comparison OEM vs aftermarket 3rd & 4th gear pressure switches, solenoids, etc. - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 2i2dk1ny2i3
  • 2 Post By t-rd

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-09-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

comparison OEM vs aftermarket 3rd & 4th gear pressure switches, solenoids, etc.

so i will be comparing my experiences between using Aftermarket Auto V6 Transmission parts vs. Honda OEM

i finally saved up enough to replace everything with Honda OEM parts

the main components being:

OEM Solenoid A + (gasket)
OEM Solenoid B/C + (gasket) already had OEM
OEM 3rd Gear Pressure Switch
OEM 4th Gear Pressure Switch

my main reason being my 3rd Transmission was shipped directly from Japan and the Transmission Shop also stated they used my old Solenoids? I been getting intermittent blinking D light at high rpms and now recently during cold start ups

nothing like the constant blinking D that doesn't go away but still cause for concern

up until now, aftermarket parts have been ok but replacing Solenoid B/C with aftermarket has caused harsh shifting. I tried 2 different Solenoids and both caused harsh shifting. if you've ever experienced this, it would be like going beyond the crisp shift points to a stutter type shift or harsh shift

weather is finally getting warmer and i wanna do:

3rd & 4th Gear Pressure Switches first

then B/C Solenoid

then A Solenoid

will post results when done.

Pricing

I mainly searched 8-10 Honda Online sites, Hondapartsnow, etc.

Best prices I could find were from Majestic Honda: Total $706.04 in 4/2019

highest combined total went up to $900-1,000/shipped

again, not sure if its because my Used Transmission came straight from Japan and possibly they have different shifting points than US Spec, hopefully this will get rid of the rare blinking D in high RPMs and more recently during cold start shifts

side note: both Solenoids A & B/C came pre-lubed with what i assume is ATF fluid? my aftermarket ones did not and i wouldn't use the aftermarket gaskets or O-rings. for mine, the gasket seemed a lot thinner than Honda OEM and the O-rings weren't a tight fit

hope this helps if your looking for these parts Honda OEM:

visionguru likes this.

2003 Accord 4dr EX V6 Graphite Pearl aka Dark Grey
300,000K club on 3rd Transmission

Mods: Driven heavily modded vehicles. "once a modder always a modder"
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-11-2019, 05:31 AM

How "harsh" are the shifts? Aftermarket solenoid might not be aftermarket, but re-tuned OEM units. The B/C solenoid from Sonnax has the screws at the end turned so that shifts don't glide over but bump over for less clutch pack wear. This is not necessarily a bad thing. All my shifts are way firmer after the rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2i2dk1ny2i3 View Post
so i will be comparing my experiences between using Aftermarket Auto V6 Transmission parts vs. Honda OEM

the main components being:

OEM Solenoid A + (gasket)
OEM Solenoid B/C + (gasket) already had OEM
OEM 3rd Gear Pressure Switch
OEM 4th Gear Pressure Switch

my main reason being my 3rd Transmission was shipped directly from Japan and the Transmission Shop also stated they used my old Solenoids? I been getting intermittent blinking D light at high rpms and now recently during cold start ups

nothing like the constant blinking D that doesn't go away but still cause for concern

up until now, aftermarket parts have been ok but replacing Solenoid B/C with aftermarket has caused harsh shifting. I tried 2 different Solenoids and both caused harsh shifting. if you've ever experienced this, it would be like going beyond the crisp shift points to a stutter type shift or harsh shift

2i2dk1ny2i3 and slimm1469 like this.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #3 of 4 Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

"harsh" shift meaning like a normal shift around 2,500 - 3,000 rpm, nothing up top it will shift, but then rpms will dip, then it feels like it engages

i wanted to try a grab a video for anyone who may come across my same situation. i even drove it home and it didn't improve next morning so i swapped it out for the "glide" shifting B/C Solenoid

i had a "crisp" shifting Solenoid for only a short time before 2nd transmission went so i do have a point of reference between "harsh" "glide" "crisp"

will try to post soon when i get back home to CO from work trips

2003 Accord 4dr EX V6 Graphite Pearl aka Dark Grey
300,000K club on 3rd Transmission

Mods: Driven heavily modded vehicles. "once a modder always a modder"
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-18-2019, 08:45 AM

The "slide-bump" symptom seems to be what you are talking about or gear holding a second then shifting into the next gear? That's a problem with the original valve body of the BAYA transmission. This is why I proposed to you to have your original trans rebuilt with the translab shift kit installed, instead of spending $2500 getting a used one installed then another $691 on solenoids. Those new solenoids most likely will not fix the problem you are experiencing.

Article on solenoid adjustment:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...stment-728370/

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in