2012 USB iPhone Music, Pandora and More - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

2012 USB iPhone Music, Pandora and More

Not sure if many know this but there's a pretty good bit of stuff you can do with an iPhone thru the 2012 USB plug on the non-Navi EX-L. When I was researching my purchase, I didn't find any info on it other than you plug it in and it plays your music library.

First, if you have a large music collection on the iPhone or iPod, scrolling to find what you want can take a really long time spinning that scroll wheel on the non-Navi stereo. I didn't find it documented anywhere but you can scroll through those long lists of artists, playlists, and songs by large jumps by hitting the 'Category' up/down buttons to the left of the scroll wheel. I think the Accord manual says on Navi models you can move up/down full pages by using the up/down joystick (but non-Navi stereo only has the scroll wheel).

Beyond the iPhone music library, I was pretty stoked to find through experimenting that you can also use streaming music apps.

To use Pandora, Songza or Apple's Podcast app, you just select it directly from the iPhone itself. Whatever was playing previously will stop and switch to the new app. Track and artist info will display on the dash screen and if you shut off the car and re-connect the iPhone later, the music or podcast you were listening to will resume right where it left off.

I've noticed a couple times that the track info wasn't always displaying on the dash but switching the stereo to another source or disconnecting and reconnecting the iPhone usually clears it up. It's not a perfect system but it's WAY better sound quality than XM and a lot cheaper!

Last edited by editwizard; 09-06-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 05:03 AM
3rd Gear

Cool, didn't know that about streaming apps - now I just need an iPhone :p
Old 09-07-2012, 05:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to DOOM
if you have bluetooth little things like voice search in the yellow book app will process through your car speakers and mic. same with siri. ios6 will enhance this capability with siri being able to open apps (and manipulate them to a limited degree) for you via voice command.
Summer: 20" Vossen CV3/Nitto 555 | Winter: 19" Genesis Track/General GMax | BC Coilovers/SPC Arms | Mugen/Modulo Kit | Sarona Roof Spoiler | Quad Morimoto/xBa2 Halo/WIFI RGB Demon Eyes Retrofit | Fog Light Retrofit | Inspire OEM Mirrors/Garnish | Eagle Eyes Trunk/Tails | Full LED Exterior/Interior | UltraGauge | Takeda SRI | JET MAF | Magnaflow/Vibrant | SprintBooster | UR/Progress Bars | EBC Brakes | Duralast Gold | Next: RV6 J-Pipe
Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 AM
'09 Coupe EX-L V6 MT ABS

Question: I'm not sure how pandora works on the iPhone, but wouldn't it be using your cell signal to transmit the songs? so in essence you are using cell minutes?. Just curious...
'06 Civic Si Coupe - Sold :( to buy the Accord :)
'07 Pilot - Sold
Old 09-07-2012, 05:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to DOOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolie77 View Post
Question: I'm not sure how pandora works on the iPhone, but wouldn't it be using your cell signal to transmit the songs? so in essence you are using cell minutes?. Just curious...
your average [smart] cell phone bill has two independently billing components - data and voice. you won't burn minutes but you will consume from your monthly data allocation (if you have one).
Summer: 20" Vossen CV3/Nitto 555 | Winter: 19" Genesis Track/General GMax | BC Coilovers/SPC Arms | Mugen/Modulo Kit | Sarona Roof Spoiler | Quad Morimoto/xBa2 Halo/WIFI RGB Demon Eyes Retrofit | Fog Light Retrofit | Inspire OEM Mirrors/Garnish | Eagle Eyes Trunk/Tails | Full LED Exterior/Interior | UltraGauge | Takeda SRI | JET MAF | Magnaflow/Vibrant | SprintBooster | UR/Progress Bars | EBC Brakes | Duralast Gold | Next: RV6 J-Pipe
Old 09-07-2012, 05:52 AM
'09 Coupe EX-L V6 MT ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
your average [smart] cell phone bill has two independently billing components - data and voice. you won't burn minutes but you will consume from your monthly data allocation (if you have one).
That could get a bit pricey. Thanks for the explaination
'06 Civic Si Coupe - Sold :( to buy the Accord :)
'07 Pilot - Sold
Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

the average data plan can listen to 20 hours a month...of course that does not include your real data usage, texts, photos, vids and other things sent. remember streaming ipod tunes stored on phone is free...
Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by editwizard View Post
Not sure if many know this but there's a pretty good bit of stuff you can do with an iPhone thru the 2012 USB plug on the non-Navi EX-L. When I was researching my purchase, I didn't find any info on it other than you plug it in and it plays your music library.

First, if you have a large music collection on the iPhone or iPod, scrolling to find what you want can take a really long time spinning that scroll wheel on the non-Navi stereo. I didn't find it documented anywhere but you can scroll through those long lists of artists, playlists, and songs by large jumps by hitting the 'Category' up/down buttons to the left of the scroll wheel. I think the Accord manual says on Navi models you can move up/down full pages by using the up/down joystick (but non-Navi stereo only has the scroll wheel).

