car shakes like hell when starting up - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2006, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

car shakes like hell when starting up

so my 06 v6 coupe well, shakes like hell when i start it up. but it only shakes when i start it up cold, like when i havent driven it for a day. And today, i started it up again after having not driven it for a week, the entire car was shaking and rattling when it started up, and there were a number of rattles while it was in park, but they disappeared when i put it in drive. i have no idea what is going on with this car.

the shaking started after i installed my fujita cold air intake. i didnt really pay much heed to it until today because it was pretty darn shaky when i started it up today. could the fujita be the cause of this? any other people with cold air intakes experience this? Is this something i should be worried about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 02:35 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Hmmm.. Mine shakes a little bit, but not that much... It's kinda like the vibration on the cell phone when mine shakes (which is normal). I'd check for a loose connection in the crankcase vent tube. How long does it shake?
<a href=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/SSMV6/accord target=_blank><a href=http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png target=_blank>http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png</a></a> . . . . Last tank mpg = 32.2mpg

2005 Accord EX-V6 Sedan (3/05-1/13) retired at 127,110 miles
1993 Accord 10th Anniversary Edition Sedan (5/08-7/10) Retired at 153,007 miles
2000 Civic Si (5/00-3/3/05) Retired at 59,500 miles
Old 09-01-2006, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

it shakes when the engine is trying to catch, but then goes away once the car is on.

its kind of like a heavier shake but thats not as like "buzzy" as a cell phone vibration.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Carpe Diem, Carpe Viam...

Bad engine mounts maybe?

Even though it only does it on "cold" starts that still makes some sense...being that to me a cold engine always cranks a little longer/harder than a warm one (and the J30A4/5s seem to stay warm to some degree forever)...

How is the car at idle? If your at a light and put it in neutral and rev it a bit does the car shake more than normal?
TIRES: 215/50R17 Fuzion ZRIs, 205/60R16 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s (on steelies)
Previous Car: 1995 White Pontiac Sunfire 5MT Coupe 410,000KM - R.I.P
Old 09-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Downhill Both Ways!

Check engine light? Any codes? When I hear about an engine really shaking at idle I immediately think dead cylinder. A bridged or damaged spark plug would do it, as would a clogged injector. The other, simpler possibility is that the engine is running at extremely low RPM for a little while after it catches. That would indicate an idle control problem, which might be electrical. Did you have to mess with any wiring when you installed that intake? If so, I would check it again to make sure everything is connected as it should be. (Pull the connectors and re-seat them to make sure they really went home.) The suggestion to look for loose vacuum tubes was a good one, too. Then pull the spark plugs and see how they look. Damage would be obvious, and the coloration/debris if any will tell you if there is a rich or lean-burning problem on a particular cylinder.

Good luck!
2007 Prius...I can haul junk again!
Old 09-01-2006, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

the car in idle is fine. when i rev it in neutral it just purrs like its supposed to. no check engine light, no codes. it doesnt shake in idle, just when turning the key.

and yeah we took out some of the plugs around the crank case when we installed the intake. ill check em out tommorrow. all the tubes were fine.

I wont really be able to check the spark plugs because im at college right now and dont have the space or tools to do any real work on the car.

how do i check the engine mounts / where are they?

i dont know, i just bought the car 1-2 months ago, so i might just be paranoid. is this even a big issue? the car runs just fine, its just when im turning the key. the next time i go home (mid october) i'll take it to a dealership and pay them 90 dollars to look at the engine for 10 minutes and then say we don't see a problem. but, it doesnt sound like anything serious does it? the air intake couldnt have messed with the engine could it, like fuel/air ratio?
Old 09-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Me sofa king we Todd did

Send a message via MSN to saxdogg
so wait...this problem started after you installed the intake? and it RUNS fine, but shakes when CRANKING over to start it? I'm afraid you're not being very clear...
JP
Old 09-01-2006, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

haha yes, exactly. sorry for the confusion. yes it just shakes when its cranking. couldnt think of that word
Old 09-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Me sofa king we Todd did

Send a message via MSN to saxdogg
I'm not so sure it isn't "shaking" as any car does when cranking.....if it's running fine as soon as it starts up I wouldn't worry....is it cranking differently since adding the intake?
Old 09-02-2006, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

the vibration is just a lot stronger after installing the intake while cranking from a cold start. otherwise, crank time and everything else is the same.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
My owner manual says that it may take longer to crank the engine at times because the car is trying to start in the most efficient, cleanest way. [paraphrased] There are quite a few sensors that help the engine make these start up decisions. Keeping that in mind and the fact that the rough cranking started when the new intake was put on, maybe the freer flowing intake is fudging one of the parameters causing a moment of "hesitation" while it figures out what to do.

Given that everything is fine once it's running, I wouldn't worry about it.

Come & Gone: 84 Accord HB, 91 CRX Si, 89 Accord LXi, 90 Accord LX Cpe, 94 Accord EX, 95 Accord EX Cpe, 98 Accord EX, 99 A4, 03 Accord EX-L, 91 Civic RT4WD Wagon, 06 Accord EX-L NAVI

From The Dark Period: 01.5 Passat, 08 Accord 6-6
Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 AM
My First Post

I have a very similar problem with my 99 accord. sometimes when i crank it,it shakes, other times it doesnt. well i drove for about 40 minutes the other day on the highway.everything was normal,but when i got off the highway,at a red light my thermostat begin to rise, before i knew it,the meter shot up,it did not smoke. the oil light came on.at this point i pulled into a gas station.let my car cool,added 50/50 coolant. 5w30 oil[as read on my cap) and i got my car back home fine.figure i was just low on oil and/or coolant. so i drive the car again for about 20 minutes and my check engine light pops on.this time i take the car home,next day i drive it aorund the block[it shook when i crunk it) my check engine light went off. now i plan on taking it to the shop. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? or maybe a estimated guess on shop expenses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.