Brand new, stains in clear coat? - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-08-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Brand new, stains in clear coat?

Hi All,

Just signed up, just got a new Accord 2.0T in white. Only had it about a week so far (150 miles as of day), and I noticed I already had some brown spots kicked up on the rear bumper from my wheels. I thought it was just dirt, but as I was trying to wash it away yesterday, it seems like they did fade off a little, but the spots still remain, and they're very noticeable. Tried running my finger on them to see if it was just really stuck on dirt, but cannot feel anything to grab, and my nail isn't scraping any of it off. I bought a bottle of Turtle Wax Bug/Tar remover and tried that today, and that didn't work either.

My question is, does anyone know any other options to try cleaning the stains off? Is it possible that my clearcoat is now stained somehow? Defective paint/clear coat on the bumper?

I'm even more curious if anyone else who has the platinum white pearl model has run into this same issue, where splashes are not cleaning off very well.

I've attached pictures of one of the rear bumpers to show the spots. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0808181619_HDR.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	490951   Click image for larger version

Name:	0808181619.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	490953  
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-08-2018, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear

Garage
I have not yet

2018 Honda Accord Touring 2.0 Platinum White Pearl
2017 Honda Pilot EX-L Steel Sapphire Metallic
2014 Honda Civic EX-L (traded in for Accord)
post #3 of 16 Old 08-08-2018, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear

I have same color but no issues. I have 4K mikes on mine. I would take it in.

I have not experienced any problems with bugs staining my paint. They wipe right off with a wet rag or car wash.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 08-08-2018 at 07:42 PM. Reason: merge
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-08-2018, 06:37 PM
6th Gear

That looks like tire shine applied by the dealer mixed with brake dust and flung off the tire and stained the paint.

I've also noticed that bugs and birds easily leave yellow/orange/brown stains that don't wash off on my Platinum White Pearl paint. Fortunately, these stains seem to disappear on their own in the hot sun during the week between hand washes.

I'd notify the dealer right away so it's on record then hope it fades away on its own. If not, I wish you the best of luck.

2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
post #5 of 16 Old 08-08-2018, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

Try some rubbing compound and a microfiber towel. If that doesn't work it may be a defect in the paint and I'd take it to the dealer.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-09-2018, 07:11 AM
8th Gen Believer

Agree ^^^ see the dealer. I can recommend 3M Clear Bra once you get it cleaned up. It deflects road rash, bird droppings, rock chips etc.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing solid FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #7 of 16 Old 08-09-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Spoke to the dealer, they said it was tree sap baked into the clear coat. They offered to schedule an appointment to try to buff it out, or send out the car to get the bumper repainted. The car only has 200 miles on it, but I wouldn't think I'd need to get it repainted so soon. Anyone ever have similar brown spots on a car due to tree sap? If so, I'd love to hear if there are any solutions to that, or if it's just permanently fused to the clear coat now.

I tried a claybar earlier, didn't really work. Might give it some more soaks with the bug/tar remover from Turtle Wax, but I don't know if that will help much.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-09-2018, 01:09 PM
6th Gear

Tree sap? Inside the wheel wells??

Did someone drive it through a farm over a bunch of felled Christmas trees while chasing Rudolph???

I hate to point out the obvious, but tree sap falls from trees onto mostly horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, trunk) - not sideways or from below onto the bottoms of fenders or inside wheel wells.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	60
Size:	868.9 KB
ID:	491041  
CDsDontBurn and BuickNut like this.

post #9 of 16 Old 08-09-2018, 01:57 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
Tree sap? Inside the wheel wells??

Did someone drive it through a farm over a bunch of felled Christmas trees while chasing Rudolph???

I hate to point out the obvious, but tree sap falls from trees onto mostly horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, trunk) - not sideways or from below onto
the bottoms of fenders or inside wheel wells.
Lo! Isn’t it great to know Honda hires tree experts in order to problem solve these situations? No wonder why I paid a premium for my Accord!!!
zroger73 likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I agree, it's a strange thing to claim since only the rear wheels seemingly rolled into whatever it is. I barely have any (if any) spots behind the front wheels. However, I don't find any other ideas as to what it could be, since bug/tar remover didn't fix it, I can't scrape it off with my nail, and it is definitely embedded into the clear coat since no other options have worked so far, clay bar included. I don't think tire wet turns brown, unless the wheels were really dirty, but that would surely take more than a week or two to justify that idea. So, I have no other ideas as to what it could be that splashed on, and then stained the clear coat.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-09-2018, 05:30 PM
3rd Gear

Garage
What state are you in? Maybe you could add that in your profile.

2018 Accord 2.0t 10 AT Touring
post #12 of 16 Old 08-09-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

New York, Long Island to be more specific.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-20-2018, 02:16 AM
Rush fan

If it really is tree sap (which I highly doubt), then some Goo Gone will remove it. Anyway, try some Goo Gone. Let it soak for a minute or so before wiping it off. But if you already tried rubbing compound and it didn't come off, then the imperfection has etched into the paint. If so, then wetsanding with 2000 grit and then buffing/polishing would be the only option short of a repaint.

Old timer
2004 Accord LX coupe 2.4L auto 189,000 mi
1989 CRX 500,000 mi (sold)
post #14 of 16 Old 11-16-2018, 05:22 AM
2nd Gear

Probably dirty when it was painted and clear coated, IMO. It happens, and should be repainted.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-16-2018, 05:34 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCon View Post
Spoke to the dealer, they said it was tree sap baked into the clear coat. They offered to schedule an appointment to try to buff it out, or send out the car to get the bumper repainted. The car only has 200 miles on it, but I wouldn't think I'd need to get it repainted so soon. Anyone ever have similar brown spots on a car due to tree sap? If so, I'd love to hear if there are any solutions to that, or if it's just permanently fused to the clear coat now.

I tried a claybar earlier, didn't really work. Might give it some more soaks with the bug/tar remover from Turtle Wax, but I don't know if that will help much.
So, it's been over three months since your last post. What did you have done or did you decide to live with it?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in