Windshield Replacement - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old 02-11-2018, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Unhappy Windshield Replacement

Hey everyone, I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else with a brand new car, but with less than 500miles on my new car, I have to get a windshield replacement, since the crack propagating is an inch longer than a dollar bill. I've looked in the previous generation forums, but figured I could start something here in the 10th generation forums for future reference.

I was unfortunate enough that a piece of debris hit my windshield yesterday... I was being passed by a truck so I wasn't even going that fast... like around 50mph, and it struck in the location of the lower passenger after I heard a noise hit. I have insurance from Geico, and they usually source work with Safelite in my state, but because this happened on the weekend, will have to wait until the next business day on Monday.

If anyone can please chime in to ease my stress, it would be greatly appreciated. I've had work done with Safelite in my past cars and the location here does excellent work. I am more concerned about the electronics. I've seen the disassembly of the housing for the camera and the rain sensor and it doesn't look too invasive, but at this point am not sure if I should go with OEM route windshield or not.

According to Safelite's website, the car is too new to even get a quote and so the 2018 Accord windshields are not even in their database. Will see how this plays out, but on my Accord, it's manufactured by AGC and hopefully it doesn't take too long for replacements to come in.

So my main question is this, due to the amount of OEM vs non-OEM replacements, I've been reading incompatibilities with past systems not working with non-OEM windshield replacements. In my mind, I think it's due to camera calibration issues, so after it is replaced, I will definitely have to take to the dealership to see what they can do for this process. Alternatively, I'm also thinking of maybe having the work done by the Honda Collision center here, and maybe they'll give me a loaner and also take care of the calibration in process, but am not sure of the quality of their work. Thoughts?

Stay safe out there!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180210_150244496.jpg
Views:	1763
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	457906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180211_074957806.jpg
Views:	1698
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	457922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180211_074930604.jpg
Views:	1659
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	457930  
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 02-11-2018, 04:32 AM
1st Gear

Wow thatís crazy. Such bad luck! Have you called your insurance company yet? They do a lot with windshields.

post #3 of 64 Old 02-11-2018, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheRed View Post
Wow that’s crazy. Such bad luck! Have you called your insurance company yet? They do a lot with windshields.
Yes it is, it's unfortunate but I'm not complaining, as anything could be a lot worse. I've already called Geico, and the claim is already in the process, they have to do a follow-up with me on Monday since everything is basically closed on the weekend. At this point, I'm leaning heavily on an OEM windshield. With the car being so new, I would have to think that 3rd-party/aftermarket glass are not available yet, but who knows...

I'm calling both Safelite and my local Honda Service/Collision center early on Monday to see what potential quotes are.
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 02-11-2018, 04:40 AM
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T

I feel your pain !!!! On Feb 1 I was following a tractor trailer and it kicked up a stone and hit my windshield in almost the same spot as yours. Safelite had no listing, so I went to my dealer. They don't do glass themselves, but they told me where to go and to make sure that original OEM Honda glass was going used. Otherwise, they said they would be unable to calibrate the camera that is used for LKAS and ACC and other safety features. So I had the windshield replaced and then took my car to the dealer and had the camera recalibrated. The place that replaced the glass charged my insurance company $1004, which included $800 for the Honda windshield, (but I think they actually paid about $550 to the dealer). Then it cost me $126 to have the camera recalibrated which is also covered by insurance. BTW, my car is a Sport 2.0T, so it doesn't have the rain sensing or HUD features. I'm not sure how much extra that windshield would cost.

2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 10-speed San Moreno Red
The Following User Says Thank You to TCFenton1 For This Useful Post:
ObsidianBlu2T (02-11-2018)
post #5 of 64 Old 02-11-2018, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCFenton1 View Post
I feel your pain !!!! On Feb 1 I was following a tractor trailer and it kicked up a stone and hit my windshield in almost the same spot as yours. Safelite had no listing, so I went to my dealer. They don't do glass themselves, but they told me where to go and to make sure that original OEM Honda glass was going used. Otherwise, they said they would be unable to calibrate the camera that is used for LKAS and ACC and other safety features. So I had the windshield replaced and then took my car to the dealer and had the camera recalibrated. The place that replaced the glass charged my insurance company $1004, which included $800 for the Honda windshield, (but I think they actually paid about $550 to the dealer). Then it cost me $126 to have the camera recalibrated which is also covered by insurance. BTW, my car is a Sport 2.0T, so it doesn't have the rain sensing or HUD features. I'm not sure how much extra that windshield would cost.
Thanks for the detailed info and pricing! Sorry that happened. Do you notice any other issues with noise, wind, etc... or the LKAS and ACC after you had it replaced?

