No Display Radio Fix - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > DIY

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 227 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

Send a message via AIM to 04AccordEX Send a message via MSN to 04AccordEX
No Display Radio Fix

Disclaimer: I was helped by a Radio Repair Tech. Please if anyone follows this tutorial; Follow it at your own risk. I will not be responsible for any damage that might happen during this tutorial.

SORRY FOR THE PICTURE QUALITY. I WAS USING MY CELL PHONE FOR THE PICTURES. NOT BAD FOR A SONY ERCCSON W810I.

This Tutorial is Based on a 04 Accord EX 6-CD Stock Radio.

Well, I had the same problem as most in this forum regarding the 03-04 Accord EX radio display to go blank. I called American Honda, and they gave me this long story of how it’s a issue with this kind of sterios. They WILL NOT REPLACE MY RADIO because my car is way out of warranty. They wanted $1,200.00 to replace the radio or $700.00 to just replace the rear part. So, I called up a friend of mine to see if he can help me. We found out that there is a small resistor on the radio that burns out, that the one that sends power to the front panel. Here is my experience with fixing the problem.

Problem:

I did not make a tutorial on how the Stock radio is removed because there are quite some few out there. Plus, it’s easy just to search for it.

Once you have your stock radio off, remove the (4) screws that hold the radio. There are (2) on each side.

Remove the (2) screws on the back of the radio.

Remove the (8) screws that holds the heat sink together.

Flip the radio to its front side, and remove the (2) screws.

Pry open the bottom cover carefully. Its not hard to remove and use a flat head screwdriver.

Now that you have the heat sink and the bottom plate off, BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THE NEXT STEP.

Remove the ribbon cable from the board. BE CAREFULL WHEN YOU REMOVE IT. Don’t pull hard or you can damage the cable.

Now look at the radio where the heat sink normally is. You will see set of (3) resisters next to each other. Pay close attention to the middle resister with the number R797. That’s the one you need to fix.

DO THIS AT YOURE OWN RISK.

I just got small wire cutters and broke the resister off. You don’t need to replace it, but you will like to, you need to buy that resister. Don’t know how much it is or where to buy it. If I can recall, they told me it was a 2.4A resister. All I did was to place a small piece of wire and solder the joints. AKA Jump the connections.

Here is a picture of how it looks after I jump the connection.

Now put everything back together, and install the stock radio to your car.

Enjoy your now working stock radio…. This easy tutorial will save you $$$$.

YEAH!!! My First Tutorial....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 04AccordEX For This Useful Post:
Briangarydoyle (01-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Blast from the past!

Send a message via MSN to EXLNavi
SEE! I told you guys it was an easy fix, but no one believed me!!

2.4 ohms sounds like it.

I would recommend replacing the resistor. It's there to limit current and too much current is possibly why it burned out.

A resistor is 50 cents or less. A display module is a lot more.

Radio shack should have resistors. If not, order one from mouser or digi-key.

Don't take a chance bridging the resistor. It's there for a reason!

If your mother still drives you to school,.... you ain't no gangster. PULL YOUR PANTS UP!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

Thanks, We jumped it because he fixed one sterio like this about a year ago, and the lady still has a working sterio. But, as soon as i get a chace i will install this resistor to be safe. The wire we put is small so if too much current runs thought it, it will break the wire. Just like a fuse.

Hope this tutorial will help some fix there sterio.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Carpe Diem, Carpe Viam...

Wow great post and my first sticky. Figured it deserved it considering all the problems with the earlier 7th gen HUs and the fact that there are people like the OP who are out of warranty and Honda will not help.

Just to add my advice though...like EXLNavi mentioned buy the replacement resistor and put it in place, don't bridge the connections with a wire. Same reason why you shouldn't put a dime or something in a fuse box instead of a fuse. Sure it might work for now, but you're risking other problems down the road for a part that literally only costs cents to replace.
TIRES: 215/50R17 Fuzion ZRIs, 205/60R16 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s (on steelies)
Previous Car: 1995 White Pontiac Sunfire 5MT Coupe 410,000KM - R.I.P
Old 01-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
Excellent job!!!!

You would think Honda would instruct the dealers how to do this fix so they can repair the stereos for even $100 parts/labor - IMO still too expensive but better than a $1,200 swap.

Come & Gone: 84 Accord HB, 91 CRX Si, 89 Accord LXi, 90 Accord LX Cpe, 94 Accord EX, 95 Accord EX Cpe, 98 Accord EX, 99 A4, 03 Accord EX-L, 91 Civic RT4WD Wagon, 06 Accord EX-L NAVI

From The Dark Period: 01.5 Passat, 08 Accord 6-6
Old 01-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Blast from the past!

Send a message via MSN to EXLNavi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Excellent job!!!!

You would think Honda would instruct the dealers how to do this fix so they can repair the stereos for even $100 parts/labor - IMO still too expensive but better than a $1,200 swap.

I don't think dealerships have electronic technicians, only automotive techs. They can't fix it.

If your mother still drives you to school,.... you ain't no gangster. PULL YOUR PANTS UP!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:37 PM
next stop: 300k!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
i am not a electronic guru like some members are on here, but here's a question....

could you use a larger resistor for replacement, to prevent future problems?
I'm 5'6'brown eyes,38 old,no child,but like. Please press 1 for English. No child, but like. You are child-like? You like no child? You like children? Sorry, the subscription for my translator is expired.
PROUD FAN OF STEELERS, PIRATES, AND PENGUINS

DA moderator

2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (201k miles)

gone, but not forgotten:
1993 Honda Accord (341k when sold, retired @ 369k)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (168k when sold, last check-in @ ~197k, blown head gasket)
Old 01-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Carpe Diem, Carpe Viam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiller fan
i am not a electronic guru like some members are on here, but here's a question....

I'm not one either but I'd figure if you used a larger resistor you would end up sucking too much power from the display/controls. With electronics you want a certain voltage and certain amperage, so you'd want to replace it with the same as it had before. In other words, unless you were sure of what you were putting in, staying with spec is the way to go.

Now this does bring up an interesting concept...what does the newer HUs that do not suffer this problem use? Technically if you used whatever resistor they use you might negate ever having it blow again...
TIRES: 215/50R17 Fuzion ZRIs, 205/60R16 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s (on steelies)
Previous Car: 1995 White Pontiac Sunfire 5MT Coupe 410,000KM - R.I.P
Old 01-11-2007, 01:50 PM
OCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiller fan

The resistor is there as a sacrifice if higher current runs through than it should saving the display itself. A bigger resistor might let too much current flow before burning itself (I'm assuming by bigger you mean a higher current setting). With that said there could be two problems, something higher up causing current problems and the resistor did it's job, or scenario number two that the resistor is poor quality and it's burning out at a lower current than specified. Your guess is as good as mine on this one Only putting in a good quality resistor and seeing down the line if it happens again.

This might be why Honda is replacing the HU instead, the problem is higher up, or as mentioned no electronic techs at the dealership. On the other hand why all the refurbished replacements? Hmmmm...

EDIT: Nice write up and great sticky.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:54 PM
<error: divide by zero>

SWEET- Good work!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:55 PM
OCD

Here's a link for those curious about resistors...

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/resistor.htm#what
Old 01-11-2007, 02:01 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Many auto techs COULD do it, but they aren't allowed to. If they booger it up, then the tech pays for it, not the dealer.

Apparently Honda is not happy with the manufacturer either:

ID: AIN34351 (Rev GIN34313)

This message is revised to exclude incorrect dealers and to clarify information regarding returning parts.

To: All Parts and Service Managers

Re: Discontinued Remanufactured Parts: Audio Units

Do Not Return to AHM

As of January 1, 2007, the following parts will no longer be offered as Remanufactured Parts.

Discontinued

P/N
Description

08A50-ED1101RM
CD Player

08A51-ED1100RM
CD Player

8-97222-867-0RM
Audio Tuner

8-97230-011-1RM
Audio RMD

8-97251-336-0RM
Audio Tuner

8-97256-492-0RM
Audio Tuner

Dealers who purchased any of the above parts between October 31, 2006 and December 31, 2006 should return the faulty parts to NK Parts in Sidney, OH.

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

Ours: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, everything still works! Named Mater.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:27 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to MJL
I figured he was trying to say, bigger resistor = more resistance to current, not bigger resistor allowing more current flow. Sounds like he was taking the name for resistor literally. I could be wrong...

Definitely a good sticky tho!! The first I've seen of a DIY for the radio display problem. I think it would be more helpful tho if we had the correct resistor for the application, like what color bands we would need on the resistor and solder direction if applicable.

Old- 2005 Accord EX-L 4cyl 5-Spd - MP3 player adapter - 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar - V6 6spd Tower Strut Bar - Infinity Kappa 6x9s - Polk DB6500 front components door and tweets - Infinity BassLink II w/4sc - Neuspeed Short Shifter - Blue Gauges and Ambient Light
Old 01-11-2007, 07:04 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Resistor Color Codes are all over the net... For an example, look at Peniole's post or look here...
http://xtronics.com/kits/rcode.htm

I would try to get at least a gold banded resistor (+/- 5% tolerance) or better for the replacement. Un-banded resistors can vary too much in quality and resistance.

Resistors are bidirectional and can be mounted in either direction.
<a href=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/SSMV6/accord target=_blank><a href=http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png target=_blank>http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png</a></a> . . . . Last tank mpg = 32.2mpg

2005 Accord EX-V6 Sedan (3/05-1/13) retired at 127,110 miles
1993 Accord 10th Anniversary Edition Sedan (5/08-7/10) Retired at 153,007 miles
2000 Civic Si (5/00-3/3/05) Retired at 59,500 miles
Old 01-11-2007, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

Wow! I didn't think my post would become a Sticky Thanks.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.