2004 Honda Accord V6 Exhaust - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM
veesix

2004 Honda Accord V6 Exhaust

Back here again -

My girlfriend has a dirt road that is a 1 to 1.5 miles long and all the dust from it likes to get caught up under the bumper. I know this because a few times I was looking at my mufflers and when I roll onto my side, my other shoulder taps the bumper and I get dust in my face. Today, I decided to take it off to clean it. While it was off, I got another impulse, and used a chain pipe wrench (like this http://www.rothenberger-usa.com/file...pplication.jpg) and decided to cut off the curve from my exhaust. I have always hated the fact that they curve down...the 04 V6 coupe and the 06 and newer all have nice looking exhaust and my jealousy got to me.

I think it looks nice...I can see most of the circle now, but not all of it. I wanted to get exhaust tips...nothing too terribly expensive, but I have an open mind. My goal is simply good looks...no more noise, I don't need more hp (I'm trying to be good about my speed :p ) So if there are any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Feel free to post pictures of what you may have done to your accord? I'm also happy to trim down the bumper some to get a nice, clean fit.

Thanks all,
Pants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Make that BluFlsh

These are stainless steel tips bought at Walmart (of all places, but they were cheap). I had to modify them a little, to go over the bend in the exhaust, but I didn't want to go hacking on the bumper cover. One problem with our exhaust is, it's too wide at the ends IMO. But it wasn't intended to have a visable tip on it.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 PM
veesix

Beautiful! I will check walmart...that sounds like a good idea. I'm okay go at the bumper a bit...I did my own OEM Fogs and they work perfectly (required some hacking in the front) but I'll be sure to post pictures in a bit of where I stand so far
Old 05-13-2012, 10:24 AM
veesix

For the two pictures I uploaded, I think they look good, but from a higher angle, they are hard to see. I am happy to hack away at my bumper if I have a good plan or exhaust tips to go with it.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 PM
4th Gear

i also have an 04 V6 and had the same thought as you. I am sure the functionality of our tips turned down is fine, but i do like the looks of the nice crome tips (like on the 07's).

I was wondering i what the process would be like to add the tips, and if how much modifcation would have to take place to deal with those turned down tips. .... I will keep an eye on this thread. i am sure we arent the only ones that have had this thought. lol.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 PM
veesix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAccord View Post
i also have an 04 V6 and had the same thought as you. I am sure the functionality of our tips turned down is fine, but i do like the looks of the nice crome tips (like on the 07's).

I was wondering i what the process would be like to add the tips, and if how much modifcation would have to take place to deal with those turned down tips. .... I will keep an eye on this thread. i am sure we arent the only ones that have had this thought. lol.
Here's what I have going on...I went to Advance Auto Parts and spent like $8 on two universal rubber muffler hangers. I took off the two closest to the bumper (one off of each) and put it next to the ones I bought. I aligned the holes and put the universal on the car, but one hole longer. It hangs lower at the end. I had exhaust pipe that was silver, although not chrome, that I was going to cut and attach to the tips, but I got the wrong size again...those pictures will be up later. The mufflers aren't low enough to have less functionality or to hit the ground, but if I put on a tip, I will clear the bumper. Above I explained how I cut them. I would have (and should have) taken more pictures, but I just put my bumper back on. My girlfriend will be out of town this Friday, so I might take the bumper back off and go through the steps...
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2012, 03:29 PM
veesix

For those last two pictures, the first one is hard to see, but it's only the camera. I changed the exposure for the second picture, but I can see my exhaust from a distance away
Old 05-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Make that BluFlsh

I would try to get them extended past the bottom lip of the bumper. Seems like a lot of exhaust gases would stay under the car with them stopping short like that. I think if the bumper didn't have that transition (half lip, half no lip) at the bottom, right where the exhaust pipe is, it would be easier to cut the bumper cover and make it look right. The way it is now, I don't see it looking right. It would be nice, if the exhaust pipe could be moved closer to the inside toward the middle of the car, so you could just cut the lip, and it would come out better. I haven't tried it, but the way the exhaust is made, I doubt it's possible.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM
veesix

I don't mind where it is as far as distance from the middle. I see your point and it would look better and be easier if it were where you suggested, but it just doesn't kill me. I think that I will extend them very shortly. I have had them cut at this length for maybe a week and a half or so and I have done a ton of driving and not noticed gas getting caught up in the bumper (not saying there isn't any) but it's a good point and I should extend them.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:30 PM
veesix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAccord View Post

Ryan-
I somehow missed over your post last time going through this and I feel bad that I did. It cost me all of $8 and a neighbors tool to do this. My opening post explains what I did, but if you need me to get into better detail, I'd be happy to. I am looking at exhaust tips/finishers...how much pipe needs to be in the tip? I can use a tip to extend the total length cuz currently the pipes are a little over 3 inches. If I got tips, I'd probably weld them on cuz I have a friend who would do that for me no problem, I was just wondering how much pipe needs to be physically in the tip
Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

i would almost say find a local welding shop that would help you at a reasonable price and get some weld on tips that would be the best bet...
Old 06-01-2012, 07:34 PM
veesix

Looking at the coupes that have them stock, it looks like the opening to the tip is flush with the end of the actual pipe. If I welded them on, do you think it'd be okay if the pipe didn't come out as far as the opening to the tip?
Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Make that BluFlsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants116 View Post
Looking at the coupes that have them stock, it looks like the opening to the tip is flush with the end of the actual pipe. If I welded them on, do you think it'd be okay if the pipe didn't come out as far as the opening to the tip?
Not a problem, you just need enough in the tip to hold it on securely. I would try to get the fit as tight as possible over the tail pipe, just to minimize leakage.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 AM
veesix

That sounds good to me...if it had to cover the entire pipe, I'd be out of luck. You said you got yours at walmart, right? I looked at my local one and found none any other good ones you know about?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants116 View Post
Ryan-
I somehow missed over your post last time going through this and I feel bad that I did. It cost me all of $8 and a neighbors tool to do this. My opening post explains what I did, but if you need me to get into better detail, I'd be happy to. I am looking at exhaust tips/finishers...how much pipe needs to be in the tip? I can use a tip to extend the total length cuz currently the pipes are a little over 3 inches. If I got tips, I'd probably weld them on cuz I have a friend who would do that for me no problem, I was just wondering how much pipe needs to be physically in the tip
ok. cool.

thanks for the reply Pants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.