emissions test problems: "not ready" - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2006, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Arrow emissions test problems: "not ready"

I am running into problems taking my 2003 Accord V6 for Texas State Inspection. When the tech connects to my computer, a number of indicators for the emissions portion of the test say "not ready". He says this happens commonly especially when batteries are disconnected or changed or major maintenance has been done. I have had none of that. No check engine lights or other dashboard indicators of problems. He also says that putting the car through a drive cycle should help to set the indicators to "ready". 2 different Honda Service Department people say that there isn't any specific drive cycle for these vehicles and haven't been much help.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006, 05:50 PM
OCD

Once again the honda service dept. morons haven't got a clue. There is a very specific drive cycle (at least for my I4, keep in mind both the I4 and the V6 have the same exact manual so it should be the same) and it is mentioned in the drivers manual... From the manual...

Your vehicle has certain ‘‘readiness codes’’ that are part of the on-board diagnostics for the emissions systems. In some states, part of the emissions testing is to make sure these codes are set. If they are not set, the test cannot be completed. If your vehicle battery has been disconnected or gone dead, these codes are erased. It takes at least three days of driving under various conditions to set the codes again. To check if they are set, turn the
ignition switch to ON (II), without starting the engine. The malfunction
indicator lamp will come on for 20 seconds. If it then goes off, the readiness codes are set. If it blinks 5 times, the readiness codes are not set. If possible, do not take your vehicle for a state emissions test until the readiness codes are set. Refer to for more information (see page 284 ).

If you take your vehicle for a state
emissions test shortly after the
battery has been disconnected or
gone dead, it may not pass the test.
This is because of certain ‘‘readiness
codes’’ that must be set in the onboard
diagnostics for the emissions
systems. These codes are erased
when the battery is disconnected,
and set again only after several days
of driving under a variety of conditions.

If the testing facility determines that
the readiness codes are not set, you
will be requested to return at a later
date to complete the test. If you must
get the vehicle retested within the
next two or three days, you can
condition the vehicle for retesting by
doing the following.

Make sure the gas tank is nearly,
but not completely full (around
3/4).

Make sure the vehicle has been
parked with the engine off for 8
hours or more.

Make sure the ambient
temperature is between 20° and
95°F.
Without touching the accelerator
pedal, start the engine, and let it
idle for 20 seconds.
Keep the vehicle in Park
(automatic transmission) or
Neutral (manual transmission).
Increase the engine speed to 2,000
rpm, and hold it there until the
temperature gauge rises to at least
1/4 of the scale (about 3minutes).

Select a nearby lightly traveled
major highway where you can
maintain a speed of 50 to 60 mph
(80 to 97 km/h) for at least 20
minutes.
Drive on the highway in D (A/T)
or 5th/6th (M/T). Do not use the
cruise control. When traffic allows,
drive for 90 seconds without
moving the accelerator pedal.
(Vehicle speed may vary slightly;
this is okay.) If you cannot do this
for a continuous 90 seconds
because of traffic conditions, drive
for at least 30 seconds, then repeat
it two more times (for a total of 90
seconds).

Then drive in city/suburban
traffic for at least 10 minutes.
When traffic conditions allow, let
the vehicle coast for several
seconds without using the
accelerator pedal or the brake pedal.

If the testing facility determines the
readiness codes are still not set, see
your dealer.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. Spent all my time looking thru the manual for stuff like "drive cycle" but not looking for the heading "emissions". I had found generic drive cycle stuff for Hondas and other cars on the OBDII website but it was apparently crap.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:18 PM
James.uk

>>Select a nearby lightly traveled major highway where you can maintain a speed of 50 to 60 mph (80 to 97 km/h) for at least 20 minutes.<<

Hhmmm. Interesting.. But that procedure would be virtually impossible in the UK.. 20 miles without having to change speed?? yeah right.. we wish!! lol.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Doesn't say you can't change speed...
Old 07-25-2006, 02:24 PM
James.uk

?? It clearly states "maintain"??? not "average" no?? otherwise any road, any speed will do? just drive for 20 mins??
Old 07-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

It says "maintain 50 to 60" which means you can do any speed in between that...
Old 07-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Used to Drive a Hummer H2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peniole
If it blinks 5 times, the readiness codes are not set.
Ding ding ding!

(Sorry to steal a bit from the thread)

That's been the standard procedure happening on my car for around 2 months now (since the O2 sensor got replaced)... now I know what it is

I asked H of New Rochelle about it and they said that "We use the HDS for retrieving DTC's, not the MIL"... I think that they sort of misunderstood my question, since I understand their response.

