P1399, what is it? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 6th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Out of Control

P1399, what is it?

What is P1399? My car starting throwing this code and it's not in this CEL Codes thread. Anybody know what this is? THIS and THIS are the only threads I found with 1399 relating to the v6, but they're not anything solid on how to go about fixing the issue. The only thing I've gathered from the 1399 is that it's a random cylinder misfire code. My Accord has thrown specific and random mis-fire codes before, p0300 - p0306, but it has only happened due to the Heat Soak issue. HERE's another thread on the heat soak issue.

Outside of a possible spark plug or coil pack issue, I'm not finding any real solid leads on this code. I did find a couple other P1399 thread related codes, but they were for the i4.

As for what I am experiencing, my car will accelerate just fine from a stop as long as I keep the throttle under 2500 RPM. However, between 2500 RPM - 3000 RPM, she will vibrate and sputter and will have a lack of power between this specific range. Above 3000 RPM, all sputtering and vibrating goes away and power returns like normal. VTEC kicks in and she runs like she's supposed to. Driving on the freeway, I have to be driving at 2500 RPM or otherwise she'll just sputter and vibrate if I'm in that 2500 - 3000 RPM range.

Not sure if it matters, but she does need some TLC. I had been saving up to put in some TLC into my other car and spent that money earlier this week towards getting my other car done. I was hoping that my Accord wouldn't have any issues pop up as I can't spend money on both cars at the same time since money is a bit tight right now. But here's the TLC that my Accord will be receiving as soon as I can get the money for it:
  • Spark plugs haven't been done in about 100k
  • Valves need to be adjusted
  • IM gasket needs to be replaced. I noticed some oil on it when I cleaned the EGR port a few months ago.
  • Replace EGR valve. I'm also getting a p1491 code and I have cleaned out the EGR port a few months ago
  • Replace IAC valve. I cleaned it a few months ago, but I don't think I did a good enough job of that so I want to replace it instead
  • Replace valve cover gaskets. My car is leaking oil from here

Her TLC list is pretty long, but I'm not sure if doing all this will fix this new code or if it's related to something else. Will getting this TLC done on my Accord fix this new P1399 issue or could it be caused by something else?
2000 2dr. v6 Accord | Limo Tint | Black housing Crystal Headlights | Greddy MX Exhaust | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | R1 Concept slotted/ventilated rotors - Front | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | DC Strut Bar | 6000k HIDs | Pioneer DEH-P6000UB | Pioneer mid speakers | Matt Tweeters | Kenwood 4ch. 800w Amp | 2x 10" Sony Xplod 800w subs | Sony 1200w Class D Amp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Professional Bum

Once you take care of your car, then the problem may be fixed. It may be as simple as taking your spark plugs out and cleaning them....until you can afford the $12-$15 to replace them. It could be the spark plug wires. Sounds like you car is having a hard time at high RPMs.

Typically that's a timing/ignition problem. Step 1. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel filter. Step 2. Have the coil and ICM tested.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Out of Control

2000 and up, no wires, cap, or rotors. They have coil packs.
2000 2dr. v6 Accord | Limo Tint | Black housing Crystal Headlights | Greddy MX Exhaust | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | R1 Concept slotted/ventilated rotors - Front | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | DC Strut Bar | 6000k HIDs | Pioneer DEH-P6000UB | Pioneer mid speakers | Matt Tweeters | Kenwood 4ch. 800w Amp | 2x 10" Sony Xplod 800w subs | Sony 1200w Class D Amp
Old 03-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Out of Control

Update.

Earlier today I made a quick errand in town. Total drive was like 5 miles roundtrip. The whole time she was sputtering when sitting at a light and accelerating, and when maintaining speed.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Professional Bum

If you continue to drive your car with it mis-firing, it may cause damage to your CAT. You really need to apply some TLC to your car. Have you pulled the plugs?

A guy on another Honda board figured out it was the ECM after doing a lot of troubleshooting.

Other issues might be a bad valve, bad crank position sensor, bad ring. Bad fuel mixture (clogged fuel injectors). Have you tested the compression of the cylinders to rule out bad rings or valves?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 AM
Out of Control

I'm actually worried of driving either car at all this week until I get all this work done to them either of them. I just spent about $250 on my other car and don't have any extra to spend until the paycheck after this one. Thing is, I haven't done the work to the car yet since I'm still waiting on parts to come in and I won't be able to do any work on it until the weekend.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM
2nd Gear

Sounds like EGR ports are clogged.
The EGR valve can also get clogged with carbon deposits that can make it sticky so it cant close.
The tune up can help also.
Before you adjust the valves change the spark plugs first to see if you get any good results. And if not check the valve clearance and adjust.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Out of Control

I'm thinking it's one of the TLC things I listed out that need to be done. Though, I'm not 100% sure.

One tool I would like to get though would be a 3/4in thick 12in. long flexible wire brush. That will give me the confidence that the EGR port is clean both on the intake manifold side as well as the engine block side.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Out of Control

I ended up doing the spark plugs today. Spent $60 on NGK Iridiums over at AutoZone for all 6 on my car. Not a bad deal at all. MUCH cheaper than the $15 per plug the stealership wanted for the basic NGK plugs.

Anyways, after removing the plugs, I found that 4 of 6 plugs had issues ranging from minor to non-operable. The other 2 plugs looked perfect and could go for another 50k miles at least before needing to be replaced.

Of the 4 plugs that had issues, 2 of them seemed pretty simple in the fact that they were likely not properly tightend and came up slightly as indicated by the markings on the threads of the plug and a small ring around the area of where porcelain meets threads area. 1 plug had the same markings as the 2 other plugs previously mentioned, but more severely marked. Additionally, the coil pack for this same plug appears to have had some thick orange build up gone on as i had to sand down the buildup. It looked like rust to be honest. And then there's the last plug. The last plug had literally been blown up. The firing pin and the landing pad (not sure if that's the technical term for that area of the spark plug) were just gone. About 1/4 of the threads were completely destroyed as well. Not only this, but the coil pack for this spark plug was also frayed pretty badly. I ended up replacing this coil pack as well which I picked up for $50 from AutoZone.

Needless to say, my Accord runs MUCH better. Even better than before the misfire started on Friday last week. I'm still in need to replace all the other stuff though: IM gaskets, valve cover gaskets, IACV, EGR, and do an EGR port cleaning as well.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 AM
Professional Bum

So have you cleared the code? Has it come back?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Out of Control

Didn't clear the code. I just let it run and she's still running great . And here are the pics I said I'd put up.

The bad coil pack

The plugs as they were pulled

The front 3 plugs. Middle one showing the odd orange build-up

The one that blew

Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Professional Bum

I'd clear the code. It appears the mystery is solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.