Beyond the iPhone music library, I was pretty stoked to find through experimenting that you can also use streaming music apps.

To use Pandora, Songza or Apple's Podcast app, you just select it directly from the iPhone itself. Whatever was playing previously will stop and switch to the new app. Track and artist info will display on the dash screen and if you shut off the car and re-connect the iPhone later, the music or podcast you were listening to will resume right where it left off.

I've noticed a couple times that the track info wasn't always displaying on the dash but switching the stereo to another source or disconnecting and reconnecting the iPhone usually clears it up. It's not a perfect system but it's WAY better sound quality than XM and a lot cheaper!
Hmm...So it works this way for you in your 2012 with the iPhone plugged into the USB cable. Have you had any issues with it messing up and saying "USB not supported" while playing Pandora (Amazon Cloud Player as well)?

I have a 2011 EX-L w/Navi and I have a hell of a time playing any streaming apps from my iphone (4s). Does anyone know if there are any firmware differences between 2011 and 2012 which may be causing this?
Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Stay Limber 12'EXLNav2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by //HAccord View Post
Hmm...So it works this way for you in your 2012 with the iPhone plugged into the USB cable. Have you had any issues with it messing up and saying "USB not supported" while playing Pandora (Amazon Cloud Player as well)?

I have a 2011 EX-L w/Navi and I have a hell of a time playing any streaming apps from my iphone (4s). Does anyone know if there are any firmware differences between 2011 and 2012 which may be causing this?
Happens on my few week old 2012 with Navi as well. I'm guessing it's a pretty universal bug as the dealer service guys have heard the complaint as well as a local audio shop. No solutions.

The podcast app is my biggest issue and since they're (podcasts) now out of iTunes app on the phone after the iOS6 update, it's a larger issue. I got around that by creating a smart playlist in iTunes on my mac of podcasts and playing my casts from there via the Navi unit instead of the podcast app on the phone. I haven't had it glitch out with that unsupported error since I did that but I haven't tried Pandora or since the iOS6 update either.

I'll try to remember to try Pandora later tonight when I run a few errands and post again.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:53 PM
4th Gear

I use MOG as my streaming music app and I also get the Unsupported error after it plays for about 30 seconds. I think I tried Pandora and it worked although I couldn't skip tracks with the car's audio controls. Luckily I'm fairly happy listening to XM most of the time. I've resorted to using the regular AUX input for MOG. I haven't tried anything since upgrading to iOS6 but I'm not very hopeful that its solved anything.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:05 PM

Yep, pandora and my radio show app still cut out periodically.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:24 AM
1st Gear

I have had success wih either reboot

Last edited by bc9000; 09-22-2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: I accidentally posted somehow while I was still composing my reply. :(
Old 09-22-2012, 06:31 AM
1st Gear

I have had success with both rebooting my phone or quiting whichever music app I plan on using. The reboot is of course the easiest as the whole point of iOS is to not have to manage apps but it seems like at times the saved state of my streaming app will conflict with the iPod links desire to utilize the "iPod" app for playback. For the reboot I just make sure I reboot before I plug my iPhone into my Accords USB connection. I will say that iOS 6 seems to be more stable to streaming apps used in this sort of method at least for me personally.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by //HAccord View Post
I don't have the Navi model... mine is the EX-L premium stereo with the simpler display. I'm using a 4S, previously with 5.1.1 and now iOS 6 for a couple of days. 6 is running great and actually the voice navigation by Siri has been amazing so far. Siri also launches apps like 'launch Pandora' and it starts playing.

But no, at that point I can't advance tracks by the steering wheel or radio controls. To return to regular iPod music, just use the selector on the dash.

I have trouble with the Podcast app too though. A lot of times it won't start streaming a show and I have to kill the app and relaunch it. But that's an issue with the app, not the Accord.

Maybe it's a stupid suggestion for those having trouble with Navi stereos but try another iPhone/USB cable just in case it's a cable issue.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc9000 View Post
I have had success with both rebooting my phone or quiting whichever music app I plan on using. The reboot is of course the easiest as the whole point of iOS is to not have to manage apps but it seems like at times the saved state of my streaming app will conflict with the iPod links desire to utilize the "iPod" app for playback. For the reboot I just make sure I reboot before I plug my iPhone into my Accords USB connection. I will say that iOS 6 seems to be more stable to streaming apps used in this sort of method at least for me personally.
Tried rebooting the phone on the way back from breakfast this morning, about 45 seconds and then unsupported error again with only the app running. That's not the problem but thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
I have trouble with the Podcast app too though. A lot of times it won't start streaming a show and I have to kill the app and relaunch it. But that's an issue with the app, not the Accord.

Maybe it's a stupid suggestion for those having trouble with Navi stereos but try another iPhone/USB cable just in case it's a cable issue.
I'll try a new cable on Monday as I'm away from home this weekend but it was working fine before the os update so that's probably not it. I agree with you that I'm sure it's the software and not the accord.

I have had no trouble playing podcasts with my smart playlist if you want a work around for the podcasts app problem for now. The problem is the way the smart playlists sort podcasts but at least it actually plays them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.