Are there any ways to guess what readiness codes aren't set, or do I need to accelerate my purchase of a OBD scanner (looking foward to it).

'05 Hummer Accord EX-L 4cyl/auto Navi

The legendary 20 MPG and Below-er

'07 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Navi/Bluetooth/VSC/Smartkey Sky Blue / Ash
Old 07-25-2006, 02:45 PM
James.uk

Hi Ben.

We could only 'guarentee' (hope!) to do that here on a straight section of motorway in the early hours of the morning (due to the huge volume of trafic here during daylight hours) and only then, if -- there were no road works or temp speed restriction in operation within the 15-20 miles needed.. So as stated.. we wish.. lol...

Some counties don't have any motorways at all... I know Dorset doesn't..
and the London ring road M25 isn't called the M25 car park for nothing.. lol
Old 07-26-2006, 07:58 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Here's what I found....

Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Indication (In relation to Readiness Codes)
The vehicle has certain ''readiness codes'' that are part of the on-board diagnostics for the emissions systems. If the vehicle's battery has been disconnected or gone dead, if the DTCs have been cleared, or if the ECM/PCM has been reset, these readiness codes are reset. In some states, part of the emissions testing is to make sure these codes are set to complete. If all of them are not set to complete, the vehicle may fail the emission test, or the test cannot be finished.

To check if the readiness codes are set to complete, turn the ignition switch ON (II), but do not start the engine. The MIL will come on for 15-20 seconds. If it then goes off, the readiness codes are complete. If it flashes five times, one or more readiness codes are not set to complete. To set readiness codes from incomplete to complete, do the procedure for the appropriate code.

To check the status of a specific DTC system, check the OBD status in the DTC MENU with the HDS. This screen displays the code, the current data list of the enable criteria, and the status of the readiness testing.

Catalytic Converter Monitor and Readiness Code
NOTE:

Do not turn the ignition switch off during the procedure.

All readiness codes are cleared when the battery is disconnected or when the ECM/PCM is cleared with the HDS.

Low ambient temperatures or excessive stop-and-go traffic may increase the drive time needed to switch the readiness code from incomplete to complete.

The readiness code will not switch to complete until all the enable criteria are met.

If a fault in the secondary HO2S system caused the MIL to come on, the readiness code cannot be set to complete until you correct the fault.

Enable Criteria
ECT at 158 ºF (70 ºC) or more.

Intake air temperature (IAT) at -13 ºF (-25 ºC) or more.

Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) reads more than 3 mph (5 km/h).

Procedure
Connect the HDS to the vehicle's data link connector (DLC), and bring up the READINESS CODEs screen for Catalyst in the DTCs MENU.

Start the engine.

Test-drive the vehicle under stop-and-go conditions with short periods of steady cruise. After about 5 miles (8 km), the readiness code should switch to completed.

If the readiness code is still not set to complete, check for a Temporary DTC with the HDS. If there is no DTC, one or more of the enable criteria were probably not met; repeat the procedure.

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Control System Monitor and Readiness Code
NOTE: All readiness codes are cleared when the battery is disconnected or when the ECM/PCM is cleared with the HDS.

Enable Criteria
Battery voltage is more than 10.5 V.

Engine at idle.

ECT sensor between 176 ºF (80 ºC) and 212 ºF (100 ºC).

MAP sensor less than 46.6 kPa (14 in.Hg, 350 mmHg).

Vehicle speed 0 mph (0 km/h).

IAT sensor between 32 ºF (0 ºC) and 212 ºF (100 ºC).

Procedure
Connect the HDS to the vehicle's data link connector (DLC).

Start the engine.

Select EVAP TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS, then select the FUNCTION TEST in the EVAP TEST MENU.

If the functions are normal, readiness is complete.

If the functions are not normal, go to the next step.

If the readiness code is still not set to complete, check for a temporary DTC. If there is no DTC, one or more of the enable criteria were probably not met; repeat the procedure.

Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Monitor and Readiness Code
NOTE:

All readiness codes are cleared when the battery is disconnected or when the ECM/PCM is cleared with the HDS.

Enable Criteria
ECT at 158 ºF (70 ºC) or more.

Procedure
Start the engine.

Test-drive the vehicle under stop-and-go conditions with short periods of steady cruise. During the drive, decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) for 5 seconds. After about 3.5 miles (5.6 km), the readiness code should switch from incomplete to complete.

