Brake pad rubbing against rotor or something else? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 AM
3rd Gear

Brake pad rubbing against rotor or something else?

I replaced all 4 brake pads sometime a while ago. Now my rear driver side brake is making a very low pitch metal rub sound. I took apart my tire again and re-lubed everything, sprayed brake cleaner and still getting this very light metal rub.

I jacked up my car took the tire off again. Now with the caliper still on and brake pads on, it spun the rotor, I can hear the sound. It spins freely with what seems to be no resistance. I pulled off the caliper and brake pads and there is no noise. So its as if the caliper is squeezing a little too much? Or maybe my rotor is slightly bent. One interesting thing is when I spin my rotor there's about a quarter of the rotor where it's silent. The other 3/4 will make a "rub" noise. None of the other tires have this noise! It drives fine, I can only hear when going < 20 mph and when passing fences or an object for the sound to reflect off of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 11:52 AM
2nd Gear

I had this same problem last month. I came to realize that the rear brake pad was getting low, I think 2-3mm. When the pad gets to low, then the indicator starts making a metal on metal noise. Not sure if this is what you have, but by what you are noticing sounds just like you have a low brake pad.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Baba Booey

Shot in the dark, but maybe the Ebrake isnt releasing all the way on that side? Did you have the rotors turned when you slapped on the new pads?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09cbp6mtsteve View Post
Shot in the dark, but maybe the Ebrake isnt releasing all the way on that side? Did you have the rotors turned when you slapped on the new pads?
You know I just placed slapped on new brake pads, didn't do new rotors because I read many places that you shouldn't have to replace rotors if you take care of your brake pads.

These are new brake pads to the post above BTW.

I think it may be the Ebrake not releasing completely, i heard that somewhere else. They said something about tuning the ebrake. I might go somewhere to have it checked out, and dish out $$$$$$$....
Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Baba Booey

When the old pads came off, was the wear pattern nice and even on them? Are you located anywhere near socal so we could check it out at my house maybe?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooderthanyou View Post
I replaced all 4 brake pads sometime a while ago. Now my rear driver side brake is making a very low pitch metal rub sound. I took apart my tire again and re-lubed everything, sprayed brake cleaner and still getting this very light metal rub.

I jacked up my car took the tire off again. Now with the caliper still on and brake pads on, it spun the rotor, I can hear the sound. It spins freely with what seems to be no resistance. I pulled off the caliper and brake pads and there is no noise. So its as if the caliper is squeezing a little too much? Or maybe my rotor is slightly bent. One interesting thing is when I spin my rotor there's about a quarter of the rotor where it's silent. The other 3/4 will make a "rub" noise. None of the other tires have this noise! It drives fine, I can only hear when going < 20 mph and when passing fences or an object for the sound to reflect off of.
had this problem in october. the pads were worn out. the metal shims on the pads make contact with the rotors, eventually the sound will become louder
Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 PM
3rd Gear

Guys the brake pads are about 6 months old. They are not worn out and look fine. I just took it apart again and lubed up the sliding pins but still the noise is there.

Now the interesting thing seems that both rears have a "rub" sound if I lift up the car and spin it freely. The difference is the passenger rear side does not make this sound when driving and only the driver side will emit a rather annoying sound, the same sound when i'm spinning the rotor. Of course if I remove the caliper it's quiet, so it doesn't seem to be the brake shield like others have said. I can hear it going 25MPH or below... I'm thinking my rotor is uneven somehow even though I can not see it. The rotor feels smooth so i'm not sure what's going on.

here's a video of it,
http://youtu.be/B7b2RK7Udwg
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 PM
mobiless2

Sounds like a warped rotor, since you have certain spots with no noise.
2005 SSM LX I-4 Auto Sedan: TL-S FSB / TL-S RSB / Tokico HTS Shocks / Neuspeed Sport Springs / 18" Element SC Wheels / 225-45-18 / TSX Rotors / CR-V Dual Piston Calipers / Drum to Disk Conversion / SS Brake Lines / K&N SRI / Japspeed TSX Header / TSX IM / P2R Thermal Gaskets / Ralco Pulleys / HFP Front Lip / OEM Deck Lid Spoiler / TSX Mirrors / Fogs / HID Retro-Fit / K40 262K

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto Sedan: Weapon-R I Throttle / TL FSB & RSB / Morimoto H1 / Fogs / K40 / Viper 5704 132K
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooderthanyou View Post
Guys the brake pads are about 6 months old. They are not worn out and look fine. I just took it apart again and lubed up the sliding pins but still the noise is there.

