My I4 Engine Takes 5 QT of Oil with a new filter - Page 7 - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 10:38 AM
My First Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post
Awesome hint. I was gonna be sure the nitrogen was topped off in the tires also...that's at least as important as having the A/C running.
I just replaced the summer air in my tires, with fresher fall air too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

Sorry to hash an older thread but I had the same issue. I changed my 2014 Accord sport with the I4 at 3318 with 60% on the MM and 6 months in time. My driving is 65% city and 35% highway. I did a lot of short trips as well. I did my oil change myself and it was lifted in the front only by jack stands. I changed the oil when it was hot, changed the filter, replaced the crush gasket, ran it and checked for leaks, lowered it and let it sit. It was at the halfway mark when it was on the ground sitting for a few. So I added a quarter quart and I was 3/4 to the top line. The next morning I checked it and I was a quarter quart below the top hole. Checked it again the following morning and same thing. I had driven it about 20 miles and when I got home after work I added the last quarter of a quart which brought my total to 5 qts. 5 quarts is totally possible if the car is in the air and the engine is hot since oil flows faster when it's hot. I also used a Fram Ultra 7317 oil filter which is the same size as the one I replaced.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pstar For This Useful Post:
karfreek (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 09:35 AM
5th Gear

My opinion is the the level shouldn't exceed the max (top level) ever. I think that's the hot reading. I feel when the car is dead cold in the morning and perfect flat surface, it should read 3/4. Then when you drive it, the reading will reach exactly top level. To each their own.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:04 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCFenton1 View Post
But whether I refill with 4.4 or 5.0 quarts, it just will not make any difference. If 4.4 doesn't bring it to the full mark, I'm sure it won't be much below. And if 5.0 goes over the full mark, it's not going to "blow a seal" or anything like that. Honda engineers certainly know that not all owners (or "quick-change" places) will be that exact.
Not just owners. My Honda Dealer overfilled my car on the first oil change. I'll do it myself from now on. Can't trust the dealer to do it correctly either.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:11 AM
'13 Silver EX Sedan M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstar View Post
Sorry to hash an older thread but I had the same issue. I changed my 2014 Accord sport with the I4 at 3318 with 60% on the MM and 6 months in time. My driving is 65% city and 35% highway. I did a lot of short trips as well. I did my oil change myself and it was lifted in the front only by jack stands. I changed the oil when it was hot, changed the filter, replaced the crush gasket, ran it and checked for leaks, lowered it and let it sit. It was at the halfway mark when it was on the ground sitting for a few. So I added a quarter quart and I was 3/4 to the top line. The next morning I checked it and I was a quarter quart below the top hole. Checked it again the following morning and same thing. I had driven it about 20 miles and when I got home after work I added the last quarter of a quart which brought my total to 5 qts. 5 quarts is totally possible if the car is in the air and the engine is hot since oil flows faster when it's hot. I also used a Fram Ultra 7317 oil filter which is the same size as the one I replaced.
I noticed the same. 4.5qts would get me to about the 5/8 mark between the dots. Putting in 5qts gets it to the top dot. When I change the oil going forward I will just put in all 5-quarts.

When I drain the oil I let it sit while I mow the lawn or do other stuff. It is done dripping when I get back. Maybe that makes a difference over a dealer or mechanic doing it quickly to get it done and maybe I get more oil out.

EDIT: note the above is with a filter change at the same time.

And maybe of a dog ate red clay and had a square a$$hole it would $hit a brick...maybe.

Lol

Jay
Old 10-30-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm a Motorist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow85 View Post
My opinion is the the level shouldn't exceed the max (top level) ever. I think that's the hot reading. I feel when the car is dead cold in the morning and perfect flat surface, it should read 3/4. Then when you drive it, the reading will reach exactly top level. To each their own.
The hot reading is lower than the dead cold reading because oil hasn't had as much time to drain back to the pan. You've got it backwards.

