05 Accord Suddenly Wonít Start, Please Help - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By enne
  • 1 Post By visionguru

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-13-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

05 Accord Suddenly Wonít Start, Please Help

I drove my car earlier in the morning to run errands and my car worked perfectly fine. Then I got back home and needed to step out hours later only for my car to not want to start. The lights on the dashboard and interior light lit up when I turned the key but thatís it, no power connecting to start up the engine and no revving up sounds.

My neighbor attempted to give me a jump but nothing happened.

This is the first time Iíve had an issue like this since getting my car over a decade ago and I feel like it may be my starter based off of what I read.

Please help. What is the avg cost of repair for this going and whatís the best route to take?

I live in Northern NJ if that helps

Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-14-2019, 04:24 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Locate the starter, and tap on it with something like the handle of a screwdriver, or the head of a wrench.

Mg8402 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 166K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Honda Prelude Si Coupe 2.0 B20A5 4WS 97k Granada Black Pearl

(Click a name to go to its respective thread)
post #3 of 7 Old 04-14-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Excuse my ignorance but where is the starter located?

I’m not that car savvy and I’m afraid of going to a mechanic without having some base knowledge as to what may be going on since I’m a woman. I did a bit of research and saw on Autozone that their aftermarket starters are in the $120-200 range, is going that route ok?
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-14-2019, 08:20 AM
5th Gear

Since you didn't mention V6, I assume it's a 4 banger.
Here is a link for background knowledge:
https://www.hexautoparts.com/blog/Ho...ent-Guide.html

I would start by calling different shops, seeking quotes first. Also, ask questions what kind of parts they use (brand name, remanufactured or new). Generally, mechanics don't allow bringing your own parts. If they do, they often don't provide warranty on their work. Unless you DIY, you might want to use their parts, because labor cost is going to be more than the part.
Mg8402 likes this.

2007 Accord EX-L V6 @155K Alabaster Silver
2016 Audi Q5 3.0T Premium Plus w/Tech Pkg @12K
Previously:
2005 Honda Accord Hybrid ([email protected])
1989 Honda Accord DX ([email protected])
1985 Honda Accord ([email protected])
post #5 of 7 Old 04-14-2019, 09:13 AM

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,612 Posts
Mg8402,

Please don't pull the "since I'm a woman" thing. The first response to your thread was from a woman....she knows more than any ten guys.

Please tell us if you have a 4 cylinder engine or a 6 cylinder engine.

Please tell us the mileage on your car.

Most likely, your car did not start because of a bad ignition switch, a bad starter, a bad battery, or loose and corroded electrical connections. Your issue may simply be that the battery terminals should be cleaned and the cables re-attached.

I went through this last year- I replaced my ignition switch in 20 minutes for about $15.....then I removed and rebuilt my starter in three hours time for under $25. But that was me doing the work.

A Honda dealer would want about $750 to replace your starter. That includes the cost of the part and of labor. An independent garage may charge you $400 for this- but they would use a starter from who knows where.....Ideally, you would want your very own starter to be rebuilt from an alternator/starter rebuild shop. Believe it or not- you do not want a "new" starter- they are mostly imported junk that looks shiny, but most likely will not last long.

The ignition switch is about $65 from Honda, and their dealership mechanics would charge you an hour of labor. What is the going rate in NJ? $120 an hour?

Cleaning and re-attaching the battery connections is a few minutes. Start with this- connections get dirty, and loose. Fixing that is free.

Good luck.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mg8402 View Post
Iím not that car savvy and Iím afraid of going to a mechanic without having some base knowledge as to what may be going on since Iím a woman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Mg8402,

Please don't pull the "since I'm a woman" thing.
Rick, in her defense, I read that as her seeking knowledge so the mechanics won't easily take advantage, since she's a woman. I've seen it a million times, dealerships and shifty mechanics taking advantage of women.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):

Maintenance isn't based on milestones. It's ongoing and incremental.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drew03Accord For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (04-14-2019)
post #7 of 7 Old 04-14-2019, 04:36 PM

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,612 Posts
Drew, you are correct. My apologies. I read it wrong.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in