Curious your learning curve on the electronics and what you use - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 12-21-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
New EX Owner

Curious your learning curve on the electronics and what you use

I was just thinking about the learning curve and getting used to the new infotainment system and electronics vs the 2017 and its features.

I am a total gadget geek. I work out of my car all day, so I typically take the time up front to get as proficient as possible on using everything in the car so Iím not learning on the fly. Intuitive to me is not necessarily intuitive to others like for instance my 78 year old father who doesnít even have an email address.

When I was talking to the GM at the dealership about the problems I was having with the 2017, he said most people do not use or even attempt to learn many of these features on their system. So some issues may not appear as widespread.

So I am curious, how do you use your infotainment system? Do you use your Android Play or CarPlay? Did you activate Sirius/XM? Did you take the time to learn the system, or do you just use the radio?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 12-21-2018, 01:03 PM
3rd Gear

Right off the bat, we don't use Sirius XM, have never used it on any car we've owned that had it. I prefer my own programming.
Like the HUD very much.
We use CarPlay, most of the time it's doing double duty replacing the Sirius XM for music and running Waze.
We use the adaptive cruise control and lane keeping, which are useful within their limitations.
We very much like such B&W as the memory seats, since we are of considerable difference in height.
We like the polarized mirrors.
We use the auto wipers.
We like the auto / walk away door locks.
The three driving modes (our Touring has regular, econ, & sport) are kind of neat, but after trying them all out, not sure how much we'll use anything but the econ.
Wish the auto headlights were gone...but I just learned how to disable them, so that's taken care of.
After living with this car for about six months, I can also say that I also really appreciate the level of control over these systems, and how logically the control system is arranged.
There may be some others I've forgotten, but there are so many.....

NoWin likes this.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
_
2018 Accord 2.0T Touring / 2004 SAAB 9-5 Sportwagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 Old 12-21-2018, 05:14 PM
Retired from Car Biz....

Every new car I get, I get a few of my favorite beverages , the owners manual and if I can download the shop manual off one of the forums, I do that too. Then I go out and sit in the car with the car either started or on ACC depending, and start punching buttons and looking stuff up. I may not want to use the feature but I want to know what it does. In addition I fill up a couple 1L Coca-Cola bottles with water, and go to a parking lot To learn the spatial relationship between the car and the coke bottle simulating a curb. It also helps to use a Coke bottle to actually nail down how the rear camera works and how far away you are from obstacles.

I don't like buying stuff and having features that I don't know what they do.
and_youf and NoWin like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My DD:'18 Honda HR-V EX-L
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 12-21-2018, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

I downloaded the PDF manual before I even bought the car because I wanted to know all the features on each trim level before deciding which one to buy. I ended up with an EX-L 1.5 and love it. I consider myself a gadget geek too, but there were so many new features on this car (from my '09 CR-V EX-L) that it really took me a few months to learn how to use them or realize some of them even existed. Although I had looked through the manual, it's so big that it's hard to really memorize all the little details! I use Sirius but mostly listen to music on the USB (which I love!). I use CarPlay for longer trips, when I need the map or when I want to listen to music the Amazon Music app. When I bought the car, I went through all settings and customized a lot of features (like how long the lights stay on after turning off the car, auto lock, etc.) I really appreciate everything that can be customized and all the features that this car has. The "brake hold" feature is one of my favorites and I would definitely miss that.
NoWin likes this.
post #5 of 39 Old 12-22-2018, 05:36 AM
3rd Gear

Garage
Cool

After 4600 miles I've pretty well decided what I like to use. I've had my arm amputated and rods in my neck so somethings are of more benefit to me than others.
Love the rain sensing wipers, lights on when raining, auto headlights with fogs, auto high beams, auto climate control, memory seat, heated and cooled seats, heads-up display, brake hold, auto walk away lock and unlock, navigation, wireless phone charger, and backup camera.
I like LKAS on long trips but doesn't work very well on roads with tar strips, so it's mostly off.
I like ACC but is too glitchy, so it is set to regular cruise.
I like XM comedy stations.
I like Hondalink for the remote start and sending navigation destinations to the car.
CMBS is off.
I have no use of car play or android auto.

2018 Accord 2.0t 10 AT Touring
post #6 of 39 Old 12-22-2018, 06:34 AM
3rd Gear

Garage
I like and use virtually ALL the tech in my '18 Hybrid Touring except for the Walk-Away Auto Lock.

It seemed like a great idea when I first got the car. I had it turned ON until the second time I found myself needing to get into the car for some reason while it was parked in my garage and discovered that I'd left the key in the other side of the house.

Now if the system had an option to disable auto-lock when the car knows it's parked in the garage at home--that would REALLY be awesome...

And I'm with glen e on reading the owners manual and punching buttons while parked to see what happens. I've read the BIG owners manual from cover-to-cover (except for all the legal warnings) and still learn something new almost every time I drive the car.

