Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Product Review/Install Guide: TRS Morimoto LED Fog Lights for 9th Gen Coupes!

24K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Camel_89Si 
#1 ·
Review time!

These are Morimoto XB LED Fog "Type-S" lights from Theretrofitsource.com (MSRP $175). Coupon code "ToyotaNation" brings them to $150.

After a thread last week in which a member wanted to retrofit HID projectors into his coupe fogs, my suggestion was to go with TRS XB "Type-S" Fogs. In all fairness I hadn't personally used them myself, so I figured "what the hell" and decided to be the forum guinea pig. :thmsup:

Now I'm an old-practical guy. For the most part fogs are more of an aesthetic item and often so underpowered that they're of little benefit. So why did I drop money on these? Well these aren't your typical fog lights. I read tons of great reviews on other boards like the Focus ST one which included output shots that were incredibly impressive. These aren't underpowered, at all! In fact, they're 2400 Lumens combined! Meaning, they're pretty much auxiliary driving lights. In addition, they're 5000k which comes very close to matching the look of my 4300K 4G TL HID retrofit in my car. Did I mention they also have a sharp cutoff? That's something you don't get at all with LED, HID, or halogen bulbs in the stock housing.

The XB Fogs come in two models, a "Type-S" and "Type-T". The S & T designation are for Subaru and Toyota, however, each are cross-compatible with many other vehicles. In our case the "S" not only fits many Subarus but also the 9th Gen Accord Coupe, as well as many other Hondas. I actually have a 2015 Subaru WRX on order and these same lights will not only fit my 9th Gen Accord Coupe but also the incoming WRX!

Initial Impressions:
Very nice! TRS is known for quality components, and their house brand "Morimoto" is known to be an excellent value. The XB LED Fogs use "3W Philips Luxeon-T 5000K LED's to produce around 1200 lumens per side for a total of 2400 on the ground." 2400 lumes is a ton of light!

Install:
It really can't get much easier. Pretty sure from walking into my garage to being done took all of 15 minutes, and that was with taking pictures and my time. These are adjustable for aiming as well, though I'll have to wait until dark for that. On my garage wall they seem to be pretty close to spot on without adjustment.

I have pics of the install but honestly it's so simple it likely doesn't warrant them.

Tools Required:
Phillips screwdriver. Yup, that's it. :thmsup:

Procedure:
1. In the top inside corner of each fog housing is one screw, this is all that is needed to remove the fog housing.
2. Once removed simply unscrew 2 more philips screws and unclip the wiring harness.
3. Now you will notice there is a tiny bit of trimming to do on one post of the fog housing, for the TRS Fog light, to sit flush. I did this with just a regular razor blade, it was super easy.
4. Now you'll notice the power wires are not inserted into the connector just yet, this is because the fog lights are polarity specific meaning the wires need to be in the right spot, simply insert them into the car power plug and check to see if they come on. If they don't swap positions and check again.
5. Once you have the polarity right slip the wires into the provided TRS plug, they'll lock into place.
6. Installation is reverse of removal.

It honestly does not get much simpler than that! :thumbsup:

Conclusion: To me they seem worth the price and are simply the best option for a fog light upgrade. Retrofits are often too; messy, expensive, irreversible, time consuming, etc. This is hands down the way to go! :thmsup:

And of course here are the pics, night time or driving ones will come later:

The Fogs

Installed:

Now look closely and you'll see the separation line between the HIDs and the fogs, they fill in greatly and really make a significant difference with a perfect cutoff just like the HIDs! The light will be lower and wider, illuminating the sides of the road and foreground far more than the low beams can.

See less See more
#2 ·
���������������� so it's basically plug n play?? Will you take pics of the mounting part

Thanks to you, I may have to spend more money on mods!

#3 ·
���������������� so it's basically plug n play?? Will you take pics of the mounting part

Thanks to you, I may have to spend more money on mods!
Yes, essentially plug and play! 15 minutes start to finish.

They mount just like the stock ones on the 4 posts using 2 screws.

And this is where I trimmed the one post (Super easy):

#4 ·
Awesome! Now the fog lights can become useful. Do you have TRS 35w 5k HIDs in your low beam too? Do the color of light match?

#5 ·
Low beams are 4th Gen TL Projectors, Osram Xenarc D2S 4300k bulbs, and Morimoto 35W ballasts. I bought everything for my HID low beam from TheRetrofitSource as well! They have 4G TL package deals for the 9th Gen Sedans and Coupes.

They're not a 100% match as the LEDs are 5000k, but CBI bulbs or some of the Phillips D2S bulbs that have more of a 5000k color, or generic 5000k HID bulbs should be spot on. Still it's not that much of a difference from my 4300k in person.

You can also order these with Yellow LaminX film from TRS, if you want the yellow look.

#11 ·
Adding more content to this. I bought this when TRS gave out Labor Day sale coupon. The COLOR of the light matches PERFECTLY with the OEM DRL LEDs and TRS 5k 25w HIDs! I bought some $3 bulbs from eBay and they were blue compared to the HIDs and DRL LEDs. I am picky when It comes to automotive lighting color matching because I don't like a bunch of different shades of white(or looks blue).

This is basically Plug N' Play. The level of difficulty from 1(easy) - 10(hard) is a 1(one). The only thing you need to do is trim a small bit of the plastic mounting tab.
I used my iPhone 5 for pics, Obviously pics will not show the true amount output but you can tell there's a difference. May update in future with pics from a DSLR camera.

This is what you need to trim (on each side).

Here are BEFORE and AFTER pics:

This shows how much BRIGHTER it is

This shows how SHARPER it is

Here's OFF

Here's ON

#12 ·
Daamn! Makes me wish I had a coupe!

#13 ·
After looking at these photos again, the amount of light and brightness is only from 3 little LEDs. Yes, 3 LEDs on each side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·

#17 ·
For anyone interested I struck a deal yesterday and I'm trading my Coupe for a Sport sedan next weekend(dealer is finding me a leftover ***). If anyone is interested in these for a discount let me know as they won't work on the sedan.

Also if anyone is LOCAL (i.e. Not Shipping them) to Boston,MA and wants to a sweet deal on swapping some retrofit 4G TL Coupe headlights send me a PM before the car is traded in!

#18 ·
how much shipped?

#20 ·
Man how did I miss this deal in the Boston Area.

Anyways these look great, Im currently running the IJDMTOY reflective bulb which matches my XD HID 6500k well but as you can imagine the light is not very usable (I'd would say better than others since it reflects the light back into the housing and then out) but I will def. have to switch into these ones I get a chance.

#24 ·
My fog lights were delivered today and I snuck out of work to put them in. So everything was going easy breezy until I went to mount them in, they line up with the screw holes but they're upside down! I tried to flip them and they don't line up, one screw is about 1/2" off. I also tried to swap L & R and it's the same issue. Has anyone else run into this? I'm wondering if I received the wrong ones? It's odd. I had to go back to work so I left them in upside down for now lol but I just have them turned off... of course TRS is closed today :/

#26 ·
Yep, that's exactly what I did. I had to finangle them a bit to get them to screw in right side up, but they also had that gap. So then I shaved off a bit of one of the tabs that was causing it to stick out, and boom problem solved!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.