Subwoofer Replaced! - Drive Accord Honda Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 70 Old 10-10-2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Subwoofer Replaced!

I know a lot of you guys are looking to replace at least the sub in your new 2013 Accord so I thought I would give you a bit of my own experience. Part of the reason that I wanted to take out the factory sub was that it would rattle the rear deck with distortion particularly when playing some of the more challenging bass heavy music I would listen to via the Ipod touch. I went to my local audio installer who also did some installation for my 2003 Accord and came out with an Alpine SWR-823D 8" Type-R Dual 2-Ohm subwoofer powered by a Alpine MRP-M500 500 Watt RMS power amplifier. The sub was installed free-air which means that I took out the original factory sub and dropped this baby in it's place. The hole had to be made a bit bigger to accommodate the thicker base of the sub, but other than that and putting in some B-Quiet sound dampening material under the rear deck to reduce any rattles or unpleasant vibrations, the install wasn't too difficult for them. I am still in the process of breaking in he sub, but so far it definitely a big upgrade from the factory sub with clean, punchy, rattle-free bass. Also, since the factory amp doesn't have to give any power to the sub, the speakers also sound a little more lively, I just have to be careful not to blow them since they are probably not the most durable. As I stated in a previous thread, I haven't noticed any reduction in the noise cancellation system after the install. If anyone has plans to replace the speakers and has figured out how to adjust the factory crossover settings internally or aftermarket, let us know how it goes. Hopefully this helps some of our Accord audiophiles out there.

MGP999 is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 70 Old 10-11-2012, 03:58 AM
6th Gear
 
mdreibelbis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,370
Thanks: 52
Thanked 127 Times in 105 Posts
Curious- what's a ballpark figure for what that set you back?


----------------------------------
2015 Acura TLX Tech
2016 Honda CRV EX-L
mdreibelbis is offline  
post #3 of 70 Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 AM
5x with no end in sight
 
talon95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lannon, WI
Posts: 236
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also curious... does such a change have any impact on the warranty coverage aside from the new parts themselves (which would presumably have their own separate warranty)?

If the answer to that is "no" and the mod isn't prohibitively expensive, I may be interested.

Thanks!

(I did part of the homework and found the components for around $360 at Crutchfield...)

Current: 2018 Accord 1.5T EX-L/ Radiant Red/ Ivory Leather
Previous: '14 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan, '13 Accord EX-L I4 Sedan, '08 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan, '03 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan, '00 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
talon95 is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 70 Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 AM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 252
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
Also curious... does such a change have any impact on the warranty coverage aside from the new parts themselves (which would presumably have their own separate warranty)?

If the answer to that is "no" and the mod isn't prohibitively expensive, I may be interested.

Thanks!
Of course it affects warranty - if the CVT blows because of the replacement sub woofer, you aren't covered.

But more seriously; any modification that is determined to result in a failure of a warranted part will void the car's warranty for those affected parts. So, if the removal of the sub somehow sends more power to the speakers and they blow, no warranty. If the head unit's amplifier blows, it will be the same story.

Of course, it depends on the dealer. They may not know about the new sub and just assume the radio or the other speakers were defective.
grover432 is offline  
post #5 of 70 Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 AM
5x with no end in sight
 
talon95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lannon, WI
Posts: 236
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
Of course it affects warranty - if the CVT blows because of the replacement sub woofer, you aren't covered.

But more seriously; any modification that is determined to result in a failure of a warranted part will void the car's warranty for those affected parts. So, if the removal of the sub somehow sends more power to the speakers and they blow, no warranty. If the head unit's amplifier blows, it will be the same story.

Of course, it depends on the dealer. They may not know about the new sub and just assume the radio or the other speakers were defective.
It may sound like an obvious question, but this is the first new car that I've purchased after years of leasing, so this is the first time in a long time that I've been in a position to consider some modifications. Since MGP999 has done this before and has an audio tech who has been in the business for a while, I was wondering if he had an opinion based on his experience or that of his tech. Generalizations are OK, but real experience is better. If not, no problem... you can only find out if you ask.

Current: 2018 Accord 1.5T EX-L/ Radiant Red/ Ivory Leather
Previous: '14 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan, '13 Accord EX-L I4 Sedan, '08 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan, '03 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan, '00 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
talon95 is offline  
post #6 of 70 Old 10-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Out of Control
 
II Kings 9:20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,383
Thanks: 185
Thanked 370 Times in 288 Posts
Sounds great, pun intended. My last custom was in the early 90s on a 300E. Ported sub, A pillar tweeters, amp, crossover, 12 disc CD, etc. It was a killer system but since then I have stuck with factory units whether good or bad just because it is an easy default. Nice to see some still customizing stereos.
II Kings 9:20 is offline  
post #7 of 70 Old 10-11-2012, 05:39 PM
5th Gear
 
