Is the manual transmission for real men only? - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 100 Old 04-04-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
banned

Is the manual transmission for real men only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift6 View Post
The 2.0T is a hard sell to begin with, let alone with a MT. It's a very small group of buyers.
2.0T with the 10 speed is a great combination of gas mileage and power. Why row your own unless you live on a mountain road and can actually enjoy it - I can smoke any manual out there with ease.

All the arguments for manuals are disappearing unless you are tracking the car, and even that will be gone before long. A GT3 with a manual on a mountain road is fun, just about everywhere else it no longer makes sense
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 04-04-2019, 04:58 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
Quote:
The 2.0T is a hard sell to begin with, let alone with a MT. It's a very small group of buyers.
2.0T with the 10 speed is a great combination of gas mileage and power. Why row your own unless you live on a mountain road and can actually enjoy it - I can smoke any manual out there with ease.

All the arguments for manuals are disappearing unless you are tracking the car, and even that will be gone before long. A GT3 with a manual on a mountain road is fun, just about everywhere else it longer makes sense
Who's arguing? People who buy MT buy it because they love it, not to "smoke" anyone. My 11 year old son can put a car in D, grab the wheel and floor it and let the car do the rest. Sounds very exciting. Not. Your car goes to 60 in 5.5 seconds. You are in a rush to get to that speed. Mine gets to 60 in 5.8...those 0.3 seconds mean NOTHING. Bouncing off the rev limiter and slamming the car into gears is a lot of fun. I'm using all four limbs to drive. You're telling a computer when and how to shift. I have a direct conduit between me and the machine. To me that's a lot more engaging and alive than those 0.3...

"Measures were taken." - Silvio Dante
The Following User Says Thank You to slickshift6 For This Useful Post:
Baldeagle (04-13-2019)
post #3 of 100 Old 04-04-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
banned

But the "engage" argument only works for me on a nice road and a true sports car (I would never want a bike with an auto) - for daily driving it just doesn't make much sense. What enjoyment do you really get rowing a manual in traffic? In my view it's just more a pain in the a s s (this will get censored). It's also slower and reduces gas mileage

Yes I do care about being quicker, and trust me it's more than 0.3 sec for the vast majority of drivers. It's probably a few car lengths and it matters.

I drove the new Accord with a manual, it just isn't that good - actually it's pretty bad (stock). Long throws, way too cushy/rubbery. A real manual is short, precise and you can hammer it
slimm1469 likes this.
post #4 of 100 Old 04-05-2019, 02:24 AM
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Who's arguing? People who buy MT buy it because they love it, not to "smoke" anyone. My 11 year old son can put a car in D, grab the wheel and floor it and let the car do the rest. Sounds very exciting. Not. Your car goes to 60 in 5.5 seconds. You are in a rush to get to that speed. Mine gets to 60 in 5.8...those 0.3 seconds mean NOTHING. Bouncing off the rev limiter and slamming the car into gears is a lot of fun. I'm using all four limbs to drive. You're telling a computer when and how to shift. I have a direct conduit between me and the machine. To me that's a lot more engaging and alive than those 0.3...
Ah.....young one. I had that exact same attitude when I was younger, also. "Give me a manual, (VIGOROUS FORNICATION) the automatic, I'm a man", I would say. Seriously, manuals were a hoot to drive. I still wouldn't mind having one in a "toy, weekend" car, but for my daily driver, I'll take the automatic any day. As I matured and got older, I realized just how precious automatics were. So nice. So convenient. I imagine as you get older, you will realize this, also.

2017 EX-L V6. WOP. 28% Solarguard. Thinkware F50 Dashcam. Otherwise, Bone stock.
There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over.

Last edited by RickBlaine; 04-05-2019 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Swearing on Drive Accord!
post #5 of 100 Old 04-05-2019, 05:01 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowcat View Post
Quote:
Ah.....young one. I had that exact same attitude when I was younger, also. "Give me a manual, (VIGOROUS FORNICATION) the automatic, I'm a man", I would say. Seriously, manuals were a hoot to drive. I still wouldn't mind having one in a "toy, weekend" car, but for my daily driver, I'll take the automatic any day. As I matured and got older, I realized just how precious automatics were. So nice. So convenient. I imagine as you get older, you will realize this, also.
Or just sit in traffic for hours on end. The biggest problem with manual transmission is that they make an already bad experience (traffic) much worse. It's not fun driving I'm traffic and rowing my own gears isn't going to change that. They were fun growing up in northern New England, less fun living in traffic nightmare of metro DC.
post #6 of 100 Old 04-05-2019, 06:57 AM
4th Gear

The multi-quote button is here! Rejoice!!!

MODERATOR EDIT: Your thoughtful and well-written responses are now combined into one outstanding post! Please use the MULTI-QUOTE button when replying to multiple posts!
I appreciate a comment like this, I really do. It has a doze of harmless humor and it's good a valid point - minus whatever Rick Blaine edited out. Perhaps you are right - my dad certainty thinks so. He didn't drive an automatic until mid 90s when he moved to US from Europe, and 20 years later he grunts and huffs and puffs when he has to drive my car anywhere. So I get it. I'm sure I'll get there. But for now, I'll enjoy it. I was recently at a Honda Superstore, one of the biggest in the Midwest, they have thousands of new cars, most Accords than I've ever seen and WAY LESS than 15% were 2.0T. Someone here posted not that long ago numbers for 1.5 vs 2.0 for 2018 sales; it was around 8% if I remember correctly. That included all 2.0; if you go down to MT variants, it's around 0.7%. The 2.0T 6MT will never be a rare sought after car but it's rare in terms of how many are out there. If it somehow does survive MMC 2021, I would be AMAZED if it makes a return for 11th Gen.

Last edited by RickBlaine; 04-05-2019 at 08:08 AM. Reason: DAS MERGE! TWO POSTS BECOME ONE! MULTI-QUOTE FEATURE IS OUR FRIEND!
post #7 of 100 Old 04-05-2019, 07:34 AM
Row 'em

For those of you who presume to speak for everyone else regarding manual transmissions:

I'm 58 years old, my daily driver is a 2018 Accord Sport 6MT, I have a terrible commute in hellacious L.A. rush-hour traffic, and I still say you can take away my manual transmission when you pry the gear lever from my cold, dead hands.

I chose the Accord specifically because it's one of the last manual-transmission sedans available.
2005 6mt, 6shifter, Parisi and 5 others like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaveTheManuals For This Useful Post:
jrjmurray (04-11-2019), stiller fan (04-14-2019)
post #8 of 100 Old 04-05-2019, 09:01 AM
4th Gear

Real men are confident enough to let a machine change the gears for them.

Real men don't do everything. By virtue of their natural leadership they are judicious delegators and delegating gear shifting to a machine is natural.

enne and jrjmurray like this.

2003 Accord 2.4 LX Sedan.
post #9 of 100 Old 04-05-2019, 09:01 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
But the "engage" argument only works for me on a nice road and a true sports car (I would never want a bike with an auto) - for daily driving it just doesn't make much sense. What enjoyment do you really get rowing a manual in traffic? In my view it's just more a pain in the a s s (this will get censored). It's also slower and reduces gas mileage

Yes I do care about being quicker, and trust me it's more than 0.3 sec for the vast majority of drivers. It's probably a few car lengths and it matters.

I drove the new Accord with a manual, it just isn't that good - actually it's pretty bad (stock). Long throws, way too cushy/rubbery. A real manual is short, precise and you can hammer it
"It's probably a few car lengths and it matters." - few car lengths, do you hear yourself? Is this a thing in real world? That statement is so lame and immature; aside from being false (few car lengths is 1-2 seconds slower and 2.0T 6MT is not a 7.5s car. Even the 1.5T 6MT can beat 7.5...

post #10 of 100 Old 04-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Reverse Gear

Quote:
My concern is, and I know I'm in minority here is they'll drop the manual transmission during the refresh or might just limit it to the 1.5T like they did for the past 10 years (manual sedan only available in lower trims and weak engines).
Manufacturers are getting smarter. They don't mind putting MT's in the car if it means a good profit. Take the 2019 Mazda 3. You can only get the MT in the highest trim level. Honda's getting there themselves, as the 10th gen Accord is the first gen with no MT available on the lower profit LX. Also notice that the 10th gen Accord Sport models have no discount for going with the manual over the higher tech, no doubt, higher production cost CVT/10 speed automatic. I think that is also a first.

2007 Accord LX-SE 4d 5spd MT Graphite Pearl (sold at 161k)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT Crystal Black Pearl/Ivory (His)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT White Orchid Pearl/Ivory (Hers)

Previous Rides
1993 Buick Regal 3.8
1992 Acura Legend LS 4D 5MT
1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4AT
1986 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT
1981 Saab 900 Turbo 4D 3AT "The money pit" $5K+ in repairs in 2 years
1976 Volvo 242DL 3AT "The Vault"
1976 Toyota Corona 4D 3AT "The Oven" black vinyl interior and no A/C
post #11 of 100 Old 04-05-2019, 10:45 AM
2nd Gear

I have to say I'm Intrigued by the 2019 VW Jetta GLI. They finally took the engine from the GTI and put it in the GLI. Not de-tuned or anything. It is 228 HP/258 Tq but, there will be plenty of tuning options out there. The digital and configurable instrument panel looks phenomenal (Taken form Audi). Cooled seats. Manual Transmission. In sport mode, it sounds great. And, 30K with some discounts coming. Like I said, my interest is peaked!
BenzAccord, 2005 6mt and mjh like this.
post #12 of 100 Old 04-05-2019, 11:33 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTheBeastV2 View Post

Real men are confident enough to let a machine change the gears for them.

Real men don't do everything. By virtue of their natural leadership they are judicious delegators and delegating gear shifting to a machine is natural.

Delegators is not plural of delegator. Delegator is a singular noun. Real men know this.

post #13 of 100 Old 04-05-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
banned

Quote:
"It's probably a few car lengths and it matters." - few car lengths, do you hear yourself? Is this a thing in real world?
Yes - a few car lengths is massive. Stoplight races are part of the fun

Quote:
That statement is so lame and immature
Haha, whatever man, I like to have fun

Quote:
aside from being false (few car lengths is 1-2 seconds slower and 2.0T 6MT is not a 7.5s car. Even the 1.5T 6MT can beat 7.5...
Go run an auto and see for yourself, it is quite accurate

Oh and if I hear the "real men" bs one more time....I drove a manual FD RX-7 with Pettit short shift (360 rwhp) for nearly 20 years, and an S2000 for about 6 years, I know what a good manual is and it's not the one in the Accord
post #14 of 100 Old 04-05-2019, 12:19 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Yes - a few car lengths is massive. Stoplight races are part of the fun

Haha, whatever man, I like to have fun

Go run an auto and see for yourself, it is quite accurate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spIczRuboEc

Oh and if I hear the "real men" bs one more time....I drove a manual FD RX-7 with Pettit short shift (360 rwhp) for nearly 20 years, and an S2000 for about 6 years, I know what a good manual is and it's not the one in the Accord
Conversation was about comparison between 10th Gen Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT and 10th Gen Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT and to prove your point of 10th Gen Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT being faster than 10th Gen Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT, you post a video of 9th Gen Accord Touring V6 6AT vs 10th Gen Accord Touring 2.0T 10AT.

post #15 of 100 Old 04-05-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
banned

Calm down - I know that, no need to type out a long winded post with obvious crap in bold font , I didn't see a video of the manual but reportedly it is comparable to the V6 auto

Anyway you would lose big so this is settled before it even started. Manuals are significantly slower
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in