How many miles left when your gas light goes on? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM
2nd Gear

How many miles left when your gas light goes on?

2005 honda accord lx 3.0 v6 coupe. just curious because last night my gas light went on and i just wondered how many miles do i have left when it does go on? btw i filled it up lol.
  • 2 JL Audio ZR100-CT Tweeters
  • 2 JL Audio TR-050-CT Tweeters
  • Pioneer Deck DEH-3200UB With Dash-Kit.
  • Kicker DS 693 Front & Kicker DS 525 Rear.
Performance Upgrades
  • K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake
  • Front EBC Sports Rotors
  • Performance Spark Plugs
  • Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads
Visual Upgrades
  • Dark Tints (Don't Know What Percents, Came With The Car)
  • 6000k HIDS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 01:22 PM
4th Gear

On my old 2.4l 06 sedan, I always loved pushing the limits of that car, when my gas light turned on i got as much as 37miles, one time but that was mostly highway, city driving I probably got about 25miles before i got scared and filled up,

"None are more hopelessly enslaved then those who falsely believe they are free" - Goethe

Current Car: 2007 Accord V6 3.0L EX AT (W/O Navi)
Old 11-29-2012, 02:01 PM
6th Gear

It seems that the general rule of thumb with Hondas (and perhaps other makes/models) is that there is generally about 4 gallons left in the tank when the gas light first comes on. I have never tried to (nor will I) see how far my car can go on the light, but it's definitely a very generous distance. I recall there being an article about it in one of the major auto magazines and they were able to squeeze about 112 more miles out of a Chrysler Town and Country (clone of the Dodge Caravan) after the low fuel light came on.

1989 Honda Accord LX sedan
177,XXX miles

2001 Lexus ES300 Platinum series
79,XXX miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
70,XXX miles
Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM
1st Gear

Miles after light

I went about fifty miles after the light came on once... wasn't really by choice and I was sweating bullets the whole time, then when I filled up I could only put a little over fifteen gallons in!! 05' V6 EX AT (17.1 gal tank... I'm pretty sure) so now I feel more comfortable about going at least 40... still get anxious but my daily drive is 100 each way and since that puts me at home on the fourth trip when I'm around 400mi the light comes on around 380 almost every time. I only do this because I'm a little picky about where I fill up... only about price haha hooray for kroger points!!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM
I <3 My Honda

My gas light usually comes on around 300-320 miles or so (combined driving) on an '07 3.0 V6 coupe and I've pushed it as far as 375 miles before stopping to fill up. Even then, I only fill up 15 / 17.1 gallon. Again, it isn't advised to play Whammy! with your gas tank, especially in the winter as it seems that gas is consumed faster.

'07 EX-L V6 Coupe w/ Navi
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather

TL Bi-Xenon Retro | TSX LED Mirrors | Spec-D Fog Lamps | 30% Tint | Alpine Sub System | BlitzSafe AUX | USA Spec BlueTooth
OEM HFP Kit | OEM Visors | Trunk Spoiler | CCD Back-up Cam | Tein Coilovers | Ingalls & Megan Camber Kits | H&R TRAK+ | Yakima Rack
18" 8G V6 10-Spokes (Winter) | 19" 8G HFP 10-Spokes (Summer)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:11 PM

On the highway I am confident that I can go 90 or more miles @ 31-33 mpg. I usually go as much as 60 more before I stop and even then I get less than 16 gallons in that tank.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
I went about fifty miles after the light came on once... wasn't really by choice and I was sweating bullets the whole time, then when I filled up I could only put a little over fifteen gallons in!! 05' V6 EX AT (17.1 gal tank... I'm pretty sure) so now I feel more comfortable about going at least 40... still get anxious but my daily drive is 100 each way and since that puts me at home on the fourth trip when I'm around 400mi the light comes on around 380 almost every time. I only do this because I'm a little picky about where I fill up... only about price haha hooray for kroger points!!
I just bought my car a few weeks ago, and out of curiousity, pretty much did this same thing last night into today. When I went to fill up, it took 15.4 gallons, 360 miles, mixed driving, 6MT. I was shocked. A bit of a change from my Expedition King Ranch that I was commuting with for the past few months, about 60 miles per day round trip.
'03 NHBP Coupe 6-6, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Borla stainless exhaust, Ingalls Torque Damper, TL-S Swaybars, Neuspeed short shifter, Eibach Pro springs, Wicked Tuning camber arms, '12 Coupe 18s with 235/45/18 tires, OEM Replica Spoiler, LED tails, exLED Interior Lights projector HLs, GTA Car Kit (iPhone and aux)
Old 11-29-2012, 04:07 PM
4th Gear

I usually have about 2.5 - 3.5 gal left when the light comes on or shortly thereafter.. Best not to run it too low.. the fuel pump is submerged in the tank and is lubricated and cooled by the fuel.. not good to get it overheated or run them dry..
previously owned:
2004 Accord EX V6 auto
2003 Accord EX V6 auto
Old 11-29-2012, 07:12 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnutz View Post
i usually have about 2.5 - 3.5 gal left when the light comes on or shortly thereafter.. Best not to run it too low.. The fuel pump is submerged in the tank and is lubricated and cooled by the fuel.. Not good to get it overheated or run them dry..
^^^^ true
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Povy > Dreaminaccord

I went 140 miles after the light came on coming back from NC this summer. That was pure highway though. When I filled up I only put 15.5 and it's a 17 gal tank
Lots of mods.
Mod master

Romans 1:16 Maranatha!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:49 AM
Carpe Diem

I'm pretty sure the owner's manual says that when the gas light comes on you have ~2 gallons of gas remaining.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 AM
4th Gear

When my light comes on, the trip computer says I have 89 miles left. It is pretty consistent. I've driven it to 10 miles left and put in just over 16 gallons. It could have gone a little further. I wouldn't want to try, though.
Tinted Windows 20% rear 32% sides
TL Rear Sway Bar
60wX4 RMS amp, upgraded speakers
Backup Camera
Breyton 17X8 45 offset wheels
Old 11-30-2012, 04:50 AM
4th Gear

3.2 gallons left in tank according to readout from ultra-gauge. 3 gallons left in the tank is to help drivers go a little further if needed and also fuel pump cooling as others have stated.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 AM
I <3 My Honda

f1snob - is the Miles to Empty only on the NAVI systems? My audi had that and it's one of things I miss the most! Even when it said 0 miles I still had a gallon left (it was in case some idiot really wanted to push it I suppose). I never did - I'd always feel up around 25 miles to empty, but others on the forums would post their gauge and then their gas receipt showing they still had a gallon left

'07 EX-L V6 Coupe w/ Navi
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather

TL Bi-Xenon Retro | TSX LED Mirrors | Spec-D Fog Lamps | 30% Tint | Alpine Sub System | BlitzSafe AUX | USA Spec BlueTooth
OEM HFP Kit | OEM Visors | Trunk Spoiler | CCD Back-up Cam | Tein Coilovers | Ingalls & Megan Camber Kits | H&R TRAK+ | Yakima Rack
18" 8G V6 10-Spokes (Winter) | 19" 8G HFP 10-Spokes (Summer)
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmh1596 View Post
I just bought my car a few weeks ago, and out of curiousity, pretty much did this same thing last night into today. When I went to fill up, it took 15.4 gallons, 360 miles, mixed driving, 6MT. I was shocked. A bit of a change from my Expedition King Ranch that I was commuting with for the past few months, about 60 miles per day round trip.
I completely understand, I also have a 99 suburban... gets about 14 mpg downhill it's only saving grace was the enormous 42gal fuel tank! HOWEVER...my accord gets the same miles per tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.