I'm gonna have to try the trick of using bottles to calibrate the parking sensors, because I continue to chicken out when approaching a curb a little sooner than I should.

2018 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
2014 Ford Focus ST
2007 Honda S2000
1978 Datsun 280Z
post #7 of 39 Old 12-22-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
New EX Owner

If this thread is doing something, itís reaffirming that what I do while learning about my new car isnít nuts lol.

I put it out there asking you all, but didnít add in the features I use as well.

On infotainment, I use everything. I subscribe to Sirius/XM, and the 10th gen brought back a lot of the customizations and alerts I thought were long gone from cars like shows and episodes.

I use every feature CarPlay offers. The maps are great, I love that I could tell Siri to take me home, take me to work, or take me to someone in my contacts list. Same with restaurants in the area. I use Podcasts, Audio books, and have had full conversations using Siri with Messages with my eyes never leaving the road, and the texts going through exactly as I say them. The phone audio is crystal clear.

HD radio sounds excellent and seems to be more stabile in this car than the 9th gen. I love the added stations to stations Iíve listened to for years.

Sensing has been a true test in faith as I explore it. Stuck in traffic this week, I tried the ACC with my foot REAL close to that brake pedal. I was completely blown away when it came to a full stop, and then accelerated by itself. This a great way for me to move the seat back and take a nap while going over the George Washington Bridge <just kidding of course> but it totally helps me relax my legs into different positions for a second when I get uncomfortable.

The sensor for the sides when Iím backing up is handy as my neighbor has kids that donít pay attention so I always pay extra while backing up, every extra sensor helps.

I use the lane assist features, and have a special appreciation for Sensing as a whole for others on the road around me. As dangerous as it is made clear, I always see people texting while driving. Last year my car was totaled by someone behind me texting. If people are going to insist on doing this, at least it will possibly save others a lot of grief if the car is taking control while these dimwits arenít paying attention.

I like that the car locks the doors when I walk away, my 9th gen didnít always lock when I pressed the lock button, and oddly sometimes I would accidentally unlock the car with the remote in my pocket. I donít wear skinny jeans btw.

One special feature I really enjoy is that brake hold button. Another Godsend when in traffic.

The HD Tach that can change information is used often. Good to have when Iím listening to Sirius\XM while CarPlay, I can see the station.

I also like the customization of the buttons so I could add Settings, Sirius/XM, and CarPlay on the top dock of the home screen.

The one and only quirk is the clock location changing on the infotainment between CarPlay and the system. I also wish HUD was an add on option on the EXL.

Appreciate the thoughtful responses, keep em coming. Iím confident one of us will learn something new.

One last thing, do a youtube search on electronic parking brake. A reviewer tested it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 39 Old 12-22-2018, 09:19 AM
2018 Touring 1.5

I am on the older side (70) but use most of the technology the car offers. I also downloaded the PDF Manual on my phone and laptop. The most used are:

HUD, Ventilated seats, ACC, LKAS, BSM Nav system or Andriod Auto and auto lock/unlock. My Camaro has a neat feature where if you have an address in your contacts on your phone it is uploaded with the name and phone # and all you have to do is go to contacts on the Head unit and tap on the address and the NAV system takes you there. Wish the Honda had that but I just plug in the phone and use Android Auto and Google maps. I may not be typical as I retired from and IT position of Software Development Management. I love the tech stuff and I learned a lot from forum members.

Now my wife is a different story. She doesn't like much tech but does like ACC a lot and hands free phone. She also uses auto brake when the car stops which I do not. We both like the memory seats as well. I don't think she has ever used Andriod Auto and neither of use care for the charging pad.
and_youf likes this.

2018 Accord Touring 1.5 CVT
2017 Camaro SS Fifty Convertible A8
post #9 of 39 Old 12-23-2018, 03:45 AM
1st Gear

its easier to list what I don't use/like
-Auto high beams - I cant figure out what the hell its trying to do at times, gave up on it after a week.
-backup camera - one drive and the camera and back of the car in general are covered in dirt/snow, I don't even bother to wipe it off anymore
-CMBS - seems too sensitive when driving in tight traffic.
-Digital Tach - Hate it, wish it was real, or at lest let me disable messages/audio etc from showing in the middle of it.
post #10 of 39 Old 12-26-2018, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Garage
I've had the 2018 Touring for 3 months and in that time the Infotainment system reboot on me maybe 8 times but other than that it has been fine. The iPod integration is ok but it is very finicky and slow about displaying the playlists/albums/artists/genre so I often use the screen on my iPod to start the playlist or genre I want. I don't put music on my phone leaving the memory for apps audio books and pictures. Most of the time however I use Bluetooth from my iPhone to play audio books from audible. I played with CarPlay a few times but it really doesn't offer much that I need since I have the Nav built in which I love that I can send my destination before even getting in the car (I just wish the Nav system would pause or quiet any other audio source when telling you to turn in 200 feet or whatever). The Bluetooth connection works for playing my audio books fine the only thing CarPlay would offer that would be nice would be the ability to choose my next audio book when one finishes but most of the time this happens on my short trips between work and home when I don't bother getting my phone out and pluggin it in anyway. If CarPlay worked via BlueTooth I would most likely use it for Audible at least. I activated the XM radio during the trial period but didn't use it much at all so did not renew. I activated the AT&T HotSpot for access from our iPads during a trip this fall and have renewed that service for $20/month so far since I ran out of the 3Gig free after a month, however I may disable that service for the winter since we don't do as many long trips in the winter although I do have an Echo Dot in the QI charging cubbyhole which connects via the AT&T HotSpot but I haven't been using that much either. I renewed the Honda Link Remote service since I use that every night from my office to start the car in the parking ramp while I walk down there and I've been using it at restaurants to get the car warm while we are paying the bill too (the remote control usually doesn't have enough range). I use FM (mostly with HD radio stations) occasionally.

