05 EX i4 transmission noise? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

05 EX i4 transmission noise?

I have an 05 Accord ex i4 with a 5 speed auto. 131000 miles. Whenever you're moving (not necessarily accelerating) you can hear the transmission whine. As you go faster, the pitch gets higher and by the time I reach 60 mph I can't hear it anymore. It doesn't start making the whine sound until it shifts to 3rd gear, which is when it's at its loudest.

It does this when the car is cold and warm, but after about an hour of use it becomes less and less noticeable. I just had a transmission fluid change done (I thought that was the problem) but yet I can still hear it. Is this normal? Suggestions and tips from anyone would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM
I <3 My Honda

First of all, welcome to DA!

Was the ATF drain/fill done by Honda, a private mechanic or some chain like Jiffy Lube? Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they told you they changed the ATF but really didn't. Have you verified that their work was done by wiping the ATF dipstick off with a clean white cloth to verify that it's brand new and bright pink? So many customers get ripped off on this. Also realize that unless they used a special machine to drain the old fluid out and pump the new fluid in at the same time, not all of your ATF fluid has been changed - only 3-3.5 qts of it. That is why we all suggest doing a 3x drain/fill here on the forums. You drain and refill what you drained, then drive for a while making sure that the transmission is able to drive in all gears while at full operating temp, then you drain and fill for a 2nd time (another 3-3.5 qts), then once again drive at full operating temp, then a 3rd drain/fill to ensure that all of the ATF fluid has been replaced with new. The easiest way to be sure that you have driven far/long enough is to do 1 ATF drain/fill every oil change (3,000-7,500 miles).

My suggestion would be to go out and buy 3-4 qts of OEM Honda DW-1 ATF fluid and do just 1 drain/fill on your own (regardless if your dipstick is coming back pink) - the main reason why I say this is so you can see the magnetic drain plug - you want to see with your own eyes how much metal debris is was/is collecting.

I have been reading how replacing the 3rd & 4th Pressure switches (roughly $73 for both switches & new washers) is making a world of a difference in others' automatic transmissions, both with low and high mileage. It may be something you want to do a search for on the forum - lots of good info on here

G'luck and keep us posted!

'07 EX-L V6 Coupe w/ Navi
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather

TL Bi-Xenon Retro | TSX LED Mirrors | Spec-D Fog Lamps | 30% Tint | Alpine Sub System | BlitzSafe AUX | USA Spec BlueTooth
OEM HFP Kit | OEM Visors | Trunk Spoiler | CCD Back-up Cam | Tein Coilovers | Ingalls & Megan Camber Kits | H&R TRAK+ | Yakima Rack
18" 8G V6 10-Spokes (Winter) | 19" 8G HFP 10-Spokes (Summer)
Old 01-09-2013, 06:03 PM
6th Gear

Changing the tranny fluid is good maintenance advice, but it won't do a thing for the whine you are hearing. Neither will swapping out the switch packs. I suspect your tranny is shifting just fine.

I have a somewhat similar issue but I only hear it when I accelerate. In my case, it seems to be final gear whine.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=68970
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Honda Racing Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
Changing the tranny fluid is good maintenance advice, but it won't do a thing for the whine you are hearing. Neither will swapping out the switch packs. I suspect your tranny is shifting just fine.

I have a somewhat similar issue but I only hear it when I accelerate. In my case, it seems to be final gear whine.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=68970

1 drain and fill is good enough.

"Put your two cents in, and get a dollar back"
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Mike

Just a quick note that the I4 Auto is different internally in a number of ways compared to the V6. Pressure switch operation is different and usually not a problem. as Drew03Accord said, your tranny is likely ok, some have a slight whine while others don't hear it or have none. Cause has been discussed here before (usually diff thrust clearance) and V6 AT can be more noticeable.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM49 View Post

1 drain and fill is good enough.
Good enough if you keep your fluid clean to begin with. If the tranny fluid is dirty and worn out, 1 drain and fill means the bad fluid quickly contaminates the good. To start off with a car of unknown history, I'd say do the 3x drain n fills and change the tranny filter. Thereafter, 1 drain and fill every 15 -20k should suffice. I've been doing this for years and I barely get to wipe anything off the magnet.

Mike, I've always wondered about the differences between the V6 and i4 autos. Haven't seen much talk about it. Care to discuss?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Mike

Quote:
Mike, I've always wondered about the differences between the V6 and i4 autos. Haven't seen much talk about it. Care to discuss?
Hi, just a few "from memory" would be different hydraulic flow control and PCM programming. A 2nd gear pressure switch and no 4th switch. Extra shift solenoid valves, shorter 1st gear engagement time as the V6 selects 3rd gear before finally selecting 1st, the I4 just selects 1st. Along with lower engine torque, the need to soften shifts would also likely be less resulting in substantially reduced wear and heat in clutch packs and TQ and therefor fewer reported problems with the I4 AT.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Honda Racing Evolution

Quote:
Good enough if you keep your fluid clean to begin with. If the tranny fluid is dirty and worn out, 1 drain and fill means the bad fluid quickly contaminates the good. To start off with a car of unknown history, I'd say do the 3x drain n fills and change the tranny filter. Thereafter, 1 drain and fill every 15 -20k should suffice. I've been doing this for years and I barely get to wipe anything off the magnet.

