Should I get the Accord or the Stinger? - Page 3 - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 130Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 314 Old 12-26-2017, 06:39 PM
6th Gear

The Stinger is a winner, the Accord 2nd place. RWD > FWD until winter I guess.

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/29...-car-wins.html

2011 Accord Coupe I4 5 A/T
Advertisement

post #32 of 314 Old 12-26-2017, 07:18 PM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspire02 View Post
You can always trade your car in for a KIA.

What's your point? Other than being upset that someone thinks a Kia could be as good as a precious Honda.

Mark - Retired automotive lighting engineer
14 Accord Touring V6 Sedan

2017 VW Golf R 6M | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

Gone but not forgotten :08 Accord Sedan V6 (too expensive to keep repairing) | 97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB
The Following User Says Thank You to Markus For This Useful Post:
PAPI007 (01-14-2018)
post #33 of 314 Old 12-26-2017, 07:26 PM
4th Gear

The Stinger is really nice but it's too expensive compared to the Accord imo. You're looking at 39-40k for a similarly optioned Stinger as a Touring because have to spend extra for awd and the safety stuff isn't standard.

Interior is nice but not any better than the Accord's. It's a toss up which is better, down to personal preference and I prefer the Accord's. Not a fan of the Audi/Merc round vent dashboard design. Gauges look cheap compared to Accord.

Worst is front visibility and rear seat space. The hood is tall and long. There is no space under the front seats for rear passengers to put their feet so even though knee room is decent, you feel cramped because your feet are forced to be far back.

Would be a great used buy since it'll depreciate quickly compared to the Accord.
internalaudit and MD Accord like this.

04 Coupe V6 6MT
Advertisement

post #34 of 314 Old 12-26-2017, 07:34 PM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
I agree with Markus. Kia has come a long way. I have relatives who only buy Kia and are happy with them.

I got a Hyundai, which is Kia's cousin. Happy with it as well. We're looking at a van in the future, and Kia Sedona is on the consideration list.
internalaudit and vinuneuro like this.

2018 Mazda 3 Hatchback Touring AT

2005 Honda Accord V6 - 185k - Sold

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #35 of 314 Old 12-27-2017, 06:21 AM
6th Gear

Put SH-AWD on the Accord and I'd definitely pick that over a RWD or AWD Stinger.

I'm cheap. I might go with the 2019 Insight but haven't crossed out the Accord Hybrid, depending on the sweetener. Usually financing rates are cheaper on hybrids.
MD Accord likes this.

post #36 of 314 Old 12-27-2017, 09:02 AM
2013 Accord V6-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post
Put SH-AWD on the Accord and I'd definitely pick that over a RWD or AWD Stinger.
What is it you like about the SH-AWD compared to other AWD systems?

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #37 of 314 Old 12-27-2017, 11:49 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycar View Post
What is it you like about the SH-AWD compared to other AWD systems?
It's not brake-based torque vectoring? I've read a few write ups on it and they say it's one of the better AWD systems. Of course, they could be wrong and I admit, I'm not a techie or expert in car engineering.

If we can't get Honda to make great RWD vehicles again, might as well make FWD better with SH-AWD.
vinuneuro likes this.

post #38 of 314 Old 12-27-2017, 10:35 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
What's your point? Other than being upset that someone thinks a Kia could be as good as a precious Honda.
I don't want to derail this thread on the matter. This site is getting like TOV.

Before buying the current car I did my due diligence and checked out the whole car market. Weighed in all of the positives and negatives and made a choice. If you actually read I did check out the Stinger at the auto show, it was very nice both inside and outside.

I also checked on other KIA models while I was there. Other than the Optima, I didn't fit well in their smaller sedans, (Forte, Rio) Soul was good, Santa Fe was good. So what, you going to got on a hostile kick if I say A is better than B or no?

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 48K (current)

35600 replaced battery

Past cars
2002 Acura TL-S 206K
1996 Nissan Maxima SE 5-Spd 110K
1980 Volvo 242 GT 425K

Other Hondas in family
2017 Accord Sport 8k (mom's)

Past Accords
2000 Accord EX-L V6 100.5K (mom's)
post #39 of 314 Old 12-28-2017, 05:43 AM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspire02 View Post
I don't want to derail this thread on the matter. This site is getting like TOV.

Before buying the current car I did my due diligence and checked out the whole car market. Weighed in all of the positives and negatives and made a choice. If you actually read I did check out the Stinger at the auto show, it was very nice both inside and outside.

I also checked on other KIA models while I was there. Other than the Optima, I didn't fit well in their smaller sedans, (Forte, Rio) Soul was good, Santa Fe was good. So what, you going to got on a hostile kick if I say A is better than B or no?
No, I'm just wondering why you made the incredibly stupid suggestion that I could sell my Honda in response to my assertion that Kia has become a much better automaker than some here like to think.

Mark - Retired automotive lighting engineer
14 Accord Touring V6 Sedan

2017 VW Golf R 6M | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

Gone but not forgotten :08 Accord Sedan V6 (too expensive to keep repairing) | 97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB
post #40 of 314 Old 12-28-2017, 06:11 AM
2013 Accord V6-6MT

Quote:
It's not brake-based torque vectoring? I've read a few write ups on it and they say it's one of the better AWD systems. Of course, they could be wrong and I admit, I'm not a techie or expert in car engineering.

If we can't get Honda to make great RWD vehicles again, might as well make FWD better with SH-AWD.
SH-AWD is a true torque-vectoring system which uses two hydraulic clutches in the rear differential unit to independently transfer the available torque to either or both rear wheels with an overdrive feature to aid in cornering.