Check the readiness codes screen for the Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor in the DTCs MENU with the HDS.

If the screen shows complete, readiness is complete.

If the screen shows not complete, go to the next step.

Check for a Temporary DTC. If there is no DTC, the enable criteria was probably not met. Select the DATA LIST Menu. Check the ECT in the ALL DATA LIST with the HDS. If the ECT is lower than 158 ºF (70 ºC), run the engine until it is higher than 158 ºF (70 ºC), then repeat the procedure.

Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Heater Monitor Readiness Code
NOTE: All readiness codes are cleared when the battery is disconnected or when the ECM/PCM is cleared with the HDS.

Procedure
Start the engine, and let it idle for 1 minute. The readiness code should switch from incomplete to complete.

If the readiness code is still not set to complete, check for a temporary DTC. If there is no DTC, repeat the procedure.

Misfire Monitor and Readiness Code
This readiness code is always set to available because misfiring is continuously monitored.

Monitoring pauses, and the misfire counter resets, if the vehicle is driven over a rough road.

Monitoring also pauses, and the misfire counter holds at its current value, if the throttle position changes more than a predetermined value, or if driving conditions fall outside the range of any related enable criteria.

Fuel System Monitor and Readiness Code
This readiness code is always set to available because the fuel system is continuously monitored during closed loop operation.

Monitoring pauses when the catalytic converter, EVAP control system, and A/F sensor monitors are active.

Monitoring also pauses when any related enable criteria are not being met. Monitoring resumes when the enable criteria is again being met.

Comprehensive Component Monitor and Readiness Code
This readiness code is always set to available because the comprehensive component monitor is continuously running whenever the engine is cranking or running.

EGR Monitor and Readiness Code
NOTE:

Enable Criteria
ECT at 176 ºF (80 ºC) or more.

Procedure
Connect the HDS to the vehicle's data link connector (DLC).

Start the engine.

Drive at a steady speed with the A/T in D position or M/T in 4th gear, 50-62 mph (80-100 km/h) or above for more than 10 seconds.

With the A/T in D position or M/T in 4th gear, decelerate from 62 mph (100 km/h) or above by completely releasing the throttle for at least 5 seconds. If the engine is stopped during this procedure, go to step 2 and do the procedure again.

Check the OBD status screen for DTC P0401 in the DTC's MENU with the HDS.

If it is passed, readiness is complete.

If it is not passed, go to step 3 and retest.

I kicked cancer's butt! You might be next!!!! :)

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

His: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, commute beater car. Named Mater.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:38 AM
1st Gear

tried the drive cycle in the manual

I tried the drive cycle in the manual. Did it just like it said, which is hard to do in Austin. It didn't work.

HDS? DTC menu? Don't know what that stuff is.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Shopaholic!

Send a message via AIM to Pilot4Life
You're in Austin? Cool! If I were you I'd go out to loop 360 and try it. Or you could try a really good Honda shop that I know of. Precision Auto Works, it's off of I-35 behind Capitol Plaza shopping center where the new Target is. Their website address is www.precision-autoworks.com the site is uner constuction, but there is a map and contact info. Michelle is the name of the owner, and they're very straight forward with customers. They have free loaners too. Hope that helps somewhat. 512-45-HONDA (454-6632) is the phone number.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:53 AM
ready to go....

HDS = Honda Diagnostic System, the computer to diagnose.
DTC = is the Diagnostic Trouble (shooting) Code which tells which system has a malfunction.

His: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

Old 07-27-2006, 11:46 AM
ready to go....

Quote:
It didn't work.
Sounds like a blown fuse. Possibly the "back up" fuse. I'll see if I can find the location for you.

Looks like # 7 or #15 in the under hood fuse box.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 03 fuses.pdf (37.9 KB, 1125 views)

Old 08-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Used to Drive a Hummer H2

Ok, I'm wondering if it would be more appropriate to bump this thread or My previous thread about the EVAP system in our cars

I got a quick OBD scan with my new PC tool before going to work this morning, and my readiness code problem is from the EVAP system being "not complete". It looks like the Mahwah Honda tech was onto something back in May...

I'll try to post up the screenshots later on today

'05 Hummer Accord EX-L 4cyl/auto Navi

The legendary 20 MPG and Below-er

'07 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Navi/Bluetooth/VSC/Smartkey Sky Blue / Ash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.