Places that can install shocks/ springs? - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By emeron

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Places that can install shocks/ springs?

Alright so I know this is a bit random... I’m trying to find a place here in town that would be able to install aftermarket shocks and springs. I’m having difficulties finding somewhere that will and I must say I understand as places might not be wanting to touch aftermarket parts and modifications. So my question is if you had shocks and lowering springs installed on your vehicle by a mechanic what kind of shop did you go to? So far I’ve tried most auto repair shops and even tire shops but not having luck... I would do this myself but I just don’t have the proper tools nor the garage space. I also don’t personally know anyone that could either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 07:52 AM
5th Gear

I got lowering springs, larger diameter rear sway bar and front tower brace put in my old car at my regular mechanic. The same shop also installed some more parts that I brought it like brake pads and rotors, no questions asked. I took my car there regularly. They charged me good prices, I paid in cash, tipped, shook hands, shot the bull.

Most shops don't even touch parts brought in by customers they don't know, and with good reason. It is important to get to know your accountant, your barber and your mechanic.

Failing that, you can check craigslist for (people who claim to be) mechanics who don't have their own shop and travel to you, but I cannot really recommend doing that for obvious reasons.

2014 Accord Coupe cvt ex-l nav
2004 CR-V mt
post #3 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Ah okay. You raise a great point there. Till then, I’ll keep calling around. Thank you for the response.
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 08:17 AM
1st Gear

I don't see why a performance shop wouldn't do it or maybe even a meineke/pep boys/sears/etc? Never had them installed myself, but it is strange they wouldn't do it. I guess maybe since they aren't selling the parts.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 08:35 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Try looking for performance shops rather than mom and pop repair places.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 167K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Honda Prelude Si Coupe 2.0 B20A5 4WS 99k Granada Black Pearl
*ALMOST AT 100K MILES!*

(Click a name to go to its respective thread)
post #6 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 08:50 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvisuals1 View Post
I don't see why a performance shop wouldn't do it or maybe even a meineke/pep boys/sears/etc? Never had them installed myself, but it is strange they wouldn't do it. I guess maybe since they aren't selling the parts.
I have to say rather than missing the opportunity to pocket the markup on parts, they are leery of the liability. If the customer brings the car back with a problem, it will be an issue to determine whether the part was bad or installed wrong. It is an argument nobody needs. Even if you offer to pay royalties to make up for their lost profit on parts -like the cork money restaurants charge you if you bring your own wine- they will not do it. Chain stores and dealerships have strict policies against customer parts.

2004 CR-V mt
post #7 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeron View Post
I have to say rather than missing the opportunity to pocket the markup on parts, they are leery of the liability. If the customer brings the car back with a problem, it will be an issue to determine whether the part was bad or installed wrong.
This is probably why OP is having a hard time finding a regular shop to install their parts. My shop wouldn't install parts for me when I first started going to them. Now I bring all my own parts unless I can't get them on my own, can't get them for cheaper/want them quicker, or want OEM parts. Especially on the Prelude, most times they can't even get the parts I need, and I have to bring my own. They're fine with that because they know and trust me to get quality parts. And that I understand they are liable for labor only.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 167K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1989 Honda Prelude Si Coupe 2.0 B20A5 4WS 99k Granada Black Pearl
*ALMOST AT 100K MILES!*

(Click a name to go to its respective thread)
post #8 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Honda Enthusiast

I have never had any shop refuse to install parts provided by me. Honda dealers will only install OEM Honda parts, but they will install OEM parts provided by the customer. Chain stores probably not so much, but I don't use them unless it's for a battery or some such.

OP: What's your location?

DARKART

CR2 Sport
Crystal Black Pearl
K24W1 Earth Dreams/6MT
If it's Mugen, it's worth it.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 AM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven31 View Post
Alright so I know this is a bit random... Iím trying to find a place here in town that would be able to install aftermarket shocks and springs. Iím having difficulties finding somewhere that will and I must say I understand as places might not be wanting to touch aftermarket parts and modifications. So my question is if you had shocks and lowering springs installed on your vehicle by a mechanic what kind of shop did you go to? So far Iíve tried most auto repair shops and even tire shops but not having luck... I would do this myself but I just donít have the proper tools nor the garage space. I also donít personally know anyone that could either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steven
You don't have a location listed under your username, so if by some chance are you in Gabarone, Botswana, my advice is to check out:

Springworks...
https://www.facebook.com/springworksbotswana/

ask for Gery...

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
154k miles (as of May '19)
post #10 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 09:33 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
You don't have a location listed under your username, so if by some chance are you in Gabarone, Botswana, my advice is to check out:

Springworks...
https://www.facebook.com/springworksbotswana/

ask for Gery...
Oh. That's a long way from Djibouti.
RickBlaine likes this.

2004 CR-V mt
post #11 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the info guys. I’m from Tallahassee Florida. Out of all the places I have called today I finally found one auto repair shop that’s willing to do so. I honestly did not think it would be this difficult to find a place that would install them but I do understand where they’re coming from.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in