STP Fuel Injector cleaner - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Maintenance & Detailing

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

STP Fuel Injector cleaner

Is it useful or just hype? I have used it for years in Prelude and Integra. It did not hurt anything and made me "feel" good. With my new Accord and all the electronics and sensors, I am not so sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2007, 07:47 PM
5th Gear

Im just trying one for the first time ever, saw it and figured I would give it a try, only about a gallon or two into the tank, ill report back when its done.

-Blue Man Group Car Club-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 08:02 PM
next stop: 300k!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acc6MT
Is it useful or just hype? I have used it for years in Prelude and Integra. It did not hurt anything and made me "feel" good. With my new Accord and all the electronics and sensors, I am not so sure.
any reason why you are doing this???

reason i ask is, considering that your car is so new, i really wouldn't think that it was necessary.....
I'm 5'6'brown eyes,38 old,no child,but like. Please press 1 for English. No child, but like. You are child-like? You like no child? You like children? Sorry, the subscription for my translator is expired.
PROUD FAN OF STEELERS, PIRATES, AND PENGUINS

DA moderator

2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (201k miles)

gone, but not forgotten:
1993 Honda Accord (341k when sold, retired @ 369k)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (168k when sold, last check-in @ ~197k, blown head gasket)
Old 02-01-2007, 03:49 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiller fan
any reason why you are doing this???

reason i ask is, considering that your car is so new, i really wouldn't think that it was necessary.....
I agree with Stiller here - how many miles could you possibly have on an '06? I first used a fuel system cleaner at 30k, then every 10k thereafter. I prefer Techron or Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner to the STP product. Go over here http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php and do a search on these products in the Fuel, Additives and Cleaners section. Redline SI-1 is another highly regarded cleaner.
I currently have 6 bottles of the Regane product - all of them were free after rebate! AutoZone is currently running a promotion where you'll actually make $1/bottle (after rebate, limit 2) on the Regane cleaner. If you are interested in this, be sure to get the one with the translucent bottle and the yellow label - that's Gumout's best product. The full name is above.
HTH
Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 AM
Blast from the past!

Send a message via MSN to EXLNavi
I bought a four pack of techron at Costco. Hey it was cheap enough so I use it every other tank...

If your mother still drives you to school,.... you ain't no gangster. PULL YOUR PANTS UP!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:01 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXLNavi
I bought a four pack of techron at Costco. Hey it was cheap enough so I use it every other tank...
Did you get regular Techron or the ProGuard stuff (which isn't as good IMO) at Costco? How much was it?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Blast from the past!

Send a message via MSN to EXLNavi
I think it was the ProGuard stuff. Not sure how much I paid.

If your mother still drives you to school,.... you ain't no gangster. PULL YOUR PANTS UP!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:10 AM
James.uk

Personaly I have always had very good results on highish mileage cars using "Fortes" and can happily recomand it to anyone who needs it.. It is also very good at freeing up sticky valves..

But... As Stiller stated, an 006 should NOT be having problems..
Old 02-02-2007, 06:29 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

The octane boosters should make your car feel better while that stuff is in the tank, but other than that, you won't feel any difference.
<a href=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/SSMV6/accord target=_blank><a href=http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png target=_blank>http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png</a></a> . . . . Last tank mpg = 32.2mpg

2005 Accord EX-V6 Sedan (3/05-1/13) retired at 127,110 miles
1993 Accord 10th Anniversary Edition Sedan (5/08-7/10) Retired at 153,007 miles
2000 Civic Si (5/00-3/3/05) Retired at 59,500 miles
Old 02-23-2007, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

I use AMSOIL PI, you do an intial cleanup with about 10 oz to 17 gallons, then the 6oz quickshot every fill-up or whenever you want, great stuff.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:08 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acc6MT
If you're interested in learning about fuel system cleaners and such, I would recommend you head over to this forum http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...t=0&Board=UBB5 at BobIsTheOilGuy.com.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:15 AM
Ride to Live/Live to Ride

I have been using STP gas treatment (red container) for years, mainly for water removal. I use it in the car and truck. From their web site:
STP Gas Treatment Used Regularly Helps:

Boost cleaning performance of gas
Save gas by keeping fuel intake system clean
Fight fuel line freeze by removing water
We learned from many years of snowmobiling in Canada that methanol or "dry gas" is a really bad idea. Even isopropanol absorbs moisture from the air and can cause problems - still better than methanol. So I tried STP gas treatment and never had a problem. If it cleans anything - bonus . I try to use Top Tier gas for the same reason - does it really work
Old 02-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXLNavi

That's what I use. It is supposed to be the most effective stuff on the Market. Costco sells it for around 10 bucks for pack of four.

2011 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Diesel.
2012 VW Golf TDI 4dr Tech Package 6MT

Forum Rules and Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Here's a hint - if you don't want to be judged by what you write on an internet forum then don't write on an internet forum.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:27 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencrosbie
That's what I use. It is supposed to be the most effective stuff on the Market. Costco sells it for around 10 bucks for pack of four.
I'm guessing the stuff you're getting at Costo is the ProGuard product. It's not the same as the Techron concentrate, and not as good. The "real" Techron is about $6/bottle. You'll sometimes find it BOGO at national retailers like Pep Boys or AutoZone.
Whether it's the most effective stuff on the market is obviously debatable, though I do feel it's certainly in the top 3 (along with Regane and Redline SI-1). Everyone's entitled to their opinions though.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:42 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencrosbie
Some of Techron's (no not ProGuard) reputation goes way back when gas changed over from leaded to unleaded. The additive package changed a lot at the same time. Unfortunately, not all gas producers got it right. A number of cars started to get massive deposits from the additives. Some cars got large enough deposits on their valves to put them out of balance and make them run very rough. It included prestigious (or at least expensive) manufacturers like Mercedes and BMW. When they figured it out (I don't recall if it was MB, BMW, or both) they started clearly recommending 3-5 particular brands of gasoline whose additives did not cause the problem. Chevron was one of them and probably the only one who marketed basically their additives as a separate product: Techron.

I still believe it's one of the better products, but it's been a long time and I don't doubt some of their competitors may have caught up with them.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.