Fair enough!

As for doing 3x drain and fill every time you change fluid is overkill IMHO. I know people love to do it earlier and also do 3x drain and fill but that's up to them.. I'm personally sticking only to one drain and fill. Any shop or dealership will also do one drain and fill. That's good enough.

3x drian and fill?

Name:  AuK68cWCQAAxAdD (1).jpg
Views: 161
Size:  36.4 KB

EDIT: Honda recommends first one to be changed at 100,000km and then every 48,000km

Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Mike

As Drew03Accord said and I think you agreed, if the oil is dirty or very old you would do 3 x DDR. I think most people would be doing only one drop (3L) when required UNLESS the OIL has suddenly darkened.

HONDA recommended change interval was in the service manual BEFORE they realised they had a problem. How often depends on how you drive and I'm not referring to Spirited driving as it's not necessarily a problem, slow driving can also be hard on the trans if someone is continuously forcing the TQ to go in and out of lock by the way they use the throttle at low speeds in D.

Dealers used to do ONE drain and fill at 100,000 hopefully that has changed across the board.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Honda Racing Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCz View Post
As Drew03Accord said and I think you agreed, if the oil is dirty or very old you would do 3 x DDR. I think most people would be doing only one drop (3L) when required UNLESS the OIL has suddenly darkened.

HONDA recommended change interval was in the service manual BEFORE they realised they had a problem. How often depends on how you drive and I'm not referring to Spirited driving as it's not necessarily a problem, slow driving can also be hard on the trans if someone is continuously forcing the TQ to go in and out of lock by the way they use the throttle at low speeds in D.

Dealers used to do ONE drain and fill at 100,000 hopefully that has changed across the board.
Still is unless I don't know about it (1 drain and fill). I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Honda's recommendation I posted was from 07 owners manual. They were well aware of the problem. The 8th gen doesn't even give you the change interval period. It just says to change whenever the "3" pops up on MM but pretty sure same change interval (above)applies here.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Mike

Honda were aware years before 2007. Can anyone guess why they did not change the manual or handbook recommendation. I sure you know from your research that this oil change discussion has been done to death and as a result those of us who spent so much time and effort reading through Hondas own investigation and the published findings that resulted from it are not going to get into another long discussion years after the event.

So to end my final post here (it's also getting off the thread topic), I think most of the owners who take the time to use these forums are quite capable of doing their own research. The information is there and like some of us they may decide to keep an eye on the oil and change it based on vehicle usage and other indicators and not on Hondas 100,000 one drop recommendation
Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Honda Racing Evolution

Quote:
Honda were aware years before 2007. Can anyone guess why they did not change the manual or handbook recommendation. I sure you know from your research that this oil change discussion has been done to death and as a result those of us who spent so much time and effort reading through Hondas own investigation and the published findings that resulted from it are not going to get into another long discussion years after the event.

So to end my final post here (it's also getting off the thread topic), I think most of the owners who take the time to use these forums are quite capable of doing their own research. The information is there and like some of us they may decide to keep an eye on the oil and change it based on vehicle usage and other indicators and not on Hondas 100,000 one drop recommendation
Yes I know and you don't have to follow Honda's 100,000 change interval. I'm not even there yet and I changed my fluid around 60-65k. One thing I don't buy is 3 x drain and fill. There are people here who have done this and yet their transmission went bad. Like I said no shop out there will do 3x drain and fill for you unless you tell them. 1 drain and fill is good enough if done on regular bases.

w/e makes you happy do it!! but rem I too will get to 300,000km without a issue with only 1 drain and fill. Beyond that I don't even know if I will have the car but I don't expect the auto transmission to last. Stick gearbox is a different story.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Honda were aware years before 2007. Can anyone guess why they did not change the manual or handbook recommendation.
Because it would be tantamount to an admission of guilt. Wouldn't be in line with their attempt to deny that a problem existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM49 View Post
Yes I know and you don't have to follow Honda's 100,000 change interval. I'm not even there yet and I changed my fluid around 60-65k. One thing I don't buy is 3 x drain and fill. There are people here who have done this and yet their transmission went bad. Like I said no shop out there will do 3x drain and fill for you unless you tell them. 1 drain and fill is good enough if done on regular bases..
Yeah, I'd say 100k fluid change intervals are crazy on just about any car, much less a problem prone Honda. And yes, you are right that repeated 3x drains are excessive.

At the risk of repeating myself, I wanted to elaborate on that very first drain n fill though, as that's the only one I'd do 3x along with the filter change. I say this because the original fluid will have gone through the new tranny's break-in period which would be particularly productive in the metal shavings dept (similar to engine break-in). So... you'd want to change that completely and change the filter so it doesn't go into bypass mode. After that, it's all gravy.
Advertisement

Tags
7th gen, accord, honda, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.