Most longer drives I use all of the safety and convenience options. I've had it brake twice for no reason, neither time very hard or long so no accident with anyone behind us luckily. Also occasionally we don't agree on where in the lane is optimal usually in road construction when it wants me closer to the temporary cones in the middle that I'm comfortable with. And the Adaptive Cruse Control is great most of the time but you have to pay attention all the time as it will speed up on sharp corners when it thinks your lane is clear. But I do like most of the features including the auto headlights and auto wipers, although my wife usually wants the wipers going a little faster than the auto setting does when she's driving.
post #11 of 39 Old 12-26-2018, 02:58 PM
4th Gear

When you say iPod integration do you mean an actual iPod? I wasn't even aware Apple made those anymore LOL. Maybe the system doesn't support iPods very well since most people use an iPhone or Android for their music? I've found carplay to work very well with the music stored on my iPhone.

2012 Civic Si - Sold
2019 Lunar Silver Accord Sport 2.0 A/T
post #12 of 39 Old 12-27-2018, 06:55 AM
1st Gear

Garage
It's an iPod Touch current gen running iOS 12.1 (same as my phone) I have over 100GB of music on it. Maybe I'll try putting the music on my phone some time since I recently got a 256GB model and have 200+ free at the moment. I wanted to just leave the iPod in the glove box connected all the time rather than having to hook up my phone each time I got in the car.
and_youf likes this.
post #13 of 39 Old 12-27-2018, 07:06 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundayt View Post
I like and use virtually ALL the tech in my '18 Hybrid Touring except for the Walk-Away Auto Lock.

It seemed like a great idea when I first got the car. I had it turned ON until the second time I found myself needing to get into the car for some reason while it was parked in my garage and discovered that I'd left the key in the other side of the house.

Now if the system had an option to disable auto-lock when the car knows it's parked in the garage at home--that would REALLY be awesome...

And I'm with glen e on reading the owners manual and punching buttons while parked to see what happens. I've read the BIG owners manual from cover-to-cover (except for all the legal warnings) and still learn something new almost every time I drive the car.

I'm gonna have to try the trick of using bottles to calibrate the parking sensors, because I continue to chicken out when approaching a curb a little sooner than I should.
My wife leaves the key in her Pilot when in the garage and throws in her purse when she gets to work...me, I just let it lock and keep the key inside...only downside is if someone got the garage door open, they have a free car, but if they get in my garage, I have other issues

Current:
2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T
2017 Honda Pilot EXL AWD w/ Sensing

Previous:
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
2016 Honda Crv AWD EXL
2006 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Navi I4
2013 Honda Ridgeline RTL Navi (Wife's)
2003 Mercedes ML500
2007 Pontiac Torrent (Wife's)
1994 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
1992 Mercedes 300SE
1988 Mercedes E260
post #14 of 39 Old 12-27-2018, 04:15 PM
3rd Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson03 View Post
...but if they get in my garage, I have other issues
A few .45 ACP rounds should take care of those other issues...

But seriously (not that that wasn't), I read somewhere that you shouldn't store the key fob near enough to the vehicle for them to communicate, because it can drain the fob battery or something like that.

When I wash either of my cars that have keyless entry and start, I back them out of the garage into the driveway and then put the fobs inside the house, because if I leave them in my pocket, the locks have conniptions whenever I'm sponging or drying the doors, locking and unlocking with staccato clicks like random machine gun fire depending on where my hands are. It makes me crazy(er).

It's all good.

2018 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
2014 Ford Focus ST
2007 Honda S2000
1978 Datsun 280Z
post #15 of 39 Old 12-27-2018, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

Sirius/XM Song & Artist display

Those of you who have Sirius/XM on their Gen 10: Have they upgraded the display to not truncate the name of the song or the singers at 16 characters? This has been such an annoying oversight on Honda's part (I have a 2014). I know Sirius/XM transmits the full titles because I have seen them on other cars.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in