Check Engine Light (CEL) in the rain, went into Limp Mode, I will sue Honda! - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 157Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 89 Old 01-12-2018, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Check Engine Light (CEL) in the rain, went into Limp Mode, I will sue Honda!

2018 Accord 2.0 Sport 6MT
Bought it on Dec. 27 2017
I put 1400 miles on it since
93 octane after first tank of gas
Was in Economy mode (stays in eco mode for most of my work week) when this happened.

On the way to work this morning, steady acceleration from 60 to 70 in 5th gear I felt the engine stumble for a second kind of like a misfire. Car then started flashing check engine light and went into limp mode. I got it off the highway and stopped. I was near a gas station so I drove to it in limp mode. When I got to the gas station and parked, the check engine light stopped flashing and my car seem to be normal again. I open the hood to check for oil, loose sensors or anything suspicious but everything appeared normal. I was only about 10 minutes from home so I decided to drive it home and take my truck to work instead. No problems on the drive home from work.
Going to bring it to the dealership tomorrow to have them take a look.
Anyone experience this on their new 2018 Accord?

Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 01-12-2018, 04:48 AM
5th Gear

Why don't you report back after the dealer has diagnosed the problem/s with your car.

Internet speculation about your car is meaningless, and will not help to repair your car.

zroger73, glen e, napkins and 2 others like this.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
post #3 of 89 Old 01-14-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

The dealership checked my car out, drove it around for a bit, scanned it for any codes...nothing. They couldn't replicate the problem nor was I able to replicate the problem. I have been driving it this whole weekend, the problem did not happen again.
So not sure what happen but it seemed like it was a freak occurrence.

"Save The Manuals"
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 Old 01-15-2018, 01:53 AM
1st Gear

Stop using 93 octane
post #5 of 89 Old 01-15-2018, 02:16 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by techaccord View Post
Stop using 93 octane

Agreed. Use what Honda designed the engine to use and thoughtfully documented in the owners manual: 87 octane.
post #6 of 89 Old 01-15-2018, 04:15 AM
Out of Control

The check engine flashing indicated that there was ongoing misfires. The dealership should have seen the code(s) for misfires, P0300-0304. That information would have been stored as well as the counters would have increased. You can pull the misfire counters in mode $06.

Misfires can be caused by 3 issues

1. Fuel mixture problems
2. Compression problems
3. Ignition issues.

I suspect your issue was 1, some fuel related problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
slimm1469 likes this.

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold @220k miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr @44k miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold @165k miles
post #7 of 89 Old 01-15-2018, 08:59 AM
2nd Gear

The 2L turbo adjusts for octane, visit the performance sub-forum and read posts by Hondata. Using higher than specified octane will not harm your engine or cause loss of performance.

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/26...test-dyno.html
post #8 of 89 Old 01-15-2018, 10:58 AM
2nd Gear

I did not mean to imply using high octane made his car go into limp mode. I just think it's silly using high octane when it is completely unnecessary in this engine. I had read that hondata dyno test thread; knock yourselves out if 9 more hp and 11lb/ft of torque above 4,000 rpm is that noticeable! It's your money.
post #9 of 89 Old 01-15-2018, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

Few things.

1) Turbo engines will feel more temperamental. You'll need to live with it. You early adopters of the 2.0T are all driving in the colder months so maybe you haven't see it yet. Wait till summer you'll wonder why some days the car doesn't have any guts and other days it's trying to shed tires. Temp and humidity impact forced induction engines a lot. Higher octane never helped for this issue I just had to live with some days it will feel like I had a regular Mazda 3.

2) Hopefully this isn't going to turn into the EcoBoost sudden lost of power issue which appears to impact a wide range of Fords with the EcoBoost. It was the final straw that sway me towards the 17 Accord V6 instead of a Fusion Sport (that and the self destructing engines and electrical issues that still makes you wonder if they really fixed it). In the case of Ford the issue appears maybe to do with moisture getting into the induction path by condensing inside the intercooler. Not sure how that can happen but the symptoms are similar: lose power and limp mode, power off to reset and recover. Dealer unable to figure out or reproduce.

3) Knocking will sometimes happen in my experience with turbo engines that is hard to explain. It's momentary but if it happens you'll feel it in the sudden but short decrease in power. If you log it the timing pull is for a short period only. Again I found octane didn't significantly help here either but then again I was only switching between 91 and 93. Tends to happen less in cold weather but again hard to find a set of actual causes as even some days when it's cold you'll experience this.
slimm1469 likes this.
post #10 of 89 Old 01-15-2018, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

My guess would either be moisture in the system or water in the fuel. However, it only happened once so that kind of makes things a little more curious. Could have just been a sensor connection or something.