Now the interesting thing seems that both rears have a "rub" sound if I lift up the car and spin it freely. The difference is the passenger rear side does not make this sound when driving and only the driver side will emit a rather annoying sound, the same sound when i'm spinning the rotor. Of course if I remove the caliper it's quiet, so it doesn't seem to be the brake shield like others have said. I can hear it going 25MPH or below... I'm thinking my rotor is uneven somehow even though I can not see it. The rotor feels smooth so i'm not sure what's going on.

here's a video of it,
http://youtu.be/B7b2RK7Udwg
the rotor sounds warped. or the shim on the pad is protruding onto the rotor
Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Wrench Turner

My '08 Coupe does the exact same damn thing, on the drivers front caliper. I've tried everything. It sounds like the wear indicator is barely scraping (most noticable when you are driving with the window open, while driving past a wall or fence on the driver side). When you lightly press the brake pedal, it goes away. The only thing I've noticed are shiny "wear" spots on the brake pad shims. If I replace the shims the noise goes away for a month or two, then comes back. After two sets of different manufacturer shims, I gave up on it! It is insanely annoying though, I know what you're talking about....
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 AM
My Forth Accord

I would have the rotor turned to see if you can get the uneven spot out of it. I would at least try that before I bought a new rotor.
97 EXL VTEC 4, 5 speed, Emerald Green (hot ride at the time. I was a freshman in college).
Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 AM

Check to see whether you bent the inboard dust/water shields on each corner. That's the piece of sheet metal behind the rotor when you remove the disc. The shield is heavy sheet metal and easily bent especially during a brake job. If the rotor is off and there's a shiny spot on the shield. that's where it was rubbing. Bend it out and you should be good to go.

2007 SE I4 5AT, Cool Blue, 67k
2004 EX I4 5MT, Desert Mist, 160k

Also in the family:

2009 TSX, navy, auto
2011 TSX, black, M6 Tech
2012 Crosstour V6, black
2013 Civic EX, gray
2014 Honda HRX217 (2)

Departed:
2001 Accord EX I4 5MT, Satin Silver, oil slick at 86K
1999 EX-LV, Heather Mist, sold at 146,567
1994 Accord LX I4 5 MT ABS, Malachite Green, traded at 285k
Old 01-15-2013, 06:07 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reframmellator View Post
Check to see whether you bent the inboard dust/water shields on each corner. That's the piece of sheet metal behind the rotor when you remove the disc. The shield is heavy sheet metal and easily bent especially during a brake job. If the rotor is off and there's a shiny spot on the shield. that's where it was rubbing. Bend it out and you should be good to go.
Thanks, I was looking at how to take the rotor off but i'm sooo tired of jacking my car up and pulling everything apart.

Besides I don't think it's that since I get noise 75% of the time and only 25% of the rotor is silent.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM
1st Gear

I had this problem too with the e brake not releasing. Honda fixed it under warranty. But I did not get new pads out of them.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaccord View Post
I had this problem too with the e brake not releasing. Honda fixed it under warranty. But I did not get new pads out of them.
So i'm partially thinking that can be the issue too. It's strange I only noticed once I changed my brake pads out. But I was told to use the ebrake as much as you can that it "helps" load on the brakes. I'm wondering if that's why it may be stuck on ebrake...for that wheel.

Then again I can push in the caliper pretty easily, so it doesn't seem like the parking brake is making it stick...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.