Annoying rattle. Occurs at highway speeds excess of 55 mph - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Annoying rattle. Occurs at highway speeds excess of 55 mph

I have a 2018 Accord Hybrid Touring with a little over 10,000 miles on it. Over the last couple of months, a rattle has developed and it sounds like it's coming from the driver-side area underneath or behind the dash. I've read a number of posts citing an issue with the rubber strut cover, but I removed those and there wasn't any difference. The rattle sounds like very thin plastic fluttering in the wind and it only occurs once I approach highway speeds in excess of about 55 mph. Outdoor temperature appears to have no affect on the rattle. Any idea where to look or if there's something common that I should troubleshoot? I'm hesitant to take it into the dealer without doing my homework, as I have no doubt that they won't be able to replicate the issue even though it occurs nearly every time I drive the car. I have a video of the rattle if it would assist anyone in diagnosing the issue. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

There are two common rattles. One is the rubber strut covers, which you said you've tried. The other is the HUD rattle. I cannot post a link due to my new account here but it's this thread:

driveaccord.net/forums/241-10th-generation/510306-touring-dash-noise-heads-up-display-hud-rattle.html

post #3 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

The rattle seems to be coming from under/behind the dash, not where the HUD is located. I saw some posts and videos discussing the HUD rattle, but I really don't think that's it. Thanks for the response!
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 01:34 PM
2006 Accord EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAccord7 View Post
I'm hesitant to take it into the dealer without doing my homework, as I have no doubt that they won't be able to replicate the issue even though it occurs nearly every time I drive the car. I have a video of the rattle if it would assist anyone in diagnosing the issue. Thanks in advance!
You do know that this is non-sensical, correct?
As you stated,it happens every time you drive the car and you a video of it, yet you are worried they won't duplicate the issue??
Your car is still under warranty so I'd suggest you take it to the dealer and say, "Hey, can I ride with the tech when he does the initial test drive?"

We do this ALL the time when customers have a specific noise complaint.
Their feedback is usually crucial, and yours will be also, if the dealership values you as a customer.

2006 Accord EX 2.4L Coupe...189k and counting..
post #5 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the feedback. I'd just rather ask on a forum and see if I can find the issue myself before going through the frustration of dealing with the dealer. One other aspect is that the dealer is an hour away from me, so self-diagnosis is much more convenient. I wish I could say that the dealership values me as a customer, but the simple fact that I bought my car from another dealer out-of-state because of the local dealership's unwillingness to locate a vehicle to my specifications is somewhat telling...but I'm certainly willing to give the service department a chance even though the sales side has faltered. I'm not entirely opposed to taking the vehicle in to the dealership, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask prior to doing so in the event that someone else has experienced similar symptoms.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 01:50 PM
2006 Accord EX

If I had an "annoying" rattle in my car...I would think nothing of driving an hour back to that dealer to get it diagnosed, but...that's me.:/

Keep in mind, if you don't document this through Honda's service techs, then by all intents and purposes, it basically doesn't exist...in their eyes.

Anyway, good luck.
da35 likes this.

2006 Accord EX 2.4L Coupe...189k and counting..
post #7 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 03:56 PM
3rd Gear

There is also a known issue with some cars, related to the rubber trim around the outside mirror mount (with an actual TSB issued on how to solve it), but my impression is that the symptom is more like a howling noise once you are at freeway speed. So I doubt very much if it would cause a rattling sound that seems to come from inside....

But, since your issue was speed-related, I thought I'd mention it. (The test for it, by the way, was to either put your hand over the driver-side mirror mount (out the open window while driving), or else to put a bit of tape over that area. There are threads about this, as well as a TSB.)

Feel free to disregard this post if it has nothing to do with your issue!

2018 Accord Hybrid Touring
White Orchid Pearl with Ivory interior
post #8 of 18 Old 04-19-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

It's certainly worth a try...thanks for the suggestion!
post #9 of 18 Old 04-19-2019, 07:20 AM
1st Gear

I’m pretty sure I have your answer.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-19-2019, 07:22 AM
1st Gear

Open the driver’s door...look into the jamb area. See that black plastic “wall” ? It flutters. Took me forever to figure it out. Lol. I took a small piece of foam from a cheap camping mat, and folded/stuck it in there. Fixed. Ghetto indeed but free and almost invisible. Can barely see edge of foam with door open.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-19-2019, 07:49 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAccord7 View Post
The rattle seems to be coming from under/behind the dash, not where the HUD is located. I saw some posts and videos discussing the HUD rattle, but I really don't think that's it. Thanks for the response!
FWIW, that's how the HUD rattle sounds to a lot of us, myself included- Like it's coming from the dash or steering wheel column. Reach up and put a bit of pressure on the HUD screen with your finger when you hear it and see if that replicates it. Pretty easy to figure out if that's it or not. It really sounds like it is to me but it still could be something else.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-19-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Very good suggestions...I'll definitely give these a try and see what happens. Thanks!
post #13 of 18 Old 04-30-2019, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

Garage
My 2019 Accord Hybrid Touring is currently at the dealer for the 4th time fr the HUD rattle/squeak. First time they couldn't duplicate it. Of course as soon as I left there it was. The second time they were able to reproduce it and tried dding extra cloth tape under the trim. Still there. OK, third times the charm. Nope more tape and still there. The dealer asked if they could keep the car for a few days. That's where it is now. I also handed them the recommended fix from Honda. We shall see what happens...
BTW my Accord is 5 weeks old.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-30-2019, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmspen View Post
My 2019 Accord Hybrid Touring is currently at the dealer for the 4th time fr the HUD rattle/squeak. First time they couldn't duplicate it. Of course as soon as I left there it was. The second time they were able to reproduce it and tried dding extra cloth tape under the trim. Still there. OK, third times the charm. Nope more tape and still there. The dealer asked if they could keep the car for a few days. That's where it is now. I also handed them the recommended fix from Honda. We shall see what happens...
BTW my Accord is 5 weeks old.
Do you know the build month of your accord from the door jamb placard?
post #15 of 18 Old 04-30-2019, 03:55 PM
banned

Please let us know what the dealer did and if it resolved your HUD noise

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in