2008 Accord EX-L Starter Help please! - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 08:13 AM
1st Gear

2008 Accord EX-L Starter Help please!

Goodyear surprised that a starter would go out on this vehicle, had me surprised as well. Problem is they are saying they have nowhere locally to purchase so they are having to get OEM, $364 + $92 in labor. Never thought a starter would be so expensive. Advanced auto parts can't get the item, coudn't tell me why, just said it's on their grey list and they can't get it. O'Reilly auto parts said that they can get one, they think, for $115.99, but their online store says unavailable and out of stock. I'm about to try a few more places, but if anyone knows where I can get a good starter online and not pay almost $400 I would greatly appreciate it. Respond here or anyone can feel free to email me, john.killmaster@yahoo.com, thank you in advance for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

bump, anybody have any advice for this or am I just SoL? Need to find something, but thinking I'm just going to have to pay almost $500 for a starter
Old 08-20-2012, 11:08 AM
4th Gear

Is your car a 4 Cyl or V6?

I just typed in "2008 Accord Starter" on ebay and found lots of new and salvaged ones listed from $20-$200.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

Just searched Rockauto for an 08 V6 5AT starter, they show to have 3 at $177. I've used them in the past with great results. Spent a decent amount of money with them when I had an F150 with 125k miles and it needed the front end rebuilt.

Www.rockauto.com

Don't know where you're at, but I'd personally call around your local auto parts stores instead of letting the shop do it. You might be surprised by what's available. The Accord is a very mass produced and common vehicle. It's not like you're looking for carburetor jets for a 40 year old triumph.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

awesome, that's a good start, of course I already told them to order the part , my car is the EX-L V6 3.5L. I called advanced, oreilly etc. and nobody could find it. The guy at Goodyear said it was because Honda hasn't released the cores for 3rd party manufacturers to produce. Seemed to be the case, the dealership would do it for $309, but $200 labor which would be more. I'm in Georgia. Thanks for the help. Now when I went to rockauto the starter I see for $177 is the starter motor, is that the entire starter? I'm not too savvy on mechanical issues.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM
4th Gear

The starter motor should be the whole starter.

Can I ask what the symptoms were and how many miles on your car? This is the first starter failure I've heard of on the 8th Gen other than a couple of people who had them replaced under warranty because they would sometimes make a strange noise at startup.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

I don't know what symptoms you had but I had intermittent issues starting my accord. After troubleshooting I determined it was the relay and not the starter itself. Changed it for $30, and never had a problem since. I would double check the relay myself. It's very easy to tell someone they need a new starter instead of just a relay.
To verify that your starter is dead, attach a wire to the positive lead on the starter (and the neg to ground) and check for voltage when you turn the key.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Don't mean to jump in on thread but I am having the same problem with my EX V6, and wanted to know if the relay fixed the OP problem or was it the starter?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.