Car is bucking - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2006, 01:27 PM
3rd Gear

Car is bucking

When I'm driving my car, it will suddenly start jerking pretty hard about every second then all of a sudden it stops. I then engine has little power when this happens, and it can happen in every gear.

This happened while on the interstate, and I had a chance to do some troubleshooting. I put the car in neutral and the jerking stopped. I hit the gas in neutral, and the engine sounded fine. When I put the car back into 5th gear, the jerking started again. I slowed down, and 4th gear had the same problem. When I hit the gas in gear, the car tried to accelerate, but the jerking was working against me. My engine had very little power. I ruled out bad gas, because I ran the car to close to empty and got gas from another station.

My idle was oscillating all of the time, so I thought that this might be causing the problem. My fast idle valve was the problem. It was open when the engine was hot, so essentally it created a vacuum leak. I replaced it, and now my idle is fine. I had to reset my ecu, becasue after installation, my idle was stuck at 3000 rpm.

I still have the bucking problem intermittently, but have observed some more information about it.

It usually happens from ~ 2000 through 3000 rpms. The engine loses most of its power while it bucks and have to push through 3000 rpm to get it to stop.

It happens bad when the coolant temperature is rising from cold to normal operating temperature.

I think that I can feel the problem all of the time from 2000-3000 rpm, but it is definitely worse when the engine is warming up. The bucking can still be bad when the car is warmed up though.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

1995 Honda Accord EX MT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2006, 01:33 PM
next stop: 300k!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
here's one.....

check your EGR ports.... they may have been gotten dirty from carbon deposits....

any codes (check engine light) posted????
I'm 5'6'brown eyes,38 old,no child,but like. Please press 1 for English. No child, but like. You are child-like? You like no child? You like children? Sorry, the subscription for my translator is expired.
PROUD FAN OF STEELERS, PIRATES, AND PENGUINS

DA moderator

2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (201k miles)

gone, but not forgotten:
1993 Honda Accord (341k when sold, retired @ 369k)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (168k when sold, last check-in @ ~197k, blown head gasket)
Old 11-29-2006, 01:38 PM
3rd Gear

No CEL light or codes stored.

I cleaned the egr ports last year, but it can't hurt to check them again.

BTW, I am a huge Steelers fan (Stillers in Western PA talk). Its been a rough year. I hope they can show signs of improvement.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
what part of town????

mckeesport native here....

go pens, the steelers are done for the year.....
I'm 5'6'brown eyes,38 old,no child,but like. Please press 1 for English. No child, but like. You are child-like? You like no child? You like children? Sorry, the subscription for my translator is expired.

DA moderator

gone, but not forgotten:
1999 Honda Accord coupe (168k when sold, last check-in @ ~197k, blown head gasket)
Old 11-29-2006, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear

I grew up in Hermitage, PA. Its next to Sharon, which more people have heard of. Its about 80 miles north of the burgh on rt 60.

I am a Penn State fan, since I went there as an undergrad. I cheer for Pitt unless they are playing my Nittany Lions.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:41 PM

another person that i know from the west side of town is a fellow shipmate of mine (US Navy).... he's from sharon, pa himself......

the most atrocious thing tho: he's a browns fan.....

DA moderator

gone, but not forgotten:
Old 11-29-2006, 02:52 PM
3rd Gear

Pitt is about an hour away, Clev is about 1.5. My dad (Steeler fan) is an identical twin and his brother is a Browns fan. Since both cities are close its about a 50:50 mix in that area.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:23 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
The problem sounds familar.... I'll ask the boss later & see if he has an idea on what to check.... I didn't find anything just using your description.

I kicked cancer's butt! You might be next!!!! :)

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

His: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, commute beater car. Named Mater.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:04 PM
6MT+Navi=Win!!

