Remote engine start - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 AM
2nd Gear

Remote engine start

First post here. I am considering the 2013 Honda Accord. Website showed the price to be $400, before installation cost by the dealer. Does anyone know what is a fair price for the installation cost by the dealer?

Anyone got this? Are you happy with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

I have it on my EX-L. I liked my Infiniti push button start slightly better, but I am very impressed with it in the accord.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Out of Control

I have never understood well the remote start offered by several today. I think chevy charges around $200 and it is a factory option.

We have discussions about the wonderful MPGs we are getting only to kill the average remotely starting (presumably warming up whilst you wait). Remote starting while you approach the car seems hardly worth it.

I had this installed on my '92 Park Ave in 1999. I was newly married and in my old house with only a 2 car garage in Ohio. Wifey drove the Park to work and it was worthwhile to start her up in the kitchen (the car, that is) on cold winter days MPGs notwithstanding.

14 years later wifey would just have to drive off in a cold car (ain't I a stinker).
Seriously though, we have a 3 car now and no need for remote. I can't imagine needing remote but many people have various situations as I did.

Will it be like a treadmill in the basement used as a clothes hanger or will you really get $400+ installation of value from it?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 AM
No Gears, Got CVT :)

I asked a dealer if you still need the FOB to drive the car. He said yes. If he was correct, then you need to carry two things to drive the car.

I think the remote start will timeout unless you use a key or a FOB.

However, this dealer, not the one I got my car from, said I can get a Navi without Leather. So he may also be incorrect about the remote start. Something to look into.

My Previous new Accords:
1977 Accord Hatchback 2Dr CVCC 4Cyl MT
1986 Accord LX-i 2Dr 4Cyl MT
1994 Accord LX 2Dr 4Cyl MT
2003 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl MT

Photos of cars I owned/drove.
My YouTube MikesHDVideos Channel.

My opinion on Honda's Extended Care Warranty.
Navi FAQ. Info about aftermarket HomeLink.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Out of Control

Gm has an iPhone app that let's you start the car with the phone from anywhere in the world as long as you have Internet access. The commercial shows the father in London starting the Malibu for the teen daughter home in the states.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus360 View Post
First post here. I am considering the 2013 Honda Accord. Website showed the price to be $400, before installation cost by the dealer. Does anyone know what is a fair price for the installation cost by the dealer?

Anyone got this? Are you happy with it?
I got it installed on my EX-L. for $599 before tax by dealer 1 week after i got the car,
anh i like it better than the last version. that i got on my 2011 odyssey, it give you more info on 2 way communication, and yes, it true! you have to carry 2 remote, the remote starter and the key fob to able to drive off.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by just got_u View Post
I got it installed on my EX-L. for $599 before tax by dealer 1 week after i got the car,
anh i like it better than the last version. that i got on my 2011 odyssey, it give you more info on 2 way communication, and yes, it true! you have to carry 2 remote, the remote starter and the key fob to able to drive off.
Two remotes? That does not sound like progress to me. The original MB Keyless Go developed in Europe in the late '90s was a wallet card that unlocked the doors as you approached and locked them once you were 5 ft away-no fobs-that is space age technology.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
Two remotes? That does not sound like progress to me. The original MB Keyless Go developed in Europe in the late '90s was a wallet card that unlocked the doors as you approached and locked them once you were 5 ft away-no fobs-that is space age technology.
I only carry one remote in my car, but this is likely because I do not have the remote start feature.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
I'm curious, does the remote start on the 9Gen Accord allow you to open the car and drive off without re-starting the car. Or, does it shut down the engine when the door opens and require a re-start. Wondering if they have made this more user friendly.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 AM
6th Gear

I wonder if they have fixed the OEM one. Dealer wasn't installing them because the Range was so bad. I have aftermarket and the range is just unreal. With the OEM you had to basically be right next to the car before it came on.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:02 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii kings 9:20 View Post
two remotes? That does not sound like progress to me. The original mb keyless go developed in europe in the late '90s was a wallet card that unlocked the doors as you approached and locked them once you were 5 ft away-no fobs-that is space age technology.
lol.....
Old 10-09-2012, 04:06 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_man View Post
I'm curious, does the remote start on the 9Gen Accord allow you to open the car and drive off without re-starting the car. Or, does it shut down the engine when the door opens and require a re-start. Wondering if they have made this more user friendly.

Thanks
It shut down as soon as touch the doors or unlock the car
Then you have to restart and drive off. It does that on my
Old 10-09-2012, 04:09 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
I wonder if they have fixed the OEM one. Dealer wasn't installing them because the Range was so bad. I have aftermarket and the range is just unreal. With the OEM you had to basically be right next to the car before it came on.
The range was very good! Up to 400 feet away it work good for me.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:12 AM
04 Accord V6 6spd

My friends remote start on his element is phenomenal. It's a code alarm 2 way. He's started the car from across the lot in Costco before when we don't even get cell service sometimes haha... We parked the car on a long road once and started walking (cardio) and it started from about a half mile away... It's possible it could've gone further but why bother testing like when do you need more than that regularly lol.. You can set it on a timer so it starts same time everyday.. You can set it up to turn on every two hours for like 15 minutes to keep every thing warmed up in extreme cold.. Valet mode... 2 cars from one remote.. Windows, doors, trunk (extra wiring), all different kinds of stuff... All of my cars are manual and just for fear of that one day you forget to take it out of gear i wouldn't ever get one, but if i was to get one it be that

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

Continental ExtremeContact DWS
TL-S 20mm RSB/27.2mm FSB
K&N Typhoon Intake
Paul's Intake Manifold Spacer
ATLP V1 J-Pipe/RV6 Race Pipe
XLR8 Mounts (62a)
XLR8 Pulley (not installed)
Blitzsafe Hon Aux DMX v.2
Hand-Stitched (Red) Shift Boot
OEM Style Wing

Lighting:
Retro & LED Fog Strip
Full LED Interior + Footwells, Door Side Pockets, Reverse
Pic of most of the LEDs
Reverse LEDs
Custom-lit Coin Tray

My Coin Tray DIY
-CARDOMAIN-
Old 10-09-2012, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
It shut down as soon as touch the doors or unlock the car
Then you have to restart and drive off. It does that on my
I wonder why Honda made it that way - shut down. If you do a lot of start and stop, won't we run out of battery juice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.