I'm pretty sure that my dealership will outsource the windshield replacement work as well. There's this bulletin for others who want the reference, although I couldn't find anything more recent:

Honda-cautions-that-new-driver-assistsafety-systems-require-oe-parts-replacement
herosemblem likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ObsidianBlu2T For This Useful Post:
herosemblem (06-09-2018)
post #6 of 64 Old 02-11-2018, 04:49 AM
Reverse Gear

This may vary from state to state, but when I had a claim with Geico, they told me that as long as my car was 2 years old or less, I was allowed to choose Honda Replacement glass. My claim was many years ago and their policies may have changed so let us know what you find.

2007 Accord LX-SE 4d 5spd MT Graphite Pearl (sold at 161k)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT Crystal Black Pearl/Ivory (His)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT White Orchid Pearl/Ivory (Hers)

Previous Rides
1993 Buick Regal 3.8
1992 Acura Legend LS 4D 5MT
1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4AT
1986 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT
1981 Saab 900 Turbo 4D 3AT "The money pit" $5K+ in repairs in 2 years
1976 Volvo 242DL 3AT "The Vault"
1976 Toyota Corona 4D 3AT "The Oven" black vinyl interior and no A/C
The Following User Says Thank You to BenzAccord For This Useful Post:
herosemblem (06-09-2018)
post #7 of 64 Old 02-11-2018, 04:57 AM
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianBlu2T View Post
Thanks for the detailed info and pricing! Sorry that happened. Do you notice any other issues with noise, wind, etc... or the LKAS and ACC after you had it replaced?

I'm pretty sure that my dealership will outsource the windshield replacement work as well. There's this bulletin for others who want the reference, although I couldn't find anything more recent:

Honda-cautions-that-new-driver-assistsafety-systems-require-oe-parts-replacement
No, no issues with anything after the windshield replacement. The place that replaced the glass also replaced the upper and lower windshield moldings, which cost about $60 and also was covered by insurance. After replacing the windshield, the ACC and LKAS still kinda worked, but not 100% until after the camera was recalibrated.

herosemblem (06-09-2018)
post #8 of 64 Old 02-11-2018, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzAccord View Post
This may vary from state to state, but when I had a claim with Geico, they told me that as long as my car was 2 years old or less, I was allowed to choose Honda Replacement glass. My claim was many years ago and their policies may have changed so let us know what you find.
I will definitely keep track of the paper trail and quotes and report back here. Hopefully the physical replacements can be obtained within next week.

Quote:
No, no issues with anything after the windshield replacement. The place that replaced the glass also replaced the upper and lower windshield moldings, which cost about $60 and also was covered by insurance. After replacing the windshield, the ACC and LKAS still kinda worked, but not 100% until after the camera was recalibrated.
That's good to know, yeah I had a feeling things would have to be recalibrated since there are inevitable variances in camera positions with the new windshield install. Any clue how long that calibration took at your dealership? Thanks!
post #9 of 64 Old 02-11-2018, 05:12 AM
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianBlu2T View Post
I will definitely keep track of the paper trail and quotes and report back here. Hopefully the physical replacements can be obtained within next week.

That's good to know, yeah I had a feeling things would have to be recalibrated since there are inevitable variances in camera positions with the new windshield install. Any clue how long that calibration took at your dealership? Thanks!
The camera recalibration only took about one hour, but I got the impression that they have done it many times. Other dealers may have much less expierience doing this task. My brother works as a mechanic at a small Honda dealership in Virginia, and he told me that they have never had to do a camera realignment (yet).

herosemblem (06-09-2018)
post #10 of 64 Old 02-11-2018, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
The camera recalibration only took about one hour, but I got the impression that they have done it many times. Other dealers may have much less expierience doing this task. My brother works as a mechanic at a small Honda dealership in Virginia, and he told me that they have never had to do a camera realignment (yet).
Thanks, that makes sense. Ever since I got my car in the middle of January, I haven't seen ANY 2018 Accords in my area, so maybe I might be the first, but I had some stuff done with my local service department and they are pretty good so far. Will see what happens.
post #11 of 64 Old 02-11-2018, 06:16 AM
2013 Accord V6-6MT

Here is my experience with windshield replacement FWIW.......