I don't do anything with the oil when its not hot. I drain it hot so it runs out in 2 minutes. Fill it with 4 qts. Back off the ramps, let the oil circulate for a while, shut off, check oil level after a minute, add more oil to the full dot.
----
91 Octane Tune - KTuner
9G HFP Wheels on Michelin PSS
Koni FSD Coilovers
UR Full Chassis Kit + 22mm Sway Bar
EX Calipers, Hawk HP Plus Pads, Drilled Rotors, SS Brake Lines
Mechman 180A Alternator, Big 3 Upgrade
----
Valentine One, HP-905 Laser Jammer, Nexus 7, Scantool MX, Garmin 2555LMT, Galaxy S5, Sleek 4G booster || Dash Cam
Old 10-30-2014, 10:36 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfreek View Post
I noticed the same. 4.5qts would get me to about the 5/8 mark between the dots. Putting in 5qts gets it to the top dot. When I change the oil going forward I will just put in all 5-quarts.

When I drain the oil I let it sit while
I mow the lawn or do other stuff. It is done dripping when I get back. Maybe that makes a difference over a dealer or mechanic doing it quickly to get it done and maybe I get more oil out.

And maybe of a dog ate red clay and had a square a$$hole it would $hit a brick...maybe.

Lol

Jay
Good to know. After Im done draining and replacing filter I will simply dump the entire 5 quart jug in there !

Mods
OEM Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Acura TL Leather Shift Knob
DDM HID Slim Kit 4300K

Past Honda's
2012 Accord LX Sedan Auto
1992 Accord EX Sedan 5MT
The Following User Says Thank You to THE BIG TUNA For This Useful Post:
ltxi (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 11:16 AM
'13 Silver EX Sedan M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG TUNA View Post
Good to know. After Im done draining and replacing filter I will simply dump the entire 5 quart jug in there !
note: the above is with a filter change at the same time.

Jay
The Following User Says Thank You to karfreek For This Useful Post:
ltxi (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 11:20 AM
'13 Silver EX Sedan M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
The hot reading is lower than the dead cold reading because oil hasn't had as much time to drain back to the pan. You've got it backwards.

I don't do anything with the oil when its not hot. I drain it hot so it runs out in 2 minutes. Fill it with 4 qts. Back off the ramps, let the oil circulate for a while, shut off, check oil level after a minute, add more oil to the full dot.
The reading should be higher when hot after the car has sat off 3-5min. Oil expands when hot. It also flows better and does not need much time to get the pan.

I have a thread showing the difference in readings on a hot vs cold engine buried somewhere.

If you read between the lines Honda wants you to check it hot. They suggest doing it at the gas station at refuel.

Jay
Old 10-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Out of Control

I always change the filter every oil change regardless of what the manual states..

Mine takes 5 qts and it matters not whether it's hot or cold. Minimal difference on the stick immediately after driving or first cold morning. On my first change i tried 4.5 qts and it was well below the max (still safe though). On nearly all oil changes I never put the full amount in right away. I usually stop a half quart shy and top off on level ground.

Cars: '80 Citroen CxD, '85 Peugeot 505TD, '80 300SD,'94 Alfa 164, '86 Alfa GTV6 street/race, '69 Eldorado, '04 RX8, '85 Merkur Xr4Ti, '02 Boxster, '79 Le Sabre, '05 300C, '13 Leaf
The Following User Says Thank You to II Kings 9:20 For This Useful Post:
ltxi (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 02:21 PM
3rd Gear

My experience too

When I changed my oil and filter, 4.4 quarts didn't even reach the bottom mark on the dipstick. I put a little more in, and ran it for a day. The next day I added the remainder of the fifth quart to bring the level up to the top mark on the dipstick.

Go figure. Maybe we got short dipsticks.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:23 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man View Post
Maybe we got short dipsticks.
Speak for yourself
Old 10-30-2014, 05:37 PM
'13 Silver EX Sedan M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Ed View Post
Speak for yourself
What he said!

Jay
Old 10-31-2014, 04:38 AM
4th Gear

I had to use 5 quarts in mine as well.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to andysinnh
I did countless oil changes on my '05 Accord LX with the 2.4L 4cyl - and 5 quarts always brought it to the full mark when changing, using a new Honda OEM A01 filter - and the couple times I needed to use an A02 it was the same. Never understood why/how it was 4.4 qts listed, since that brought it to the halfway mark of the dipstick every time. BTW, same is true for my wife's TL with the 3.7L - 4.5 qts on paper, 5 qts in reality. go figure...

andy

12 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech Package (White, Wife's toy) 19k miles
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD Base (White, mine) 16k miles
14 Honda Accord LX Sedan (Black, Son#1's) 6k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX 4WD (Black, Son #2's) 114k miles
08 Mini Cooper Hatch (White, Son #3's) 122k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.