The link below gives the history of Honda's SH-AWD system. It is long and somewhat technical but very good. The current SH-AWD system has been greatly simplified, and it is described in the last part of the article.

Acura SH-AWD: A Comprehensive Analysis | YouWheel - Your Car Expert

The GKN Twinster AWD system works just like the current SH-AWD system and is used on certain GM and Ford vehicles, e.g., Buick Regal GS and Ford Focus RS, as well as models from other vehicle manufacturers. See the link below.

https://www.gkn.com/en/our-technology/2016/twinster/

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
The Following User Says Thank You to Graycar For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (12-28-2017)
post #41 of 314 Old 12-28-2017, 06:13 AM
Not My First Post

The stinger is actually on my to test drive list before I make a decision about the next car I have. My reservations about it: For a car equipped how I would need it, it is significantly more expensive. I like that for $36k you can have essentially a fully loaded accord 2.0 touring. For the fully loaded Kia you are looking at closer to $60k. Most people I know wouldn't bat an eyelash at spending $36k for a honda but would balk at dropping even $50k for a kia. If they had made the Kia with the 2.0 have close to the same performance as the 2.0T honda, and priced them equally for similar options, I might be willing to consider one of those. My current car has a liftback, so while I do like it, it's not necessarily a must have for my next purchase. The rear visibility is always compromised with a liftback. I do enjoy RWD and don't necessarily need AWD where I live, so the kia gets a plus in that department, but it's not like I autocross or track my cars so the real difference is negligible. While I do like the looks of the stinger, I remember driving kias not so long ago that basically fall apart after a few years, they still have a reputation for that they are trying to shake. Hondas to me have always had a better reputation for making quality vehicles than kia has.
Markus and internalaudit like this.
post #42 of 314 Old 12-28-2017, 06:53 AM
6th Gear

1. RWD (Stinger) and FWD (Accord) vehicles handle very differently on a fundamental level.

2. I couldn't even consider buying a Kia. I can't help but associate the brand with destitute persons with atrocious credit scores and in-house financing with weekly payments. While I agree many aspects of Kia have improved by orders of magnitude in the last 20 years, my mind is still polluted with images of Kia Sephias from the 90s and 2000s.
meowcat likes this.

2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
post #43 of 314 Old 12-28-2017, 10:28 AM
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
1. RWD (Stinger) and FWD (Accord) vehicles handle very differently on a fundamental level.

2. I couldn't even consider buying a Kia. I can't help but associate the brand with destitute persons with atrocious credit scores and in-house financing with weekly payments. While I agree many aspects of Kia have improved by orders of magnitude in the last 20 years, my mind is still polluted with images of Kia Sephias from the 90s and 2000s.
Agreed, 100%. I like Kia's designs. They are actually decent cars. I drove a new Optima and came away impressed. Has their reliability improved? Yes. Are they more reliable or just as reliable as Honda? Well, if I'm betting with my hard earned money, I'd say not. My biggest concern: How reliable will the car be long term, like 200K and beyond. I'm guessing it would be very rare for a 200k Kia to have few problems.
My 2002 Accord had 190k with very few issues.
zroger73 likes this.

2017 EX-L V6. WOP. 28% Solarguard. Thinkware F50 Dashcam. Otherwise, Bone stock.
There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over.
post #44 of 314 Old 12-28-2017, 10:49 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowcat View Post
Agreed, 100%. I like Kia's designs. They are actually decent cars. I drove a new Optima and came away impressed. Has their reliability improved? Yes. Are they more reliable or just as reliable as Honda? Well, if I'm betting with my hard earned money, I'd say not. My biggest concern: How reliable will the car be long term, like 200K and beyond. I'm guessing it would be very rare for a 200k Kia to have few problems.
My 2002 Accord had 190k with very few issues.
I have no doubt there are real quality differences between makes - even if the gap has been closing.

But, one thing I've noticed over the years is that people who buy (or can only afford) say, a Kia Forte over a Honda Civic primarily because the Kia is less expensive, also tend to defer or neglect proper maintenance.

I mean, how many people a Chevrolet Malibu and change the oil when required, keep it washed and vacuumed, and are really proud to have it in their garage?

From where I stand, Honda Accord buyers follow the Maintenance Minder, keep their vehicles clean, and are proud of their smart purchases.

Even if both the Malibu and Accord were of equal quality, I guarantee you'll see people take better care of Accords and they'll be on a road a lot longer. The Malibus will eventually end up filthy, dented, scratched, with mismatched tires, sitting at a used-car lot that'll sell that same car 10 times because they keep having to repo it after each buyer misses the first weekly payment.
internalaudit and meowcat like this.

2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
post #45 of 314 Old 12-28-2017, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:

I'm cheap. I might go with the 2019 Insight but haven't crossed out the Accord Hybrid, depending on the sweetener. Usually financing rates are cheaper on hybrids.
Put SH-AWD on the accord and you might as well take acura out back to shoot it, it's really the big thing keeping the TLX unique. I'd also argue that honda is already #1 in the midsize segment so they probably don't see a need to raise the bar further, or are keeping something like that in their back pocket in case the competition does something crazy.

On top of long term longevity concerns with kia, I'd be more put off with actual running and upkeep costs compared to an accord. You're putting a turbo4 FWD tuned for regular fuel with pretty normal tires vs a RWD or AWD tuned for premium on big sport tires - the kia also has relatively poor fuel economy to start with for some reason. Maybe where you live gas isn't too expensive but up here in canadaland it's over $5/gal for regular already. If I didn't care about fuel economy and was looking at the bigger engine option for the stinger I'd probably be comparing it to a TLX with the proven and loved J35, not an accord.

internalaudit likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in