G2Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 615
Thanks: 23
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGP999 View Post
I know a lot of you guys are looking to replace at least the sub in your new 2013 Accord so I thought I would give you a bit of my own experience. Part of the reason that I wanted to take out the factory sub was that it would rattle the rear deck with distortion particularly when playing some of the more challenging bass heavy music I would listen to via the Ipod touch. I went to my local audio installer who also did some installation for my 2003 Accord and came out with an Alpine SWR-823D 8" Type-R Dual 2-Ohm subwoofer powered by a Alpine MRP-M500 500 Watt RMS power amplifier. The sub was installed free-air which means that I took out the original factory sub and dropped this baby in it's place. The hole had to be made a bit bigger to accommodate the thicker base of the sub, but other than that and putting in some B-Quiet sound dampening material under the rear deck to reduce any rattles or unpleasant vibrations, the install wasn't too difficult for them. I am still in the process of breaking in he sub, but so far it definitely a big upgrade from the factory sub with clean, punchy, rattle-free bass. Also, since the factory amp doesn't have to give any power to the sub, the speakers also sound a little more lively, I just have to be careful not to blow them since they are probably not the most durable. As I stated in a previous thread, I haven't noticed any reduction in the noise cancellation system after the install. If anyone has plans to replace the speakers and has figured out how to adjust the factory crossover settings internally or aftermarket, let us know how it goes. Hopefully this helps some of our Accord audiophiles out there.
Got any pics of the Alpine sub installed? Did you use a LOC? Interested in doing this setup next spring.


Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
G2Nice is offline  
post #8 of 70 Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not too sure about the warranty, but I will ask my tech tomorrow if he has an answer for you. They did not use a LOC, they just fed the factory sub line to the amp which still allows sub control through the factory system.The total cost was about $550 for everything, however I did supply my own sound dampening material which shouldn't be more than $10 extra if you use my brand. Every day as the sub breaks in, it sounds better and better but don't be fooled, if you are looking for a house rattling resonating BOOM you will need an enclosure either ported or sealed. I had that setup in my previous Accord using Rockford Fosgate 12inch sealed and it was more of a pain because I always had to adjust it so that it would settle down a bit. This free air sub is much more user friendly and gives me the ideal bass that is quick, punchy, and fairly accurate with very little obtrusive bass echo. I will take pics and give you all a look at my setup which is pretty straight forward.
MGP999 is offline  
post #9 of 70 Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 AM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 252
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
It may sound like an obvious question, but this is the first new car that I've purchased after years of leasing, so this is the first time in a long time that I've been in a position to consider some modifications. Since MGP999 has done this before and has an audio tech who has been in the business for a while, I was wondering if he had an opinion based on his experience or that of his tech. Generalizations are OK, but real experience is better. If not, no problem... you can only find out if you ask.
I have real experience with this (and cars). All of the manufacturers are the same when it comes to modifications and warranty. In fact any manufacturer of a consumer product would likely take the same position. Why should they warrant damage to a component that was damaged by a modification that affected their component in a way not contemplated or intended?

In this type of question, the worst place to get advice is a user forum. Your contract for warranty is with Honda and the terms of your contract are in your booklet from Honda. That tells you what will happen in the case a modification damages another part of your car.
grover432 is offline  
post #10 of 70 Old 10-12-2012, 05:46 AM
5x with no end in sight
 
talon95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lannon, WI
Posts: 236
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGP999 View Post
Not too sure about the warranty, but I will ask my tech tomorrow if he has an answer for you. They did not use a LOC, they just fed the factory sub line to the amp which still allows sub control through the factory system.The total cost was about $550 for everything, however I did supply my own sound dampening material which shouldn't be more than $10 extra if you use my brand. Every day as the sub breaks in, it sounds better and better but don't be fooled, if you are looking for a house rattling resonating BOOM you will need an enclosure either ported or sealed. I had that setup in my previous Accord using Rockford Fosgate 12inch sealed and it was more of a pain because I always had to adjust it so that it would settle down a bit. This free air sub is much more user friendly and gives me the ideal bass that is quick, punchy, and fairly accurate with very little obtrusive bass echo. I will take pics and give you all a look at my setup which is pretty straight forward.
Thank you so much for this information. It's exactly what I was asking for. It'll really help me make the decision regarding going ahead with such a modification. And if your tech has any real life anecdotal information about mods and warranty (generalized, of course... I'm not looking for specific details), that would be great! More for my curiosity than anything else, since I realize that every incident can play out differently.

