First Oil Change - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM
1st Gear

First Oil Change

So I have never owned a new car before my accord. I have about 700 miles on it so far. I think Honda recommends 600-1000 miles for "break-in" of the motor. Is changing the oil early for the first time recommended? Or should I stick to the standard interval? I was just thinking of any metal bits that may be in the oil due to the new engine or is that an antiquated line of thought? I might just be looking for an excuse to get under it an tinker around. I know it wont hurt to do it, but does it really help. Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Continuously Varying

Stick with Honda recommended oil changes. Most manufacturers use break-in oil, and even if a small piece of debris was in the oil from assembly (extremely unlikely) that is what the oil filter is for.

...Honda has paid a lot of good money to some engineers who determined what is best for their cars. I stick with what they recommend, as Honda has to back it.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM
4th Gear

What you are thinking was the right thing to do back in the day, first oil change @ 500 to 1000 miles.

With these new cars you want to have first oil change @ the factory recommend interval...look in your owners book or ask your dealer.

For my 10 sedan I did first oil change @ 5000 & have been changing it every 3000 miles with synthetic

Other rides:
3 big body Cadillacs
85 Fleetwood Brougham d'elegance
90 Brougham d'elegance
05 Deville DTS
Old 10-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Continuously Varying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelayyat View Post
What you are thinking was the right thing to do back in the day, first oil change @ 500 to 1000 miles.

With these new cars you want to have first oil change @ the factory recommend interval...look in your owners book or ask your dealer.

For my 10 sedan I did first oil change @ 5000 & have been changing it every 3000 miles with synthetic
Every 3000 with synthetic??? The oil companies love your line of thinking.....unless you've run some oil analysis tests with someone like Blackstone labs you are throwing money away.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:02 PM
No Gears, Got CVT :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassface View Post
So I have never owned a new car before my accord. I have about 700 miles on it so far. I think Honda recommends 600-1000 miles for "break-in" of the motor. Is changing the oil early for the first time recommended? Or should I stick to the standard interval? I was just thinking of any metal bits that may be in the oil due to the new engine or is that an antiquated line of thought? I might just be looking for an excuse to get under it an tinker around. I know it wont hurt to do it, but does it really help. Opinions?
Noooo! Do not change the first oil way early. Honda recommends the normal interval. I plan to change my oil when the oil life is around 20%. Honda also states that the oil is special. This has been debated for a long time on web sites like Bob is the oil guy or something like that. I had the factory oil on my 03 analized. The lab said it had larger amounts something which is used to protect and break in a new engine.

I recommend changing the filter with each oil change. I also use Pennzoil platinum. I changed that car's oil around 7500. 10000 was recommend for normal driving which I was doing at that time. My 03 had over 142k miles when I sold it. It used almost no oil, and got 37 mpg for highway driving.

I was talking about Molly. Read this.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/

My Previous new Accords:
1977 Accord Hatchback 2Dr CVCC 4Cyl MT
1986 Accord LX-i 2Dr 4Cyl MT
1994 Accord LX 2Dr 4Cyl MT
2003 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl MT

Photos of cars I owned/drove.
My YouTube MikesHDVideos Channel.

My opinion on Honda's Extended Care Warranty.
Navi FAQ. Info about aftermarket HomeLink.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:56 PM
'13 Accord Sport

Yeah, as others have said, don't prematurely change your oil during the first changing interval. Honda calls it break-in oil for a reason. I wouldn't be surprised if your warranty would be void if a problem comes about, and they knew you changed your oil so early.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Out of Control

Same here 15-20% oil life. Honda or Napa Gold Filter? I wish the filter were bigger than a lawn mower filter. I have posted elsewhere my results with a Filtermag and drain bolt mag: They work. I'll be putting on my Filtermag when I do the LED DRLs
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

As a side note: Is it a canister type or spin-off oil filter? Thanks.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:41 PM
2nd Gear

My plan is to run the factory fill until 5000 miles or so, and switch to Mobil 1 0w20 AFE and I have bunch of Mobil 1 and Pureone oil filters at home from those Autozone oil/oil filter combo sale.

Got the car on 10/05, already have 1800 miles..
Old 06-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Wanda Honda

Can't read Dipstick!!!

