Forward Collision Warning - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 06:37 PM
1st Gear

Forward Collision Warning

I have the camera-based type and can attest that it works (sometimes). I had it go off one time while set to "normal" and wanted to see what it would do when set to "long". So far it has not gone off when nearly running into the back of another vehicle at a rapid pace, but it occasionally goes off at some distance when slowly approaching the back of another vehicle with the brakes engaged. Therefore, I find it to be totally unpredictable.

Has anyone else had any experience with the performance of this system? A forum search produced nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 PM
5th Gear

Works very well for me. Set to long. Nothing is perfect but false positives are rare.

Previous:
2005 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe - Satin Silver Metallic / Black
1995 Accord EX-L Sedan - Granada Black Metallic / Gray
Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Out of Control

It's a marketing joke even set on long. I agree it rarely has false positives but the so called warning is so short and the alarm so soft (like the LDW) the technology makes for great commercials but is nearly useless. Sure, better than nothing but that is not saying much.

Cars: '80 Citroen CxD, '85 Peugeot 505TD, '80 300SD,'94 Alfa 164, '86 Alfa GTV6 street/race, '69 Eldorado, '04 RX8, '85 Merkur Xr4Ti, '02 Boxster, '79 Le Sabre, '05 300C, '13 Leaf
Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
It's a marketing joke even set on long. I agree it rarely has false positives but the so called warning is so short and the alarm so soft (like the LDW) the technology makes for great commercials but is nearly useless. Sure, better than nothing but that is not saying much.
You are absolutely right. While driving home from the dealership in my parents' new '13 EX-L V6, my dad, who likes to tailgate, said "I think I see something flashing," then he said "do you hear something? I thought I heard something, but I can't tell." Then I remembered the FCW...
Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear

I can hear it loud enough....
As for the LDW though ... not as loud
Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear

I have the radar based (Touring) FCW, and also received a 'false alarm' this morning when braking at a low speed behind a stopped vehicle. The only other time it's gone off was when I was cut off by a semi on the interstate. While the alert for both the FCW and LDW could be louder, it's not so loud as to where I have to explain what that sound was to my passengers (usually my kids). While looking through the settings, it appears that you can turn it up to eleven (no, really - not just a Spinal Tap joke). On a similar note, I do enjoy the verbal seat belt reminder as it provided that extra bit of 'encouragement' needed for one of my anti-seatbelt friends to put their damn seatbelt on...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00110001 View Post
I have the radar based (Touring) FCW, and also received a 'false alarm' this morning when braking at a low speed behind a stopped vehicle. The only other time it's gone off was when I was cut off by a semi on the interstate. While the alert for both the FCW and LDW could be louder, it's not so loud as to where I have to explain what that sound was to my passengers (usually my kids). While looking through the settings, it appears that you can turn it up to eleven (no, really - not just a Spinal Tap joke). On a similar note, I do enjoy the verbal seat belt reminder as it provided that extra bit of 'encouragement' needed for one of my anti-seatbelt friends to put their damn seatbelt on...

Seatbelts are a must and like you I WILL remind passengers if necessary.

The camera based FCW on lesser models has no such volume adjustment for either FCW or LDW. Even with the radio off, these are hardly warnings and with the radio on at modest volume absolutely useless. I don't mind false alarms, I will be happy with all real and false alarms if I can hear it. I spoke with HMC the first week I had the car and suggested a software update to make it louder. Time will tell

Cars: '80 Citroen CxD, '85 Peugeot 505TD, '80 300SD,'94 Alfa 164, '86 Alfa GTV6 street/race, '69 Eldorado, '04 RX8, '85 Merkur Xr4Ti, '02 Boxster, '79 Le Sabre, '05 300C, '13 Leaf
Old 03-29-2013, 06:15 AM
3rd Gear

so far it's been working flawlessly for me. Some civic cut me off yesterday and the FCW flashed. Another situation where it flashed was on the freeway when cars in front suddenly slammed on their brakes.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:19 AM
2nd Gear

Has this saved anyone from running into another car yet?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 AM
4th Gear

Quote:

I agree about the verbal warning for the belts--not mentioned in the Owner's Manual, which as I've opined before on this board, isn't up to the standards of past Honda O/Ms by a long shot! (Almost reminiscent of the voice-warning stuff in the mid-'80s Chryslers, except that she doesn't "thank you" when you buckle up again! )

As for the radar-based FCW, I've had a couple of spurious warnings from it while simply following another car closely at slow speed--no big deal!

