2011 E350 vs 2013 Accord Touring DILEMMA - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear

2011 E350 vs 2013 Accord Touring DILEMMA

Hello guys,

I'm in a dilemma right now. Please help me choose. I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Yesterday, a friend of mine told me that the dealership he's working at had a leased car coming in for sale.

Car A:

2011 CPO White E350. 18000 miles. Sold on May 22nd, 2011. One owner. Looks like brand new. No Navi though. everything else is standard. OTD price is 35000.

Car B: 2013 Honda Accord Touring. Black. OTD price is 33000.

Personally, Mercedes Benz has always been my dream car. No matter it's new or used. I know it's kinda expensive to maintain and repair this car. The good thing is this car only has less than 20000 miles, which I think it's pretty good considering this car has been out for almost 2 years. The bad though is this car doesn't have navigation included and no line watch, which I really like it on accord. Everything else would be pretty standard. Nothing worth to mention.

On the other hand, the Accord seems really worth the money because it's reliable and "cheap" to maintain, and it's brand new to me. It has everything I can imagine on a car. Most importantly, it's 2000 cheaper!!!.

I know you guys all have Honda cars, and you guys might be biased. But please, Help me choose between these car rationally and wisely.

Last note, I'm planning to keep either car for 2-3 years because I'm currently in a college, and I want to buy a brand new Benz after graduating from school.

I would appreciate any inputs.

Thanks
Trojan,
Fight on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

Is the E350 CPO? That could make a world of difference.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Hello guys,

I'm in a dilemma right now. Please help me choose. I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Yesterday, a friend of mine told me that the dealership he's working at had a leased car coming in for sale.

Car A:

2011 CPO White E350. 18000 miles. Sold on May 22nd, 2011. One owner. Looks like brand new. No Navi though. everything else is standard. OTD price is 35000.

Car B: 2013 Honda Accord Touring. Black. OTD price is 33000.

Personally, Mercedes Benz has always been my dream car. No matter it's new or used. I know it's kinda expensive to maintain and repair this car. The good thing is this car only has less than 20000 miles, which I think it's pretty good considering this car has been out for almost 2 years. The bad though is this car doesn't have navigation included and no line watch, which I really like it on accord. Everything else would be pretty standard. Nothing worth to mention.

On the other hand, the Accord seems really worth the money because it's reliable and "cheap" to maintain, and it's brand new to me. It has everything I can imagine on a car. Most importantly, it's 2000 cheaper!!!.

I know you guys all have Honda cars, and you guys might be biased. But please, Help me choose between these car rationally and wisely.

Last note, I'm planning to keep either car for 2-3 years because I'm currently in a college, and I want to buy a brand new Benz after graduating from school.

I would appreciate any inputs.

Thanks
Trojan,
Fight on!
If you only plan to keep the car for 2-3 years, you should go with the Accord since it has better resale value.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
Is the E350 CPO? That could make a world of difference.
YES. It's a CPO car.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

Well, given that it's CPO and you can deal with lack of technology (I can't I'm a gadget freak which means anything I buy will be optioned up), if it's your dream car you might have to go for it.

On the other hand, where are you in life? I didn't buy a "nice" car until I was 30 (3 SAABs followed by a BMW 335i). Now that I'm mid-40's and looking back at all the disposable income I spent on cars, I'm here in the Accord forum considering a downgrade (or is it?) in my daily driver.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mode360 View Post
If you only plan to keep the car for 2-3 years, you should go with the Accord since it has better resale value.
Not necessarily. The Benz would be used and already took a substantial depreciation hit. The Accord would be new, and like any new car, would take the same hit, except on his watch. But both cars would continue to depreciate.

I would say money-wise, the Benz is the better option since you'd be buying a $50K+ car for $35K whereas with the Accord you're buying what's essentially a low $20K car (the base trim) but paying a load for all the extra options. Just one way to look at it. If you're planning to buy a new Benz in a few years anyway, I'd say don't buy either one of these, and find a cheaper car for now. Save your money.

Something to consider: Mercedes have this silly "safety" feature that automatically opens the air circulation after a set amount of time. This can be annoying if it happens just as you're driving behind a stinker. Also, the current E-class has somewhat narrow, sporty seats that didn't fit my somewhat wide shoulders well. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the Benz doesn't have issues with poor door/window sealing and wind noise on the highway.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Out of Control

I hate to be a bubble burster but CPO is a complete joke. Check what is not covered in the CPO warranty and you'll be shocked. Audi is the worst, MB and BMW are not far behind. What happens when the CPO is up. CPO is not the same as the factoy bumper to bumper-my CPO 2008 750 did not cover eletronics like Nav, CD, heated/cooled seats to name a few.

Do you keep a European car without a warranty? If so, you are either insane or super rich. Smart people don't buy MB, Audi, or BMW. They lease under warranty and at lease end, they drop the keys at the dealer and RUN away.

As one who loves and has owned many Euro cars, modern German iron is less reliable than any domestic car but the German cars have a certain je ne sais quois that Ford just can't match.

Cars: '80 Citroen CxD, '85 Peugeot 505TD, '80 300SD,'94 Alfa 164, '86 Alfa GTV6 street/race, '69 Eldorado, '04 RX8, '85 Merkur Xr4Ti, '02 Boxster, '79 Le Sabre, '05 300C, '13 Leaf
Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Well, given that it's CPO and you can deal with lack of technology (I can't I'm a gadget freak which means anything I buy will be optioned up), if it's your dream car you might have to go for it.

On the other hand, where are you in life? I didn't buy a "nice" car until I was 30 (3 SAABs followed by a BMW 335i). Now that I'm mid-40's and looking back at all the disposable income I spent on cars, I'm here in the Accord forum considering a downgrade (or is it?) in my daily driver.
Well put on looking back. Looks like I am not the only one "tired" of spending money on fancy schmancy cars even though I can afford it. I chose the Accord because it was a smart buy, great car, and I love the way it drives and it's features.