So I finally did my first oil change today but I am a little bit unsure of something. After I put the oil into the car, I tried to use the dipstick to check the oil level to see if I am under filling or overfilling. However, I can't tell with the dipstick where the oil level ends.

I bought the 5.1 Qt Mobil1 jug and I used the indicators on the side of the jug and poured approximately 4.2 Qt. I know the engine requires 4.3 Qt as stated in the manual but I was afraid of overfilling it. I'm afraid I didn't put enough oil in, but at the same time I don't want to overfill it. Should I have poured more in?

Please help a newbie out!

Mods Performed:
VLED's V3's 5K Switchbacks LED Front Turn Signals
VLED's V3's Amber LED Rear Signals
VLED's V3's Red LED Brake Lights
VLED's 5K Reverse LEDs
DDM Tuning 5000K 35W HID
CREE 5K LED for light strip
Interior/License Plate LED
LED Strip Trunk Lights
LEDGLOW accent lights in foot well
Polk 6.5" Component Speakers
exLED Rear Bumper Reflectors

Mods in Future:
Window Tint
Old 06-29-2013, 05:34 PM
2013 EX-L V6-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dum_Plings View Post
So I finally did my first oil change today but I am a little bit unsure of something. After I put the oil into the car, I tried to use the dipstick to check the oil level to see if I am under filling or overfilling. However, I can't tell with the dipstick where the oil level ends.

I bought the 5.1 Qt Mobil1 jug and I used the indicators on the side of the jug and poured approximately 4.2 Qt. I know the engine requires 4.3 Qt as stated in the manual but I was afraid of overfilling it. I'm afraid I didn't put enough oil in, but at the same time I don't want to overfill it. Should I have poured more in?

Please help a newbie out!
Why wouldn't you take it to the dealer? They'll usually do the first oil change free of charge. Or at least take it to a mechanic. Oil changes are very inexpensive. You can't gauge the exact amount of oil from the dipstick. That's why you should measure it before pouring it in.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Wanda Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
Why wouldn't you take it to the dealer? They'll usually do the first oil change free of charge. Or at least take it to a mechanic. Oil changes are very inexpensive. You can't gauge the exact amount of oil from the dipstick. That's why you should measure it before pouring it in.
Getting a full synthetic oil change here costs about $60 with a coupon whereas I can get the full synthetic oil and oem filter for $30. That's why I did it myself, but that besides the point. What's done is done and all I can do is go forward and not "you should've measured it before pouring it in." I will probably do that next time.

Anyways, The side of the oil jug have indicators on how much oil is left in the bottle. Like I said earlier, I poured about 4.2 Qt...not sure if it needs more since I cant tell with the dipstick.

Mods Performed:
VLED's V3's 5K Switchbacks LED Front Turn Signals
VLED's V3's Amber LED Rear Signals
VLED's V3's Red LED Brake Lights
VLED's 5K Reverse LEDs
DDM Tuning 5000K 35W HID
CREE 5K LED for light strip
Interior/License Plate LED
LED Strip Trunk Lights
LEDGLOW accent lights in foot well
Polk 6.5" Component Speakers
exLED Rear Bumper Reflectors

Mods in Future:
Window Tint
Old 06-29-2013, 05:48 PM
I Love My Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
That's the worst advice. Take it to the dealer? You know they FVCK shit up at the dealer right?

Just because it is inexpensive doesn't mean it should be done by someone else especially if you are capable. Apparently you are NOT.

Quote:
Anyways, The side of the oil jug have indicators on how much oil is left in the bottle. Like I said earlier, I poured about 4.2 Qt...not sure if it needs more since I cant tell with the dipstick.
I filled mine to 4.5 QTS with filter change at 10,500 miles. The oil went up to the middle of the dipstick. The side measurements of the oil cans are usually accurate and is what I used when I've done my past oil changes for since forever.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:53 PM
. . .

Quote:
Were you on a level surface?

1. pull dip stick out
2. wipe it clean
3. reinsert dip stick all the way in
4. pull dip stick back out
5. check oil level.... it should be between min and max

If it's hard to see where it's at, putting it under a light may help.

If you don't see anything, maybe you don't have enough oil. Add some more. Maybe you need all 5 qts.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 PM
4th Gear

Most (all?) manufacturers reccomend changing oill filter every other oil change. Ever wonder why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.