Noise when going from a stop - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 10-12-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Noise when going from a stop

When I take off from a stop i can hear a noise but not all the time. I would compare it to if you knocked coconuts together or maybe a horse hoof walking on pavement. I know that sounds strange but that is the exact sound. It seems like my defroster is on most of the time when it does it but I’m not sure. Any ideas?

Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-12-2018, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack5684 View Post
When I take off from a stop i can hear a noise but not all the time. I would compare it to if you knocked coconuts together or maybe a horse hoof walking on pavement. I know that sounds strange but that is the exact sound. It seems like my defroster is on most of the time when it does it but Iím not sure. Any ideas?
Does it sound like it is coming from your brake pedal?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	445670_v1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	494011  

2018 Accord Sport 2.0 6MT- San Marino
2012 Odyssey Touring Elite
2011 4Runner Limited (Lifted and stuff)
2002 S2000 - Sebring Silver
post #3 of 26 Old 10-12-2018, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Doesnít sound like the brakes. Happens when accelerating from a stop at low speed but not all the time

I have a video that you can upload where you canít hear it but I donít know how to upload it

Last edited by namegoeshere; 10-14-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: merge
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 10-14-2018, 07:26 PM
My First Post

I know exactly what you are referring to. Depending on the speed the frequency of the knock also changes. I have brought my car back to the dealship two times and wasted so much time and they couldn't reproduce the problem. At the end i just gave up. 2.0T accord.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-15-2018, 10:50 AM
3rd Gear

Is it possibly an ABS-system check? Some cars do a check of the ABS system upon their first acceleration from rest after starting the car. It can sound like a quick "thunk" or clunk sound - just one time, and only at the first moving away from rest (in drive, not reverse). You don't sense it in the brake pedal, though....

2018 Accord Hybrid Touring
White Orchid Pearl with Ivory interior
post #6 of 26 Old 10-15-2018, 12:20 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTotalAccord View Post
Is it possibly an ABS-system check? Some cars do a check of the ABS system upon their first acceleration from rest after starting the car. It can sound like a quick "thunk" or clunk sound - just one time, and only at the first moving away from rest (in drive, not reverse). You don't sense it in the brake pedal, though....
I'm glad you mentioned this, as I have noticed this the last several times after starting out after backing out of driveway and wasn't sure if I had a potential issue.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-20-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Mine is not when braking ever. I managed to record the sound with my phone one morning. It hasn’t done it in about a week, but now I have a new whistle coming from the drivers side view mirror but to stay on topic. If I were to throw out a guess I would say it was something involving the drive shaft. It can’t be felt in either pedal. If anyone does figure out what it is I would love to knw
post #8 of 26 Old 10-22-2018, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about as well. You described it very well. Have the same issue, and also have recordings/video. I took it into the dealer today, they are keeping overnight as they were not able to duplicate the noise. So frustrating, $30k car that is all of 2 months old...

Accord 2.0t
post #9 of 26 Old 10-23-2018, 03:51 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I don't have much to back it up, but it could be the CV axle/joint. Does it make the sound when turning the wheel?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 167K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Honda Prelude Si Coupe 2.0 B20A5 4WS 99k Granada Black Pearl
*ALMOST AT 100K MILES!*

(Click a name to go to its respective thread)
post #10 of 26 Old 10-23-2018, 05:50 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
I don't have much to back it up, but it could be the CV axle/joint. Does it make the sound when turning the wheel?
No, not in my case. It occurs as the OP describes, when pulling away from a stop, but not all the time. A hollow knocking type sound that sounds like it's coming from the dashboard area.
post #11 of 26 Old 10-25-2018, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

My 2018 1.5l EXL makes this noise. I had my dealer check it out. They say they heard the noise, but did not know what it is. They said it was probably normal, but that I should monitor it.
post #12 of 26 Old 10-25-2018, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

Update on my dealer trip. They had my car for two days, had 3 different people road test it, advised they could not hear or duplicate the noise. Advised they also called Honda whom advised not a known issue, no SBs on. Of course the next day, I heard the noise readily, 6 blocks into my morning commute, and have heard multiple times since then...

I have bought 10 Hondas over the last 25+ years, with this 2018 EXL 2.0t being my 7th Accord. Absolutely loved the car until this very annoying issue arose. So frustrating, so disappointed.
post #13 of 26 Old 10-31-2018, 04:29 AM
2018 Honda Accord Touring

I am getting the same noise, from a stop. It always sounds like I can open the cover where the wireless charger is and I'll see something. I hope someone will figure this out.
post #14 of 26 Old 12-03-2018, 05:59 AM
1st Gear

Anyone found a resolution to this issue?

Thanks.
post #15 of 26 Old 12-03-2018, 08:57 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bataltab1 View Post
They said it was probably normal, but that I should monitor it.
That's Honda's new motto when it comes to legitimate concern that their customers bring forth in an effort to find remedy, "It's totally normal" lol
I laugh because they do it to me too. I had a problem with my seat making a weird popping noise when sitting on it and they service manager had the audacity to say "that's the way the seat was engineered" so my reply was, "the seat was engineered to make popping noises?????" lol. And I still have this ongoing battle with Honda regarding my brakes.

2018 Honda Accord 2.0T AT Still Night Pearl Sport
2000 Honda Civic Si Electron Blue Pearl
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in