Cars: '80 Citroen CxD, '85 Peugeot 505TD, '80 300SD,'94 Alfa 164, '86 Alfa GTV6 street/race, '69 Eldorado, '04 RX8, '85 Merkur Xr4Ti, '02 Boxster, '79 Le Sabre, '05 300C, '13 Leaf
Old 03-13-2013, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
but the German cars have a certain je ne sais quois that Ford just can't match.
Exactly . . . I have AAA Autoguard 7/100K warranty for my 2007 335i but it's up in about a year so internet window shopping. The warranty was $3000 way back when I bought it and it's truly bumper to bumper (includes "luxury electronics"). However it has also paid for itself to the tune of $4800 in warranty work (100% engine related) so as much as I love the 335i, I can't keep it past about this time next year. BMW does now (I think) offer extended warranties that cover electronics but they are of course priced so that BMW doesn't lose money. The N54 engine was an unknown quantity when I bought my warranty and as a result has more than paid for itself.

Either car you will pay maintenance on either but for sure the maintenance will be cheaper with the Accord, and once the CPO is up on the E350, what do you do? The Accord will likely still be running strong long past when the CPO warranty is up and cost a lot less to maintain.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
The Accord will likely still be running strong long past when the CPO warranty is up and cost a lot less to maintain.
I think you're thinking of the old-school Accords that basically had a seat, steering wheel and pedals to get you reliably from point A to point B. Even the base LX trim nowadays is quite loaded, and the Touring is border-line luxury car, feature-wise. A lot of things that can break.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselGuy View Post
Not necessarily. The Benz would be used and already took a substantial depreciation hit. The Accord would be new, and like any new car, would take the same hit, except on his watch. But both cars would continue to depreciate.

I would say money-wise, the Benz is the better option since you'd be buying a $50K+ car for $35K whereas with the Accord you're buying what's essentially a low $20K car (the base trim) but paying a load for all the extra options. Just one way to look at it. If you're planning to buy a new Benz in a few years anyway, I'd say don't buy either one of these, and find a cheaper car for now. Save your money.

Something to consider: Mercedes have this silly "safety" feature that automatically opens the air circulation after a set amount of time. This can be annoying if it happens just as you're driving behind a stinker. Also, the current E-class has somewhat narrow, sporty seats that didn't fit my somewhat wide shoulders well. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the Benz doesn't have issues with poor door/window sealing and wind noise on the highway.
Appreciate your input.

The reason I'm so impressed with benz is because its quality.

When I was like 10, my uncle bought a benz, and my father had a toyota Camay. When I first time opened benz's door, I was so shocked that its door was so heavy and felt so confident. The entire car was a solid steel to me back then. However, when I compared my father's Jap's car. I was so disappointed that Toyota manufactured cars with cheap material. The door was so light. From then, I set my goal that when I got money, I would buy a Benz no matter what.

However, I'm still in a college, and I want to spend my money wisely. I don't want to buy car just for its look or fame. I want to buy a car for reliability and quality. So here I am, debating.......
Old 03-13-2013, 04:18 PM
2nd Gear

It's not that I don't like Japanese car. It' just that their quality is far behind.... I don't know if you guys notice that how light the accord's doors are compared to Benz's giant heavy doors.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:22 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Appreciate your input.

When I was like 10, my uncle bought a benz, and my father had a toyota Camay. When I first time opened benz's door, I was so shocked that its door was so heavy and felt so confident. The entire car was a solid steel to me back then. However, when I compared my father's Jap's car. I was so disappointed that Toyota manufactured cars with cheap material. The door was so light. From then, I set my goal that when I got money, I would buy a Benz no matter what.

However, I'm still in a college, and I want to spend my money wisely. I don't want to buy car just for its look or fame. I want to buy a car for reliability and quality. So here I am, debating.......
Well, the doors on the new Accord have that quality feel, even though they don't seal all that well. Did you test drive both cars? I understand the allure of the Mercedes Benz. It can make you think irrationally though. It's just a car. Usually a good-quality car, but they've had their bad years too. Reliability-wise, I'd still put my money on the Accord, but that's based on anecdotal evidence rather than anything scientific. Mercedes may be having good years now though. At least they scored well on the JD Power surveys, right along with Honda.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:24 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Appreciate your input.

. I don't want to buy car just for its look or fame. I want to buy a car for reliability and quality. So here I am, debating.......
As seen above, it is clear that "quality" (at least perceived) does no equal reliability. To me, this is an easy decision. One will be cheap to maintain, and a great car. The other will be very expensive to repair, and while I looks nice, will be a money pit.
'03 NHBP Coupe 6-6, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Borla stainless exhaust, Ingalls Torque Damper, TL-S Swaybars, Neuspeed short shifter, Eibach Pro springs, Wicked Tuning camber arms, '12 Coupe 18s with 235/45/18 tires, OEM Replica Spoiler, LED tails, exLED Interior Lights projector HLs, GTA Car Kit (iPhone and aux)
Old 03-13-2013, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmh1596 View Post
As seen above, it is clear that "quality" (at least perceived) does no equal reliability. To me, this is an easy decision. One will be cheap to maintain, and a great car. The other will be very expensive to repair, and while I looks nice, will be a money pit.
Another thing that needs to consider is I'm still in college. So based on that, which car do you recommend? I'm kinda a low profile guy, so it's not about image at all. Here are the things that I'm looking at when I'm shopping cars: gas cost, maintainence, reliability, driving experience, and most importantly resale value (I keep my car between 2-3 years.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.