issue, but could be.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:07 PM
2012 Crosstour

Here is the next test: It sounds like a strut. To test for this, find a bumpy street with no traffic on it. Get up to speed where it wobbles. Stick your head out the window and physically watch the front wheel. Take a passenger with you looking at the passenger side wheel. See if the front wheel is bouncing up and down fast. If so, you have a bad strut. Then switch places with the passenger and drive the same street looking at the other wheel. Compare them in your mind. Do they both bounce with the same frequency? I tend to think you have a passenger side bad strut. Has there been any accident damage 'ever' on the passenger side? Even hitting a big pot hole or curb that could have bent the strut slightly?

Since you purchased this vehicle used, do you know the history of the vehicle? If you want to give me the VIN, I can run a CarFAX and check to see if has ever been damaged.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:08 PM
MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vweedub View Post
Does the wobble seem to be stronger at a certain speed?
Does the wobble seem to get less and speeds greater and 45?
Is the wobble getting slowly worse as time goes on?

I had a similar issue on a 2002 vw cabrio. It would wobble when I would accelerate, but it would wobble the hardest around 30-40 mph. My problem ended up being the passenger side axle needed to be replaced. Not sure if that is your issue, but could be.
+1 sounds like cv bent to me as well. If hit hard, it could bend the axle. Also possible wheel bearing issue. Doea it produce any noise?
25mm Rear Spacers
20mm Front Spacers
Megan Cambers/trac bars
JDM Red H badge
DDM raptor 35w 6000k HIDs
OEM fogs w/8000k HIDs
20% 3M HP tint
Type R red engine covers
Gutter guard lower grille
120SMD switchback led parking lights
Piaa 9005s
cree reverse leds
led interior
Trunk weight removal mod
Intake Resonator removed
DRLs removed
Debadged trunk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.