Hope all stays well with your car.

2018 Accord Touring 2.0T - Black/Black
post #11 of 89 Old 01-15-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I did not start this thread to find internet speculation. I started this thread as a foundation of information for problems like these. If other people are having this problem, this would be a good place to document it because it might help others in the future who could run into similar issues.
If I am the only one having this problem, I would also like to know this so that I can start looking at my driving habits or gas stations that I frequent etc.

The dealership tried pulling for any codes that could be stored but could not find any.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCN_0037.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	451378  
motodan, slimm1469, Kamdog and 4 others like this.

"Save The Manuals"

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-19-2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: merge
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver6Speed For This Useful Post:
NemesisCW (04-17-2018)
post #12 of 89 Old 04-17-2018, 09:27 AM
5th Gear

To the OP: I appreciate threads like this because it informs me of potential issues even if "internet speculation" responses are given.

Sharing experiences as well as knowledge is the life-blood of message boards. So, Thanks ...

2018 Accord 4-Door 2.0T Touring [Modern Steel Metallic - 10th gen]
2011 Ridgeline RTL w/NAV [Mocha Metallic - 1st gen]

Previous Honda's:
  • 2014 Accord 4-Door V6 Touring [Crystal Black Pearl - 9th gen] (Traded)
  • 2010 Accord 4-Door EX-L V6/NAV [Bold Beige - 8th gen] (Sold)
  • 2002 Accord 4-Door EX-V6 [Noble Green - 6th gen] (Sold)
  • 1992 Accord 4-Door EX [Granada Black] - 4th gen] (Sold)
  • 1984 Accord 4-Door LX [Graphite Gray - 2nd gen] (Traded)
post #13 of 89 Old 04-19-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

10,000 + miles later and I have not ran into this issue again. It happen just that once and then it was gone. I've tried replicating it, driving it hard, babying it...nothing.
zroger73, GuitarTorture and jdpt2 like this.

"Save The Manuals"
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver6Speed For This Useful Post:
Slides (09-24-2018)
post #14 of 89 Old 05-28-2018, 05:36 PM
My First Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver6Speed View Post
10,000 + miles later and I have not ran into this issue again. It happen just that once and then it was gone. I've tried replicating it, driving it hard, babying it...nothing.
I bought a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 10 Speed Automatic and just experienced the same thing. Pulled out of a parking lot while mild rain was coming down, and the check engine light came on while it misfired keeping me around 10mph.

I pulled into the gas station, checked oil etc, turned off the car and back on, perfectly normal.

Going to call the dealership to report tomorrow... I only have 2200 miles on it.
post #15 of 89 Old 05-29-2018, 03:48 AM
6th Gear

A few things I'd like to add/clarify...

1. A flashing MIL ("check engine light") means that one or more cylinders are currently misfiring. If you continue driving while the MIL is flashing, you could melt your catalytic converter and wash the oil off the affected cylinder wall(s) causing severe wear.

2. The engine is tuned to run on a minimum of 87 octane gasoline. The engine does not require gasoline with an octane rating higher than 87. The use of a higher octane gasoline will not harm the engine. In fact, Honda recommends the use of 87 or higher octane gasoline - there is no upper limit specified. However, any power gains will be modest and limited since the engine is not tuned to take full advantage of the higher octane.

3. Feel free to use a higher octane gasoline if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside - the oil companies will thank you for it, but there is no financial advantage to using higher octane gasoline for the Accord. Let's say you drive 1,000 miles per month and regular is $2.97 per gallon (current national average) and you average 26 MPG - that's $114 per month in fuel costs. If you get 28 MPG by using premium, that's $125 per month at $3.50 per gallon - about $11 more per month for nothing. The car won't ride more smoothly, you won't get to work any faster, and you won't get more bass from the speakers.

4. We're talking about a Honda Accord here. It's a mid-size family sedan with polarizing looks and good handling for its class. It's not a luxury car even though it has leather and fake wood. It's not a race car even in Sport trim with a manual transmission (which is much slower than the automatic). It's less expensive than the average new car in 2017. This is a common car designed to run on common gasoline for the common person.

5. I can think of only one compelling reason to use premium gasoline in the Accord - if you're competing in a sanctioned event against another, identical Accord and winning involves a trophy or cash prize, you might win by reaching the quarter mile 0.1 second faster if the other driver is using regular gasoline. However, a Honda Accord is completely the wrong vehicle for this type of competition.

Slides, qman, tacthecat and 2 others like this.

2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in