Surging Idle? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 6th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 AM
4th Gear

Surging Idle?

I've done a couple of quick searches with no luck. I'll try some more terms, but in the meantime, figured I'd throw it in a thread.

1999 Accord Sedan
J30A1 (V6)
Auto. Trans.

The car's idle is acting up. When it's cold...no issue. It starts when the engine is warm and the idle surges about 500rpm, up and then down, up and then down. It stops once the engine is under load though, so anything outside of park, and it doesn't happen. Haven't tried it in neutral.

Hayne's is kind of vague. Didn't have my Honda book with me at the time either.

Any ideas? Previous idle issues in non-Honda cars sent me back to Idle Air Control...again, no book handy (at the moment), but I don't remember reading about an IAC.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 10:24 AM

Sounds like IAC to me or vacuum leak. Unplug it and see if the surging stops. The last v6 I worked on would hold at about 3k rpm when I unplugged the IACV.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:41 AM
4th Gear

Thank you. The vacuum leak scares me...I have no idea where to begin. At least the IAC should be simple to locate with the aid of my books.

To the manuals.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Greg

IACV. Sounds like what mine did. If you want to try and fix it for awhile, locate it and tap it with a hammer. Maybe it'll stop for a bit but it needs to be replaced.

1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe - SOLD
3.0L V6
166,800 miles
35% Tint
Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 Headlight Bulbs

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gstone/accord
https://twitter.com/#!/YacketySax
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

Souds like the IAC vale. Make sure to gt an OEM from a Honda parts store. Aftermarket ones are junk.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 AM
1st Gear

I had a similar issue with my 98. Idle at cold and in drive was fine but when warmed up and in park would go back and forth. Tapped on the top of the throttle body with socket wrench and it would would idle down.

I took the throttle body off and took apart my IAC valve portion and it had some carbon deposits on the inside where the valve rotates. Cleaned everything up and it works fine now.

Here is link to an acura forum for some details.

http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458330

Last edited by jenga70; 10-23-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: added link
Old 10-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Out of Control

IACV. I had the same issue a while ago. I cleaned out my IACV after a while of this happening to me and it fixed the problem. I followed pretty much everything that was provided in the link.
2000 2dr. v6 Accord | Limo Tint | Black housing Crystal Headlights | Greddy MX Exhaust | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | R1 Concept slotted/ventilated rotors - Front | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | DC Strut Bar | 6000k HIDs | Pioneer DEH-P6000UB | Pioneer mid speakers | Matt Tweeters | Kenwood 4ch. 800w Amp | 2x 10" Sony Xplod 800w subs | Sony 1200w Class D Amp
Old 10-25-2012, 04:11 PM
James.uk

When my 96 Accord did that it was caused by a leaking inlet manifold gasket..
Old 10-26-2012, 05:36 AM
4th Gear

Thanks all. Going to try and get at it tomorrow.

Does it make a difference if it's a consistant surging? It's not random, it's almost melodic.

Regardless, it' going to be raced again so it can't hurt to get in there and have a look around before next spring.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:12 AM
1st Gear

Mine was melodic...about every two seconds or so...rpm climb up then drop off and then start climbing again.

I recall reading somewhere the computer was seeing the rpms climb versus the throttle position and was cutting the fuel to the engine until the rpm reached a certain setting and turning the fuel injection back on.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenga70 View Post
Mine was melodic...about every two seconds or so...rpm climb up then drop off and then start climbing again.

I recall reading somewhere the computer was seeing the rpms climb versus the throttle position and was cutting the fuel to the engine until the rpm reached a certain setting and turning the fuel injection back on.
Perfect. Thank you jenga....makes perfect sense. Trying for this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:10 PM
4th Gear

I was just looking around and saw this...

I finally did this late July...I replaced the whole unit. It wasn't terribly difficult and I found the instructions on this forum or one very similar and it worked like a charm. Fixed the idle instantly and the car seemed to run better all around. It was actually a little bit faster this year than last.

I always hate seeing a dead thread without an answer.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 AM
Out of Control

Glad to know it's all working! Don't you wish you had done it earlier now?
2000 2dr. v6 Accord | Limo Tint | Black housing Crystal Headlights | Greddy MX Exhaust | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | R1 Concept slotted/ventilated rotors - Front | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | DC Strut Bar | 6000k HIDs | Pioneer DEH-P6000UB | Pioneer mid speakers | Matt Tweeters | Kenwood 4ch. 800w Amp | 2x 10" Sony Xplod 800w subs | Sony 1200w Class D Amp
Old 08-22-2013, 04:21 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
Glad to know it's all working! Don't you wish you had done it earlier now?
Haha...it'd have been nicer to have more time to work on other things, but the reality is, she sits forgotten in the woods when she's not racing. "Winterization" is almost more work than race-prep.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:21 AM
1st Gear

That Did the Trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenga70 View Post
I had a similar issue with my 98. Idle at cold and in drive was fine but when warmed up and in park would go back and forth. Tapped on the top of the throttle body with socket wrench and it would would idle down.

I took the throttle body off and took apart my IAC valve portion and it had some carbon deposits on the inside where the valve rotates. Cleaned everything up and it works fine now.

Here is link to an acura forum for some details.

http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458330
After fixing a MAP issue(PO108 code) I noticed my car would idle fast just after putting in in park when arriving at my destination. When I ordered the new MAP and oring I purchased the TB and IACV gaskets at the same time.....that was a smart move! So, I ended up also using a rotary cutter to get past the Honda 5pt screws. That made cleaning the IACV a lot easier and I was able to lube the bearing on the magnet side. What a difference! The little valve moves with out any effort now. Car running perfectly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.