Brake job, ABS fix - cost too much on 2004 Accord? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 09:20 AM
My First Post

Brake job, ABS fix - cost too much on 2004 Accord?

Hello and thanks in advance for any help/feedback:
2004 Honda Accord, 40k miles (my Dad originally owned it, it sat in driveway a lot until I took it over 3 years ago).

Recently the ABS light came on. About two weeks later there was a thumping noise coming from one of the front wheel sides.
Not related to above, I had a pre-existing issue with loose emergency park break.

Took it in to my regular Honda Dealer, and here's what happened:

$400 quote to replace left front wheel ABS sensor - I passed on this.

About $800 to do following, which I was told was related to thumping issue.

- replaced front pads & rotors
- replaced rear shoes - resurfaced drums & adjusted park brake

This car never had a break job before, so I was not surprised about brake pads needing replacement. But rotors? There was never that "screeching" noise typical when the brake pads are wearing down, where if you dont replace them the rotor could get screwed up.
Rear shoes? I thought those are supposed to last quite a long time.

Did I get ripped off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 AM
I <3 My Honda

I'm sorry that you had to go through this. :-\ But IMHO, you did get ripped off. I would have never spent $800 for a dealership to replace pads/rotors and shoes. That's about as much as my timing belt job cost!

All of that can be accomplished with a couple of hand tools and about 2 hours of time. Granite, I do understand that not everyone is wrench-handy or that your father may be older and can't handle intensive work (bending over/lifting/squatting/etc.) but my private mechanic probably would've done it for $100 labor + parts.

Most of the time, rotors don't need replaced with pads (sometimes they just need a clean shave) but ideally, yes you will get the longest/best performance out of your new brake pads if you replace the rotors at the same time. Rear shoes are a PITA to replace, but again, not expensive. They do last longer than front pads, yes, you are correct.

They must have killed you with the labor costs - d'you have your bill to see how much just in labor they charged?

As far as the ABS sensor, I would look online for a replacement one (will be a lot less expensive than OEM from the stealership) and see about replacing it. This is another thing not too complicated to replace
Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 AM

Big time rip but now is not the time to ask. Already done.

Like the poster above said, even if you are not capable of doing it yourself, an independent shop would be significantly less.

Here is why I do my own work. Looks like the ABS sensor is less than $100. So that's $300 in labor they are charging. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to replace.

The parts for the brake job is around $400 the most. So That's $400 in labor. I can do my car with just a jack doing one wheel at a time.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 AM
FL350

Replace the ABS sensor yourself. The sensor is less than $75 and it's about an hours worth of work. You will most likely have to drill out the old sensor as they are plastic and crumble/break off in the hub. Need a good shop vac to vacuum all the old plastic/crap out of the hub. But it's basically unplug, unbolt, reverse for the new part.

Learn to do brakes yourself. Good quality rotors and pads can be had for less than $100 for the fronts. Another hour job.

'11 Kia Optima LX
'09 Mazda 5 Grand Touring
'04 Honda Accord LX (no longer owned)
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 AM
5th Gear

I agree with everyone as well, I did my brakes all four corners including rotors in about 2 hour's as well as a new caliper and bleeding the lines, with a jack in the drive way just a couple of bolts setting the caliper back in was the hardest part didn't know it was a twist in other then that it wasn't bad.
Blitzsafe AUX input
18 inch wheels 245x45x18
Tint 20% rear 35% front
Parrot MKI9200
Old 08-07-2012, 12:03 PM
I <3 My Honda

Yes, the easiest way to reset the caliper piston is to go to an auto store and you can rent their tools for free (w/ deposit that you get back upon return). However, you can also get a crow bar or very large flat head screw driver and DIY. Make sure never to use a C-clamp to just press it back in, as this was the old way calipers were designed - not anymore... Anything to make a buck, I suppose. Make sure you take the cap off of your brake fluid reservoir before doing so to eliminate built up pressure inside of the lines!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:51 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminAccord View Post
Yes, the easiest way to reset the caliper piston is to go to an auto store and you can rent their tools for free (w/ deposit that you get back upon return). However, you can also get a crow bar or very large flat head screw driver and DIY. Make sure never to use a C-clamp to just press it back in, as this was the old way calipers were designed - not anymore... Anything to make a buck, I suppose. Make sure you take the cap off of your brake fluid reservoir before doing so to eliminate built up pressure inside of the lines!
Yes learned the hard way on that one but it was on the bad caliper so it didn't matter. Good to go now with the flat head method just did it by hand.
Blitzsafe AUX input
18 inch wheels 245x45x18
Tint 20% rear 35% front
Parrot MKI9200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
accord 04, brakes, rotors, shoes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.