The ACC works well, but has a couple of quirks that I've noticed, most notably the tendency to be a little inaccurate while making a right-lane change after pacing a car in the previous lane--it will slow down abruptly if you're not careful, so I just have to be ready to hit the accelerator to override things! I also notice that I tend to watch the REAR of the car to ensure that there aren't other cars following too close, as if my car slows, I may get rear-ended! (I may type out and put little signs on each side of the CHMSL stating that the car is ACC-equipped, and may brake without warning, just to be sure, despite the fact "shared fault" in accidents seems to be more common.) Still, despite this quirk, I would still choose this trim for the ACC, as when it's working well, it's cool! This is a "version 1.0" implementation, and who knows, if Honda tweaks the software to clean up some of the quirks, as long as the (expensive) hardware can still be used, those fixes are just a flash away!

(And the LED headlights are a definite bonus!! )
2000 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan -- Taffeta White/Ivory
1994 Honda Civic EX Sedan -- Torino Red Pearl/Gray
First Cars (all used--before I got religion):
1984 Pontiac Sunbird hatchback -- Lt. Briar Brown Metallic
1978 Olds Cutlass Salon -- Pastel Blue (the coupe, called the "aeroback," that looked like a hatch!)
Old 03-29-2013, 07:00 AM
2nd Gear

Dealer showed me the Canadian service bulletin for the stereo update.It also supposed to fix any issues with the camera detection.(lane departure & collision warning).My appointment is next week.
I am curious to see if the camera functionality would be improving.
The issue I have is the LNW & collision warning does not work at times and the warning tone is very low,not adjustable.
Anybody noticed improvement with the camera functions?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 AM
6 Cylinders 6 Gears

Quote:

Interesting, I haven't been able to find a way to increase the volume on mine.

As far as I'm concerned, the FCW is useless because I can't hear it when I have my music set to a normal listening level. I then have to rely on the flashing light in front of me. What the hell good is that if I happen to be looking to the side for a moment? A safety warning beeper should have an adjustable volume control.
Blue Footwell Illumination
Blue Door Sill Illumination
Splash Guards
Upgraded Horn

Previous Honda
2001 S2000
Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
What the hell good is that if I happen to be looking to the side for a moment? A safety warning beeper should have an adjustable volume control.
Forget audible warning beeper. Why not just have a seat vibrate and jiggle your butt to get your attention back to driving.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

Talking Yes it works!

It has worked for me! I was in some stop and go traffic when I took my eyes off the road for a second to look at this beautiful girl. The FCW went off because the guy in front of me slammed on his brakes for a pedestrian. If I did not look up I would have slammed into the back of him. So yeah it works! BTW, I have mine set to normal.

Regards
Max
Old 03-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Interesting, I haven't been able to find a way to increase the volume on mine.

As far as I'm concerned, the FCW is useless because I can't hear it when I have my music set to a normal listening level. I then have to rely on the flashing light in front of me. What the hell good is that if I happen to be looking to the side for a moment? A safety warning beeper should have an adjustable volume control.
Agree, useless because it is not loud enough even if it works flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentLD View Post
Forget audible warning beeper. Why not just have a seat vibrate and jiggle your butt to get your attention back to driving.
That would be a LDW on Cadillac (seat vib) or Audi (steering vib). remember Infinity invented the rear camera for cars in 1999 for the 2000 Q45 and LDW about 10 years ago with audible rumble strips that played through the stereo speakers regardless if it were on or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxamus1975 View Post
It has worked for me! I was in some stop and go traffic when I took my eyes off the road for a second to look at this beautiful girl. The FCW went off because the guy in front of me slammed on his brakes for a pedestrian. If I did not look up I would have slammed into the back of him. So yeah it works! BTW, I have mine set to normal.

Regards
Max
What model do you have. I have an Ex-L and "long" is way too short with the camera system. Radar normal might be great. Either has the alarm too soft to be of real value, anecdotal stories like yours notwithstanding. For the masses this FCW system is IMO ineffective for may situations although if it happens to save me I'll take it. It needs some serious revisions. Other than marketing, I see little reason for Honda to have brought this to market in it's current state.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.