HELP!!!No first,third or fifth gear - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 6th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

HELP!!!No first,third or fifth gear

Hello,

I have a 98 accord coupe ex 4cyl 5speed manual transmission. The car has 177k and got a new cluth about 50k ago. The problem i'm having is that the car will not shift into first,third or fifth. It is as if the gears didn't exsist. Can't find them- no griding or anything. I can get into second, fourth and reverse with no problem.

I had a leak on the transmission that i let go for probably a little to long. A few months to be exact. During my last oil change, a couple weeks ago, i put my ratchet on those leaky tranny bolts and got them to snug down. It seemed that the leak had stopped.

Well last night is when my problems came forth. I made it home with the 3 gears i have and did an immediate tranny fluid change. Drove it around the block to see if maybe ( fingers crossed) and no dice.

With the hood popped open i can manually put the transmission into every gear. I left it in first, hopped in side, started it up- in first- and could not get the car out of gear.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 AM
6th Gear

From your description, it sounds like your shifter mechanism is broken or worn out. There are two cables that attach the shift lever to the transmission, so check for worn bushings, missing clips etc on each end of the cables. You will have to remove the boot covering the shifter inside the car to inspect that part of the mechanism.
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 05-14-2013, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

Thank you, When you say bushings where are you referring to? The bushing under the boot- are those the four bolts that hold the shifter down? Do you know what indications I can look for in determining what qualifies a bushing to be considered worn? Thanks a million
Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 PM
6th Gear

Here is a drawing of an Accord shifter from the Majestic Honda website which shows all the bushings and other parts. The bushings are on the ends of the cables but check for anything loose, worn or broken.
Attached Images

1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 05-18-2013, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the shifter diagram, been super busy at work and haven't had a chance to address anything till this weekend.
The cable end that uses bushings 10 & 11 have some play but i dont know how much play is to much. I will start there and keep you posted. Thanks again
Old 05-23-2013, 07:11 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie&bryan83 View Post
Thank you, When you say bushings where are you referring to? The bushing under the boot- are those the four bolts that hold the shifter down? Do you know what indications I can look for in determining what qualifies a bushing to be considered worn? Thanks a million
play is hard to gauge if you don't know what is considered normal. and in the shift cable world you normally wouldn't feel much play at all. your best bet is to have someone shift into 1st, 3rd and 5th while you watch the linkage move on the transmission if you're unsure.

if the cable isn't transmitting all the movement from the cable into the lever(if it doesn't snap into gear the same way you can manually snap it into gear by hand) check for severely worn bushing giving way at the trans. if you find it great, replace both cables. (the bushings are part of the cable. 10 and 11 are just a washer and a plastic cap to allow fluid movement)

if you don't find the problem there pull the center console apart and again, shift into 1st, 3rd and 5th looking for excessive movement in a bushing or a messed up shifter. if the bushing is transmitting all the movement from the lever the cable is ok. focus on the shifter mechanism.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:38 PM
1st Gear

ok thanks, I think im going to replace the shifter cable. When i shift to second fourth & reverse the cable pulls the gears into place. When i try to shift in those top gears- first, third and fifth the cable need to push the gears into place. The boot towards the end of the cable that puts the car in gear has something knocking/pushing against the inside of the boot wall. I am a little weary about using after-market cables so i need to save up before i can get one from the dealership. Thanks for the help

I'll keep you posted!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:49 PM
6th Gear

try majestic Honda, super good prices
Old 05-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Out of Control

Try Rock Auto. It's an online store that will save you lots of money. They usually have a wide selection of parts and manufacturers to choose from as well. From cheap aftermarket stuff, to manufacturer OEMs.
2000 2dr. v6 Accord | Limo Tint | Black housing Crystal Headlights | Greddy MX Exhaust | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | R1 Concept slotted/ventilated rotors - Front | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | DC Strut Bar | 6000k HIDs | Pioneer DEH-P6000UB | Pioneer mid speakers | Matt Tweeters | Kenwood 4ch. 800w Amp | 2x 10" Sony Xplod 800w subs | Sony 1200w Class D Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.