Send a message via ICQ to Amanda Moen Send a message via AIM to Amanda Moen Send a message via MSN to Amanda Moen Send a message via Yahoo to Amanda Moen
Would a '95 be OBD-I or OBD-II? I forgot when the change over occurred. If it's OBD-I you probably won't get a CEL.

I know that my Metro is OBD-I and we've only ever gotten a CEL once, for a faulty harness. I'm sure if the Metro was OBD-II I'd probably have a CEL on right now, just because the car is running rich. I'd also probably have gotten a CEL when the valve in the 3rd cylinder burned up, too. It seems like the only way you'll get a CEL for OBD-I is if it's something major that will make it so you're engine won't run at all. The engine would run with the valve on the 3rd cylinder burned up, we just had to keep the foot on the gas and drive it on 2 cylinders. My dad drove it to our mechanic's on 2 cylinders.

I know in my Chilton's manual for the Metro there are less than 2 dozen codes for the OBD-I, but around 4.5 pages of codes for OBD-II.

I'm sure Princess will figure it out. Good luck getting the issue resolved.
'06 Taffeta White Civic 4dr EX MT w/Navi
'97 Black Currant Pearl Odyssey EX
'86 Gold/Cream Goldwing Aspencade SE-i
Previous Hondas:
02 NBP Accord 4dr Special Edition w/gold pkg*90 HGM Accord 4dr EX MT*82 Cream Accord 4dr MT*1st Gen Accord MT*1st Gen Civic MT*2-3 bikes
Old 12-01-2006, 12:24 AM
ECU resets fix the idle..

OBD came out in 1997... This won't be either.

This sounds bizarre... Air in the coolant? That can contribute to a strange idle every now and then.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:23 AM
3rd Gear

All 96+ vehicles are OBDII. Some 95 accords had them, but I think it was on the V6 option.

I cracked the bleed line and let coolant bleed out for a while. I had no air in the system. Replacing the fast idle valve solved the idle problem.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:33 AM
6MT+Navi=Win!!

Send a message via ICQ to Amanda Moen Send a message via AIM to Amanda Moen Send a message via MSN to Amanda Moen Send a message via Yahoo to Amanda Moen
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennHonda
All 96+ vehicles are OBDII. Some 95 accords had them, but I think it was on the V6 option.

I cracked the bleed line and let coolant bleed out for a while. I had no air in the system. Replacing the fast idle valve solved the idle problem.
That's what I thought. Although I think the OBD-I and OBD-II change over was different for the imports compared to the domestics. Don't quote me on that, though.
'06 Taffeta White Civic 4dr EX MT w/Navi
'97 Black Currant Pearl Odyssey EX
'86 Gold/Cream Goldwing Aspencade SE-i
Previous Hondas:
02 NBP Accord 4dr Special Edition w/gold pkg*90 HGM Accord 4dr EX MT*82 Cream Accord 4dr MT*1st Gen Accord MT*1st Gen Civic MT*2-3 bikes
Old 12-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennHonda

That's not right...OBD-II officially was required in 97 but Honda did the switchover in 96 for the Accords. I'm not sure if 95's had it but I doubt it
Old 12-01-2006, 08:42 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
OBDII is for '95 V6's, but for '96 for all the rest.

The "bucking" sounds like a bad ignition coil. That's where we'd start looking.

I kicked cancer's butt! You might be next!!!! :)

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

His: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, commute beater car. Named Mater.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:40 AM
3rd Gear

After the problem started, I replaced the ignition coil with a working one from my old distributor along with the old ignitor. The original distributor had a crack in the housing, so I replaced w/ a used one. The "old" coil and ignitor were working fine before I replaced.

I still have the same problem.

Others have suggested the EGR, but I cleaned the ports less than a year ago. How fast do they clog up?

I didn't take the EGR valve for cleaning, and I will do that soon. The vacuum tests on the valve checked out, so I am not sure if it will solve the problem.

Can a sluggish O2 sensor cause a problem like this?

Thanks for all of your help. I certainly appreciate this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.