Is the manual transmission for real men only? - Page 5 - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 98 Old 04-12-2019, 04:27 AM
4th Gear

I love driving manual stick shifts. I've driven stick all my life, except my current two cars (wife doesn't car for manual).
Depends on the city you live in. If crazy traffic, get an auto. If small City, enjoy manual. Having said that, the automatic transmissions now are so quick to change that they're up there with the stick.
Advertisement

post #62 of 98 Old 04-12-2019, 06:43 AM
Reverse Gear

I was young once. As I approached driving age in the early 1980's, I'd see a cool car on the street. I wouldn't drool until I peaked into it, and saw the manual shift lever. I took my driving test in a manual, my oldest son did as well. When my second son went for his test, they told us that NJ no longer allows the driving test to be done in a manual transmission car.

When I was growing up, the choices were pretty much 3 speed auto or 5 speed manual. That's a no-brainer for me, I'll take the manual.

Then they went to 4 speed automatics. I said, ok, I'll bite and bought one. The 5 speed manuals still had a clear advantage, and I grew to regret my decision.

The number of gears kept growing on the automatics to the point where you get more gears, faster acceleration and better gas mileage in many (most?) automatic cars over their (increasingly fewer) manual counterparts.

I've been driving an Automatic V6 accord sedan for the past 4 years, and I really enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, if they offered a V6 Sedan with a manual, I'd have been all over it. On occasion, I almost wish I'd had gotten the coupe just to get the manual. But clearly the argument will favor the automatic for most people. For me though, my regret for driving an automatic car is still there, but it is not as much as it was long ago.

Why would I favor a manual, now that the technology in the automatics is so much more advanced?

1. I always found that a properly driven manual car will outlast a properly driven automatic. I don't know this for a fact, but I just feel that going to the next gear and having the rpm's forced downward while your foot is on the accelerator (which is what happens in an automatic) is just not good for the drivetrain.

2. Although an automatic can outshift me driving a manual, I still value being able to control what gear I'm in and when the transmission is going to shift. When you're driving a manual, there is no need to flip a switch for sport mode, eco mode or comfort mode, because it's all you, all the time.

3. As one other post above says, it gives me something to do while I'm driving, which keeps me more alert. Also, you need to keep one hand on the wheel, while having the other ready to shift as needed. So even if the thought comes to mind to take out my phone - its really impractical.

4. I think one is more attuned to the overall mechanical condition of one's car when driving a manual. If something is amiss, I'm more likely to feel it somehow.

just my 2 cents

2007 Accord LX-SE 4d 5spd MT Graphite Pearl (sold at 161k)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT Crystal Black Pearl/Ivory (His)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT White Orchid Pearl/Ivory (Hers)

Previous Rides
1993 Buick Regal 3.8
1992 Acura Legend LS 4D 5MT
1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4AT
1986 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT
1981 Saab 900 Turbo 4D 3AT "The money pit" $5K+ in repairs in 2 years
1976 Volvo 242DL 3AT "The Vault"
1976 Toyota Corona 4D 3AT "The Oven" black vinyl interior and no A/C
post #63 of 98 Old 04-12-2019, 07:27 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Thank you for your entirely subjective and personal opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
2.0T with the 10 speed is a great combination of gas mileage and power. Why row your own unless you live on a mountain road and can actually enjoy it - I can smoke any manual out there with ease.

All the arguments for manuals are disappearing unless you are tracking the car, and even that will be gone before long. A GT3 with a manual on a mountain road is fun, just about everywhere else it no longer makes sense
It still makes perfect sense. For someone looking to impress people with how fast or smooth their car drives, maybe not, but for someone looking for a vehicle that requires minimal maintenance at minimal cost, it is still a great solution. How much does it cost to change ATF/CVT fluid? How long does it take to get the job done? I can tell you that an MTF change takes about 5 minutes and costs me less than $20 using Honda branded fluids. I have to do it roughly every 75k-100k miles and I don't even need to lift the car to get it done. Because I'm shifting it myself, I know the general condition of my clutch, and can tell that I have a long life ahead for this vehicle. When buying a used one, it is fairly easy to identify a problem by feel. There is no limp mode in the event of an electronic failure, it either drives or it doesn't. I can pop the clutch if the battery is dead or the starter fails.

The MT makes perfect sense to me and people like me. I know I'm a minority in the car buyer market, and I know that the AT/CVT of today offers fantastic performance and efficiency, but that is not enough to make me choose one over the MT. I will continue to drive manual until it is either no longer available, or I get old enough to develop joint issues that would prevent me from driving it comfortably.

You go ahead and enjoy your 2.0 CVT, I hope it brings you joy, but just remember and respect that not everyone shares your opinion.
BenzAccord and Markus like this.

Current vehicle:
2014 Honda Accord LX 6MT 135K
easy mods and changes:
*55W HID lowbeam 5000K (Innovited upgrade kit)
*LasFit 9005 HB3 highbeam / DRL 6500k
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net
*All weather floor mats from College Hills Honda
*Gutter Guards behind lower grille

Previous vehicles:
2001 Chevy Prizm 3AT (given away, it was a terrible car...)
1995 Honda Accord DX 5MT (wrecked at 240K)
1989 Honda Civic LX 4AT (wrecked at 180K)
1988 GMC Sierra 1500 5MT (sold at 80K)
post #64 of 98 Old 04-12-2019, 07:31 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTheBeastV2 View Post

Real men are confident enough to let a machine change the gears for them.

Real men don't do everything. By virtue of their natural leadership they are judicious delegators and delegating gear shifting to a machine is natural.

real men live and let live to a certain degree, and don't worry too much about what other men and women are driving

EDIT:
Sorry @RickBlaine for the multiple posts

Current vehicle:
easy mods and changes:
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net

Previous vehicles:
post #65 of 98 Old 04-12-2019, 07:57 AM
ziptie princess

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzAccord View Post
Also, you need to keep one hand on the wheel, while having the other ready to shift as needed
do you tho

===

the idea of “having to pay more attention” when driving stick is interesting because tbh the only difference i’ve noticed between driving manual vs automatic is i keep trying to push in a clutch pedal that isn’t there when coming to a stop

03 Accord DX
92 240SX
80 KZ250
post #66 of 98 Old 04-12-2019, 08:35 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight witch View Post
do you tho

===

the idea of “having to pay more attention” when driving stick is interesting because tbh the only difference i’ve noticed between driving manual vs automatic is i keep trying to push in a clutch pedal that isn’t there when coming to a stop
And when you turn the key, can't forget that awkward stomp into an empty footwell
UnknownJinX likes this.

Current vehicle:
easy mods and changes:
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net

Previous vehicles:
post #67 of 98 Old 04-12-2019, 08:50 AM
Reverse Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight witch View Post
do you tho

===

When sitting next to a driver of a manual transmission car, ask the driver to tell you what gear the selector is in. No thought involved in the answer, he/she knows. Can the same be said for an automatic driver? Unless I’m on the highway, I have no idea what my gear my auto tranny is in. When you know what gear you are in, you have a better idea of what speed you are going too. Perhaps “more aware” is a better term than “having to pay more attention”.

2007 Accord LX-SE 4d 5spd MT Graphite Pearl (sold at 161k)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT Crystal Black Pearl/Ivory (His)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT White Orchid Pearl/Ivory (Hers)

Previous Rides
1993 Buick Regal 3.8
1992 Acura Legend LS 4D 5MT
1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4AT
1986 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT
1981 Saab 900 Turbo 4D 3AT "The money pit" $5K+ in repairs in 2 years
1976 Volvo 242DL 3AT "The Vault"
1976 Toyota Corona 4D 3AT "The Oven" black vinyl interior and no A/C
post #68 of 98 Old 04-12-2019, 09:15 AM
ziptie princess

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by easymike View Post
And when you turn the key, can't forget that awkward stomp into an empty footwell
gotta test the strength of the dead pedal tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzAccord View Post
When sitting next to a driver of a manual transmission car, ask the driver to tell you what gear the selector is in. No thought involved in the answer, he/she knows. Can the same be said for an automatic driver? Unless I’m on the highway, I have no idea what my gear my auto tranny is in. When you know what gear you are in, you have a better idea of what speed you are going too. Perhaps “more aware” is a better term than “having to pay more attention”.
edit: removed because i am having A Day and didn’t realize you meant like... in the same car

also the only time i pay attention to what speed i’m going is if there’s a cop behind me or i see one on the side of the road ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

03 Accord DX
92 240SX
80 KZ250
post #69 of 98 Old 04-12-2019, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

For some reason the manual I had in my '86 Accord LXi hatchback didn't excite me as much as the manual my '69 427 Vette.........Remember folks, it's only an Accord. LOL
post #70 of 98 Old 04-13-2019, 10:15 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
2.0T with the 10 speed is a great combination of gas mileage and power. Why row your own unless you live on a mountain road and can actually enjoy it - I can smoke any manual out there with ease.

All the arguments for manuals are disappearing unless you are tracking the car, and even that will be gone before long. A GT3 with a manual on a mountain road is fun, just about everywhere else it no longer makes sense
What was this? I couldn't tell if he was serious or trying to provoke a discussion. By having to state he could smoke another car pretty much proved he was insecure. And didn't he have an SS Camaro? Weird kid.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #71 of 98 Old 04-13-2019, 02:03 PM
Honda Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish-mt View Post
For some reason the manual I had in my '86 Accord LXi hatchback didn't excite me as much as the manual my '69 427 Vette.........Remember folks, it's only an Accord. LOL
That LX-i Accord would excite me as much or more than a Corvette, but that’s me.

DARKART

CR3 Sport
Crystal Black Pearl
K24W1 Earth Dreams/6MT
If it's Mugen, it's worth it.
post #72 of 98 Old 04-13-2019, 03:42 PM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
If you feel that your masculinity is defined by a stick shift, or a pickup truck, you have a problem. The definition of real men is far from a stick shift.
UnknownJinX likes this.

2018 Mazda 3 Hatchback Touring AT

2005 Honda Accord V6 - 185k - Sold

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #73 of 98 Old 04-14-2019, 05:25 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by da35 View Post
That LX-i Accord would excite me as much or more than a Corvette, but that’s me.
I fully understand, the torque of a big block is something that not everyone has experienced.
post #74 of 98 Old 04-14-2019, 05:23 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta View Post
If you feel that your masculinity is defined by a stick shift, or a pickup truck, you have a problem. The definition of real men is far from a stick shift.
This.

I used to care more, but now I am more just whatever. It's your car, pick whatever floats your boat.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #75 of 98 Old 04-14-2019, 10:51 PM
Sealed with ceramic coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTheBeastV2 View Post

Real men are confident enough to let a machine change the gears for them.

Real men don't do everything. By virtue of their natural leadership they are judicious delegators and delegating gear shifting to a machine is natural.

You confuse confidence with comfort, and the cultural fetish with multi-tasking while driving a car.

Older folks and disabled persons might be physically unable to use a manual shift, but most drivers want automatics because it's convenient for lazy people and distracted drivers. Parents with a load of screaming kids used to be the worst offenders, now it's the ever-growing army of idiots looking at cell phones instead of traffic.

2017 EX Coupe 2.4L 6MT
Crystal Black Pearl
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in