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/6062761-post12.html

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graycar For This Useful Post:
herosemblem (06-09-2018), ObsidianBlu2T (02-11-2018)
post #12 of 64 Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycar View Post
Here is my experience with windshield replacement FWIW.......

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/6062761-post12.html
Thanks! It was actually reading your posts from yesterday that is making me double check everything from both sides and also going with the dealer, I'm very OCD as well, so hopefully everything from all parties will do a good job.
post #13 of 64 Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

This just happen to me also. :-(

I was coming to a stop at about 25 MPH when the car in front of me happen to pick up a small rock and BAM!!!!!!!
seem that the glass of the 10th gen is more prone to damage.
I been hit in my 9th gen and hit HARD yet never exhibited any damage - don't get me wrong do see the very small mark size of a tip of a pen but that's it.

Here is a picture of my windshield damage and it grew about 3 inches every day till i got it replaced.
As you can see it is very similar to others here.

I have to share here in SoCal my cost was a bit more. (Repairs were done at Honda with Honda parts - but not labor)

Windshield
Molding
Clips & Seals
Calibration
Labor (outsourced)

Total = $1382.90
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6041.JPG
Views:	999
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	459010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6211.JPG
Views:	966
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	459018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6230.JPG
Views:	967
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	459026  
The Following User Says Thank You to 332rick For This Useful Post:
ObsidianBlu2T (02-15-2018)
post #14 of 64 Old 02-14-2018, 05:01 PM
3rd Gear

Definitely get the OEM replacement for the 2.0 Touring. I have Geico as well. I have had windshields replaced in the past and have always requested OEM. The touring models have to many gadgets that rely on the windshield and this is the only way to go. Not sure if you have to pay anything or not but in Florida windshield replacements through insurance are free and non deductible.
post #15 of 64 Old 02-15-2018, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
The camera recalibration only took about one hour, but I got the impression that they have done it many times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 332rick View Post
This just happen to me also. :-(
Sorry to see that happen to you 332rick, and your impact happened at a much less speed than mine! And thanks for sharing the pic of the windshield with the serial, what model is your Accord? That's crazy... I do think that the edges are especially fragile for our 2018 Accords... Never had this happen on any of my older vehicles even on the edges, oh well. So both TCFenton1 and 332rick, about how long did you guys have to wait until the OEM windshield arrived, after talking to your insurance or third-party in terms of ordering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPI007 View Post
Definitely get the OEM replacement for the 2.0 Touring. I have Geico as well.
I'm definitely getting the OEM replacement, and I don't even think it's possible at this early point in time for companies to do a third-party glass replacement, so that's kind of a relief. I can't edit the OP, but here's an update on my situation so far:

2/12/2018: In my state since I have comprehensive coverage, nothing should come out of my pocket, including camera recalibration as I have checked with Geico. I also called Honda and they outsource the labor in terms of the windshield replacement, so the dealership gave me the contact info for First Choice Auto Glass (FCAG). I called FCAG and with Geico on the line, and they got my VIN of the car as well but I stressed on OEM replacement. FCAG said they would call me back to confirm, but it's not the end of the week yet, so I'm assuming they have already put in the order for the windshield. Will see what the status is tomorrow on Friday.

As I suspected, the different model windshields will have different serials. I told them to basically order TVA-A3 (Touring Models). Thanks to 332rick, otherwise I wouldn't have known for certain that different windshields display a different serial number.

So here's what we have so far in terms of OEM Windshields:
  • TVA-A1 - has the camera, and ?
  • TVA-A2 - no confirmation from anyone yet, has the camera, and ?
  • TVA-A3 - Touring, has the camera and rain sensor

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in