02 Accord Ex stalls when idling - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 6th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 12:15 PM
j_mar

02 Accord Ex stalls when idling

I have a 2002 Honda Accord Ex 4 cyl thats been giving me the same problem for the past three months.In the morning my car starts up fine with no problem. During the day when im heading home, i try starting my car and it cranks up and tries to idle but then turns off. I try cranking it back up but wont turn back on for a while.sometimes it takes 10 to 15 minutes before it will start again. once i'm on the road at a light, it will idle real low for a while then go normal.sometimes it even turns off at a light.
yesterday, my car stalled again and a guy pulled over and told me this could be the main relay.Could that be the problem or would it be something else?any info helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 PM
6th Gear

The first thing I would recommend is cleaning the throttle body and idle control valve. If you want to DIY, there are several threads on that, you should be able to find it with a search.
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 PM
j_mar

thanks.any other ideas on what it would be
Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to MusicMan374
A couple other people have had the exact same problem and I don't remember what the fix was but you might want to search for those threads. Does the green key light flash when this happens? If so it could be the immobilizer system/ignition switch, but if it's dependent on engine temperature, probably not the case. In any case, there's either something plugging up the idle air intake (or possibly a horribly clogged EGR) or something related to the ignition system (electrical/distribution/etc). Main relay is a definite possibility but you might have to get a voltmeter and start testing stuff out. Does it lug before it dies? Like does the engine slowly start to drop RPMs or does it idle fine and then just suddenly turn off as if you turned the key off?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:32 AM
j_mar

when i start the car, the rpms will try to idle normally but then it starts to vibrate and turn off.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:45 AM

Have you replaced the spark plugs lately with some off brand plugs? battery connections clean and tight? Plug vin into hondas owner link to see if the ignition recall has been done.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:58 AM
j_mar

i checked the honda owner link but no luck.i changed the spark plug with ngk spark plugs.battery is in good shape
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 AM

What do you mean no luck with owner's link? Did you plug your vin into it?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 AM
j_mar

i plugged the vin in the owner link but the only recall that comes up is an airbag recall.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:22 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to MusicMan374
You should definitely get that airbag recall figured out, could be dangerous. Also, if your engine starts to shake before it stalls that indicates that it's not just suddenly losing spark, so probably not electrical or immobilizer related. Check your IACV (idle air control valve) and if it's gunked up, clean it, and clean your throttle body. It sounds like the engine is getting choked of air. It only stalls when idling right? It won't stall if you give it gas? Or during driving?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan374 View Post
You should definitely get that airbag recall figured out, could be dangerous. Also, if your engine starts to shake before it stalls that indicates that it's not just suddenly losing spark, so probably not electrical or immobilizer related. Check your IACV (idle air control valve) and if it's gunked up, clean it, and clean your throttle body. It sounds like the engine is getting choked of air. It only stalls when idling right? It won't stall if you give it gas? Or during driving?
+1 on everything, that airbag recall is regarding it going off while driving. It will be a free fix at dealer.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 PM
1st Gear

When you have idle and stalling problems, it may be the idle air control valve. From what I've learned, when the IACV fails, it needs replacement rather than cleaning. Also clean the trottle body whele you are at it. The engine will run smoother....
Old 08-30-2012, 05:26 AM
j_mar

will get the airbag checked out. but definitely will take all this feedback.I will post updates when i get it fixed which should be later today or tomorrow.if you have any other ideas,throw them at me
Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonya in TX View Post
When you have idle and stalling problems, it may be the idle air control valve. From what I've learned, when the IACV fails, it needs replacement rather than cleaning. Also clean the trottle body whele you are at it. The engine will run smoother....
A dealer will replace the idle air control rather than clean it since its faster and provides more profit for them. They can usually be cleaned satisfactorly if the only problem is a sticking IAC caused by oil deposits. I expect there some youtube videos if you want to DIY.
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 08-30-2012, 06:48 AM

I'm pretty sure the dealer here cleaned my IACV for free. After they cleaned the tb the gas pedal was still sticking so I took it back. I've had alot of work done there like the tbelt service, brakes, rear main seal, fuel pressure regulator, oil changes and rotations etc.

The tech was spending alot of time working in that area and he left one of his tools on the shelf right below the passenger windshield wiper. They called me and asked if I could return it which I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.