How to reset the Check Engine light - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2006, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

How to reset the Check Engine light

I followed the document posted by Princess on the Sticky Throttle body thread (http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...achmentid=4260) to clean the throttle body on the 00 SE but made a stupid mistake.

When I put the things back together, I forgot to reattach the MAP connector. Afterwards when I started the car, the engine was running but the idle speed was dangersly low and the "Check Engine" light came on. I shut off the engine and check the connections and found the disconnected MAP connector. So I rechecked everything and reattached all of the connectors, and I tried to start the engine again. Now the idle speed went back to normal and the car ran ok, but the "Check Engine" light stayed on.

How can I reset the check engine light? I heard that disconnecting the battery cable may not work - I can't find the radio code so I didn't try it yet (I thought it was on a piece of paper in the manual but just couldn't locate it).
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Go to the fusebox on the passenger side of the car (interior) and pull the clock fuse for ~3-5 mins. It only affects the clock and the computer, you won't need a radio code if I recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2006, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiBoy650
Go to the fusebox on the passenger side of the car (interior) and pull the clock fuse for ~3-5 mins. It only affects the clock and the computer, you won't need a radio code if I recall.
That worked! Thanks!

One of the threads (maybe the sticky throttle thread) mentioned after cleaning the throttle body one should make the computer re-learn the idle speed... Is that really necessary? I thought the computer is supposed to "learn" the engine running conditions "on the job"?
Old 07-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

You could try it but IMO it's a bit of a waste of gas. Eventually it will just reprogram itself. I have never done the idle learn procedure and have no problem - I've disconnected the pre-cat O2 sensor a few times with the engine on too, for shop assignments, so I don't think it's a big deal. I remember the car used to vibrate but that could have been bad gas, or just a temporary thing with not doing the idle learn...either way it's fine for me now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2006, 06:41 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiBoy650
You could try it but IMO it's a bit of a waste of gas. Eventually it will just reprogram itself. I have never done the idle learn procedure and have no problem - I've disconnected the pre-cat O2 sensor a few times with the engine on too, for shop assignments, so I don't think it's a big deal. I remember the car used to vibrate but that could have been bad gas, or just a temporary thing with not doing the idle learn...either way it's fine for me now.
Thanks for the info. I will skip that step.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.