Current: 2018 Accord 1.5T EX-L/ Radiant Red/ Ivory Leather
Previous: '14 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan, '13 Accord EX-L I4 Sedan, '08 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan, '03 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan, '00 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
talon95 is offline  
post #11 of 70 Old 10-13-2012, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Here are the pics of the rear deck from inside the car (which pretty much show no bulge from the sub grill) and the set-up from within the trunk. I talked to my tech about warranty and he agreed that there should be no impact on the car warranty. For my previous Accord after doing even more extensive audio modification, whenever I had to get any work covered by warranty, it was essentially a non-issue. I should clarify that the LOC (line output control) is actually built into the amp, so no need to buy one separately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121012_173355_475.jpg
Views:	18488
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	44383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121012_173314_914.jpg
Views:	30680
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	44384  
MGP999 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MGP999 For This Useful Post:
Dopeyman06 (08-07-2017), rabican (07-01-2014)
post #12 of 70 Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 AM
4th Gear
 
Gfn8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Perrysburg (Toledo), OH
Posts: 466
Thanks: 9
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Garage
That looks good.

I've heard that the 9th-Gen stereo's sound in general is not the improvement that the 8th-Gen's was; in fact it's probably the equivalent of the 7th-Gen. If I wanted to replace all the factory speakers with just better-constructed ones (i.e., no paper cones)--not a component setup or anything elaborate, just something that will take a little power once in a while--do I need extra amps or anything like that (as I've heard stuff about the head-unit not putting out enough power for even basic aftermarket speakers, which can damage them), or is it a basic "plug-and-play" operation (realizing that I might have to take the car to a stereo shop, since from what I've seen on Crutchfield's site, there's probably going to be some slight modifications involved, especially in the doors)? And especially important in the 9th-Gen, is the installation of aftermarket speakers going to mess with the ANC?

I can "talk the talk" somewhat on this topic, but probably actually end up sounding more like an idiot!! Any information would be helpful, as if I'm not excited about the sound in the Touring I have on order, I may think about some basic improvements next Spring.

(If any of this has been answered already, I apologize--I'm having one of those days! )
Gfn8r is offline  
post #13 of 70 Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 AM
4th Gear
 
nochamars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 449
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGP999 View Post
Here are the pics of the rear deck from inside the car (which pretty much show no bulge from the sub grill) and the set-up from within the trunk. I talked to my tech about warranty and he agreed that there should be no impact on the car warranty. For my previous Accord after doing even more extensive audio modification, whenever I had to get any work covered by warranty, it was essentially a non-issue. I should clarify that the LOC (line output control) is actually built into the amp, so no need to buy one separately.
Wow that actually looks really good!

*2009 Honda Accord Ex - Sedan
*Taffeta White
*8000k HID
*PUTCO LED lightning
*Infinity Kappa 692.9i Speakers/4 Channel Amp
*Audio Control LC7i
*JL Audio W6 on the way soon.......

More mods to come when life gets back on track....
nochamars is offline  
post #14 of 70 Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 AM
4th Gear
 
nochamars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 449
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfn8r View Post
That looks good.

I've heard that the 9th-Gen stereo's sound in general is not the improvement that the 8th-Gen's was; in fact it's probably the equivalent of the 7th-Gen. If I wanted to replace all the factory speakers with just better-constructed ones (i.e., no paper cones)--not a component setup or anything elaborate, just something that will take a little power once in a while--do I need extra amps or anything like that (as I've heard stuff about the head-unit not putting out enough power for even basic aftermarket speakers, which can damage them), or is it a basic "plug-and-play" operation (realizing that I might have to take the car to a stereo shop, since from what I've seen on Crutchfield's site, there's probably going to be some slight modifications involved, especially in the doors)? And especially important in the 9th-Gen, is the installation of aftermarket speakers going to mess with the ANC?

I can "talk the talk" somewhat on this topic, but probably actually end up sounding more like an idiot!! Any information would be helpful, as if I'm not excited about the sound in the Touring I have on order, I may think about some basic improvements next Spring.

(If any of this has been answered already, I apologize--I'm having one of those days! )
Stock head unit will make any after market speaker sound like shit. To make the sound better from a head unit you can add an amplifier and components. For the best sound out of your stock unit add a sound processor something like the audio control lc7i.

*2009 Honda Accord Ex - Sedan
*Taffeta White
*8000k HID
*PUTCO LED lightning
*Infinity Kappa 692.9i Speakers/4 Channel Amp
*Audio Control LC7i
*JL Audio W6 on the way soon.......

More mods to come when life gets back on track....
nochamars is offline  
post #15 of 70 Old 10-13-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Well the EX models and above have a little more wattage in the factory HU to push some after-market speakers assuming you have the sub amplified separately. I have a set of 8 yr old MB Quarts components from my 2003 Accord I would like to put in this Honda with a square of sound dampening around each woofer, but that isn't a big priority now. I still am hoping Honda releases a service bulletin about the B pillar wind noise that has crept up again.

MGP999 is offline  
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome