Honda should issue a Recall on VTC actuator issues then a TSB - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums
View Poll Results: VTC Failure
Recall 7 77.78%
STB 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:19 AM
1st Gear

Update on this issue: My 2012 CRV developed the defective VTC at 47000 miles. I have spoken to my Honda Dealer, and Honda USA 6 times. "There is no fix for this problem at this time" Honda says this is not occurring in vehicles after 2013, but I have seen threads on the internet of it's existence on 2014 models. I tried to lemon law my CRV but because Honda will make no attempt to fix the problem which is worsening, it doesn't qualify. The mechanic at Honda told me if the noise continues more than a few seconds don't drive the car as engine failure could occur. I asked the sales manger at my dealer if he would be able to sell this car from his used Honda inventory, but got no response. I have file complaints with NHTSA, and the attorney general of Pa. Honda is IMHO clearly not honoring their warranty. This defect potentially affects 10's of thousands of cars conservatively.

honda tells me that there is still no fix, BUT they say vehicles released after 2013 are not the same. Honda is saying a Giant #$#$# to thousands of Honda owners

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2015, 08:08 PM
My First Post

Exclamation

My Honda accord 2008 model has been grinding every morning that we crank it everyday for about a year just grinds when it is cold and just for few seconds I thought my starter was dragging now my accord has started to use oil in between oil changes for about 6months I ve been putting 1_2 quarts between oil changes the last oil change by the car got to 15%ihad added at least 3 1/2 - 4 quarts to keep the correct amount in engine I have never had a vehicle to do this before that is way too much oil by brothers civic had 320000 miles on it and it did not use no oil has the superior of Honda quality gone I want the Hondas back that you never had no trouble out of whats going on are they produce them so fast that their not doing a good job any more it looks like that faster faster faster has caused nothing but a lot of problems and recalls for Honda or is Honda going to be like most and let their customer the consumer bite the bullet I used to lov my Hondas but when you got to figure out hom many quarts between oil changes is normal for the customer to have to buy I stiil like the old dependable Hondas when you never had to add oil between oil changes does Honda think we are stupid

Is Honda going to take responsibility and fix these vehicles

Old 08-30-2015, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

It looks right now like Honda is going to screw a lot of K engine owners. I've called Honda USA and their position is this is an inconvenience, and they're sorry but no solution is at hand. I spoke to the GM of my Honda dealership. He said if I traded my 3 year old
CR-v he would not be able to sell it from his use car inventory. He told me the same thing happened to his wife's CR-v. I believe Honda has instructed dealers not to attempt to fix this problem, because the repair doesn't hold up. By refusing to try an fix the problem Honda escapes Lemon Law replacements. I have file a formal complaint with the AG of Pa. because Honda is not honoring their power train warranty. I have also registered the issue with the NTHSA. Recently, I have been asking other Honda owners randomly if they have this problem. More that 50% do
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 05:42 AM
1st Gear

As of 2015 Honda has updated service bulletin 09-010. Honda's current position to its agencies "Do Nothing". IMHO they are clearly violating their power train warranty, which covers all defects in internal engine parts.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Your are so wrong on this issue. This defect which should be covered by powere train warranty affects 1000's of cars built between 2008 to 2013. Honda's current position as of 2015 is do nothing to remedy the defect regardless of mileage. Dealers are now telling customers this is a normal operating condition, which will do no harm. Meanwhile try and sell a car making this noise, which in my case happens every time the car us started regardless of temperature. Honda is screwing the owners of 1000's of cars, their credibility is gone.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

My vtc actuator in my 2009 accord started around 30000 miles, but wasn't replaced until 50000 because I didn't know what the noise was. The replacement had been in for three days until started making the same noise again.
I don't think I will be buying another Honda.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:17 AM
My First Post

Honda Canada just notified me that a fix is available on my 2013 CRV EXL.
I have been pestering them about the VTC Actuator grinding noise for some time.
Hopefully this fix will do it. I still have no information as to what the mechanics will do for the correction.

[email protected]
Old 08-18-2016, 07:55 AM
1st Gear

I've noticed the noise, but I always thought it was related to high oil consumption. You guys can get mad at me, the truth is I'm not a mechanic; I just own a car to drive it places.

Just called Honda and they said I'm out of warranty so there is nothing they can do. I just moved to San Diego, so I'm hoping the warmer weather will minimize/eliminate the problem. I'm still a little peeved.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:07 AM
My First Post

Me, too!!! I also have an '08 Accord, and Honda wants $644 to fix the problem. It's been making the growling noise upon ignition ever since about 2 weeks after I bought it, back in 2011. Oh... & they are "evaluating" whether or not they are going to fix the sticking piston rings that cause my car to burn an excessive amount of oil between changes (safety recall issue). This has been the single worst car I've ever owned, and I've lost all respect for Honda.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

If you bump the starter a few times, are the noise time/volume affected?

If it is affected it may be the oil pump chain tensioner. Which requires the removal of the oil pan

Last edited by namegoeshere; 12-14-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: merge
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: