Collision Mitigation Braking System - random activation and hard braking - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 129Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 210 Old 01-24-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Collision Mitigation Braking System - random activation and hard braking

I hesitate to report this but just now driving home, my collision detection activated for no reason at all.... No cars in front of me like at all. It flashed the BRAKE light and slammed the brakes. Very unnerving and concerning. It was a clear evening. In this case, there was zero reason for it to activate. I have seen it give the BRAKE light before when no one was there, but this was a serious slamming of the brakes. I will be setting that setting back!

EDIT:

Honda Sensing includes Lane keeping Assist System (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Road Departure Mitigation System (RDMS), and Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS).

https://automobiles.honda.com/sensing

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cavenger For This Useful Post:
jintegra (03-30-2019), mbk734 (01-24-2018)
Advertisement

post #2 of 210 Old 01-24-2018, 03:06 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavenger View Post
I hesitate to report this but just now driving home, my collision detection activated for no reason at all.... No cars in front of me like at all. It flashed the BRAKE light and slammed the brakes. Very unnerving and concerning. It was a clear evening. Note that I did set my detection on whatever the more sensitive setting is because I noticed it wasn't activating when I thought it should. Still, in this case, there was zero reason for it to activate. I have seen it give the BRAKE light before when no one was there, but this was a serious slamming of the brakes. I will be setting that setting back!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Are you able to turn that feature off? Those fancy features will be more of a headache as the car ages. I think if people get used to these kind of safety features, it could be more dangerous.

Since when did Honda start to put these unproven tech in their cars? Reminds me of 20 years ago, when domestic cars got beaten by Japanese cars in terms of reliablity. Japanese makers are very slow to adopt new tech, while domestic cars keep putting new features in. Irony..

2007 Accord EX-L V6 @155K Alabaster Silver
2016 Audi Q5 3.0T Premium Plus w/Tech Pkg @12K
Previously:
2005 Honda Accord Hybrid ([email protected])
1989 Honda Accord DX ([email protected])
1985 Honda Accord ([email protected])
post #3 of 210 Old 01-24-2018, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

Dang. That is scary stuff.

I had a similar experience with the Honda sensing going crazy but it didn't apply sudden brakes. I was driving down a highway and all the sudden my parking sensors went off, so I turned off parking sensors, but when I toggled the sensors back on it went haywire again. Subsequently, at the next exit I pulled over and restarted the car and toggled the parking sensors back on and haven't had a problem since. My car is at 1200 miles and the incident probably happened around 500-600 mark.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Advertisement

post #4 of 210 Old 01-24-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

I was wrong... I had it set to normal. Original post edited.

2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0
Birmingham, AL
post #5 of 210 Old 01-24-2018, 04:21 PM
REV29K

We've had the same sensing suite on our CR-V for almost a year now, I had zero issues with it. If I did and it abruptly started to brake, all you need to do is tap the accelerator and it will go back to normal. Don't freak out about it, learn to work with the system rather than thinking it's failing in some way.

2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
2017 CR-V Touring
2002 S2000
post #6 of 210 Old 01-24-2018, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

Do you think it actually saw something?
I had this happen to me on a curved street that the system picked up a car on. Braked for a second. No biggie.
Maybe a rabbit crossed the road and you didn't see it?
post #7 of 210 Old 01-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Gearless

Thanks for this. This is exactly why I'm hesitant to move to a 10th Gen. I don't want to be a Guinea Pig on these safety features. Yet it is standard on all trims! At least you can turn it off. Although unexpected braking from Honda is preferable to unexpected acceleration from Toyota Are you sure there wasn't a snail on the road??
slimm1469 likes this.

2013 Accord Sedan LX CVT
post #8 of 210 Old 01-24-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmta View Post
Do you think it actually saw something?
I had this happen to me on a curved street that the system picked up a car on. Braked for a second. No biggie.
Maybe a rabbit crossed the road and you didn't see it?
I've been thinking about this and there was bunch of emergency vehicles to the far right lanes. This is like a 6 lane highway and they all had their lights on. I was to the far left in a double turn lane... I don't know why it would pick up that but I guess it is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2k_Dude View Post
We've had the same sensing suite on our CR-V for almost a year now, I had zero issues with it. If I did and it abruptly started to brake, all you need to do is tap the accelerator and it will go back to normal. Don't freak out about it, learn to work with the system rather than thinking it's failing in some way.
Well... Um.. First off I love this car... I mean it is almost unhealthy how much I love it. So I'm not giving up on the car.

I am not freaking out. I'm just telling you guys the truth. Imagine, if you will, you are traveling down the road behind the lead car (me) on a 60 mph and I all of the sudden stop for absolutely no reason. Well that's what I did... Luckily no one was behind me. Traffic was clear. Don't you think that is a little cause for concern?

SnowWhite2018 likes this.

Birmingham, AL

Last edited by RickBlaine; 01-24-2018 at 05:01 PM. Reason: DAS MERGE! TWO POSTS BECOME ONE! MULTI-QUOTE FEATURE IS OUR FRIEND!
post #9 of 210 Old 01-24-2018, 07:17 PM
4th Gear

I agree with the OP. It is cause for concern. My wife drives our Accord during the week and if sudden violent braking ever happens to her, it will scare the heck out of her.

However I wonít want to disable it, at least not long term. The safety benefits of this feature are too great to ignore. I love how this car has all these sensors to keep the driver out of trouble. Weíve never had anything like it before.

I would say if it happens once in a great while, itís a false reading and you may have to live with it as a slight imperfection in the system. If it happens somewhat often, your system is probably faulty in some way and needs to be checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cavenger likes this.

2018 Honda Accord 2.0 Touring 10 AT
Build Date 11/2017
post #10 of 210 Old 01-25-2018, 03:28 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
I've been thinking about this and there was bunch of emergency vehicles to the far right lanes. This is like a 6 lane highway and they all had their lights on. I was to the far left in a double turn lane... I don't know why it would pick up that but I guess it is possible.

Well... Um.. First off I love this car... I mean it is almost unhealthy how much I love it. So I'm not giving up on the car.

I am not freaking out. I'm just telling you guys the truth. Imagine, if you will, you are traveling down the road behind the lead car (me) on a 60 mph and I all of the sudden stop for absolutely no reason. Well that's what I did... Luckily no one was behind me. Traffic was clear. Don't you think that is a little cause for concern?

What did your dealers service department say?
post #11 of 210 Old 01-25-2018, 03:46 AM
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
I was wrong... I had it set to normal. Original post edited.

Your original post has not been edited.

2017 EX-L V6. WOP. 28% Solarguard. Thinkware F50 Dashcam. Otherwise, Bone stock.
There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over.
post #12 of 210 Old 01-25-2018, 03:48 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I will never buy a car that has this installed with no way to permanently disable it. It might actually work as intended at some point in time, but with any risk of it wrecking the car or hurting me, I think I'll just use my eyes and wits like I have been. Like, if this was the first time it happened and the system hasn't activated when actually necessary, then right now it has a greater ratio of causing an accident than preventing one.

Anti-lock brakes, seat belts and airbags, when functioning properly and are giving no indicators that they could malfunction otherwise, don't randomly activate and bring the car to a stop or pick up on "false positives". I just don't trust it. Not in my car.

This is exactly the issue I brought up when this feature was first announced, and it has happened time and time again as evidenced on this forum...
slimm1469 and VFR4Lee like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 166K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Honda Prelude Si Coupe 2.0 B20A5 4WS 97k Granada Black Pearl

(Click a name to go to its respective thread)
post #13 of 210 Old 01-25-2018, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowcat View Post
Your original post has not been edited.
Weird... I don't show the comment about having it set to being more sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmatter View Post
What did your dealers service department say?
I haven't taken it in. Again, not freaking out.

Birmingham, AL

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-31-2018 at 06:14 AM. Reason: merge
post #14 of 210 Old 01-25-2018, 04:47 AM
REV29K

If it's failing in "every single way," then the OP should take the car back to Honda and demand his money back. Obviously the system has not been tested, is not reliable, and is a serious danger to everyone in the vehicle and those around them. LOL.

I'm just saying, the system might have a false alarm once in a while and the driver should know what they need to do to counter the behavior. If the driver doesn't intervene, the vehicle will come to a complete stop as it must be detecting something in its path, however, an alert driver will be able to just touch the gas pedal and simply correct the problem.

Honda gives owners the ability to turn all the systems off they the driver doesn't want them. Those that don't want to embrace new technology can certainly purchase an older car that doesn't have any of the latest safety features or simply turn them off, however, like airbags and ABS, most all new cars will have these features going forward.

2017 CR-V Touring
2002 S2000
post #15 of 210 Old 01-25-2018, 05:24 AM
REV29K

Obviously, I am more accepting of the technology than you are. The sensing system might have a false alarm once in a while, no sensing system is perfect. If the driver is alert, it's not an issue. As you said, in the Northern states, the radar sensor will get covered with snow and ice and quit working, again, not an issue if the driver knows what's happening. If the driver is concerned they vehicle might brake unexpectedly in the winter, just turn CMBS off.

I'm just trying to educate others in that, if the system does react strangely, don't panic, there is something the driver can do to remedy the problem.

Sure, if you think the system is not working correctly, turn it off, schedule an appointment with the dealer and have it checked. However, I'm 99% sure they won't find a problem.

The news just posted another crash involving a Tesla Model S. The car, while on AutoPilot, drove into the back of a fire truck that was parked in the road. Luckily nobody was injured. It's another case of drivers depending too much on the safety system. It's only there to help the driver, if the system behaves unexpectedly, the driver should be there to correct. In the case of the Tesla, obviously the driver wasn't paying attention and allowed the crash to occur.

Nobody should rely on the systems to drive or even brake the car for them, they need to be aware of what's going on and if the vehicle reacts in a way that is unnecessary, the driver should take control.

2017 CR-V Touring
2002 S2000
Advertisement

Tags
accord, automatic brake, honda sensing, lawsuit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in