Performance heatsoak and brake heat problems - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-17-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Performance heatsoak and brake heat problems

Hey guys, I have put stage two hondata carb legal reflash as well as firestone Indy 500 ultra high performance summer tires and k and n intake on my 2018 2.0t exl. Perfect first mods IMO BUT I am experiencing serious heatsoak problems and brake fade. My questions is, has anyone bought the prl performance intercooler? Also who has upgraded the brakes pads or rotors? These are my next two upgrades planned as well as putting in dot4 brake fluid to make sure brake lines don’t heat up. If anyone can shed light on if they think this is smart or has done it already please respond thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2019, 03:36 AM
4th Gear

I am waiting on may for the PRL intercooler to come back in stock, and from what all I have read, these cars are prone to it. An intercooler seems to be a worthy upgrade.

PRL Motorsports likes this.

2018 1.5T Sport CVT White Pearl - 11k miles
PRL Stage 1 Intake
BMS JB4
Enkei TFR Copper Wheels
Progress RSB
Old 03-18-2019, 04:06 AM
4th Gear

What kind of driving are you doing to produce brake fade on public streets? Are you tracking the car?
Baldeagle and Hudouc like this.

2012 Civic Si - Sold
2019 Lunar Silver Accord Sport 2.0 A/T
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpypolecat View Post
What kind of driving are you doing to produce brake fade on public streets? Are you tracking the car?
Maybe @making gains drives his Accord like San Francisco Police Lieutenant Frank Bullitt drove his Mustang when he was chasing the Dodge Charger.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:03 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpypolecat View Post
This was going to be my question as well. Honda in general does not have the greatest brakes for any kind of performance driving. My wife's Pilot has issues coming down the hill from Lake Tahoe (shuddering/fade), very undersized brakes.

If you're really having issues with fade, I would look into a different pad compound and/or a big brake setup. It sounds like you must be tracking the car if you're worried about boiling the brake fluid. Using something like the RBF 600/660 will help with that. Just be aware that you're going to have to change that fluid more frequently as it is very hygroscopic.

2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T - Daily Warrior
2009 Nissan GTR Premium - E85 Guzzler
2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD - Kid Mover
Old 03-18-2019, 08:11 AM
Honda Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostd4 View Post
My wife's Pilot has issues coming down the hill from Lake Tahoe (shuddering/fade), very undersized brakes.
You're not supposed to ride brakes down a mountain/hill/sustained downward slope.

DARKART

CR3 Sport
Crystal Black Pearl
K24W1 Earth Dreams/6MT
If it's Mugen, it's worth it.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:23 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by da35 View Post
You're not supposed to ride brakes down a mountain/hill/sustained downward slope.
I should have made that side note...this is with me driving and not riding the brake. This is with me managing speed and braking. The car just needs more surface area on it's rotors.

2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T - Daily Warrior
2009 Nissan GTR Premium - E85 Guzzler
2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD - Kid Mover
Old 03-19-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I can drive pretty hard and the acceleration is massively quick in sport mode with stage 2 reflash and with ultra high peformance sticky
summer tires thing grips like a mad man. I bought this car to mod and drive fast/track. Bought it over a mustang ecoboost because it has more space, much better interior and is literally just as fast. With a reflash its a beast man.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:46 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

Put some better pads on it. Akebono Performance Pads (Not Akebono Ceramic..it's different product lines) are my preferred pad for street-performance. Hawk HP+ pads are more if you do track days and can tolerate weak brakes until they get hot (and squealing at low speeds).

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV separator
- Koni FSDs, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:55 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I am waiting on may for the PRL intercooler to come back in stock, and from what all I have read, these cars are prone to it. An intercooler seems to be a worthy upgrade.
All turbo cars are prone to it (esp 20 psi), but front mount intercoolers are generally less susceptible. The stock IC seems to be decent sized. I'd want to see measured difference in charge temps before buying
Old 03-29-2019, 03:08 PM
4th Gear

The stock IC seems to be ok moving. Hwy it will be say 85 IAT and 110 after IC. Stop and go, it’ll be 85 IAT and 150 after IC. That can do better.

PRL Stage 1 Intake
BMS JB4
Enkei TFR Copper Wheels
Progress RSB
Old 03-29-2019, 10:48 PM
banned

Is the aftermarket really better? Again I'd like to see measured differences, 20-25 degrees above ambient is typical and good performance. Heat soak in traffic, esp with high ambient temps is esssentially unavoidable
Old 03-30-2019, 04:39 AM
4th Gear

Everyone I have spoken too says an IC is a worthy upgrade, even the local Honda shop that will do some of my work (does not sell IC's and has no relation to PRL). So I trust them.

Now if it drops traffic temp 20-30 degrees, one has to deem if it is worthy to them for the cost. I'm getting on, so I'll know in a few months what the temps actually do. It gets hot as hell in the summer here with high humidity, so I'll be curious to see how this factory does vs the PRL. IMO, the lower the heat the better for other reasons than power too.

PRL Stage 1 Intake
BMS JB4
Enkei TFR Copper Wheels
Progress RSB
Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 AM

An intercooler is arguably the best upgrade you can do for these platforms, they are smaller displacement engines running a rather tiny turbo at high RPMs. More boost out of a small turbo means higher temperatures, higher temperatures increases chances of knock/detonation, and limits power and reliability. Increasing the size of your intercooler promotes efficiency and longevity of engine components and turbo charger along with retention of horsepower after driving for an extended period of time, especially very spiritedly.

Gradual transitions from the end tanks to the charge pipes help aid overall flow. We increased the density of the core over stock and increased the number of internal and outside rows for adequate cooling. When removing the factory intercooler it becomes very apparent where improvements can be made, from the core size to plastic "crimped" end tanks.

With our 1.5T Civic intercooler upgrade we saw as much as a 50 degree drop (Average of 36 degree drop) in post intercooler IAT's on stock ECU mapping just by swapping out the intercooler setups. You are welcome to check out the dyno results in the product description to view back to back runs here:https://prlmotorsports.com/2016hondacivic15tfmickit.aspx#.XKIgQJhKiUk

Power gains may seem minimal on a stock or near-stock car running factory boost levels, but they become much more amplified when turning the boost up and pushing things further.

Hope that clears some things up!
gadgtfreek likes this.

PRL Motorsports

724-325-6300
1101 Pontiac Court Export, Pa 15632
Old 04-01-2019, 08:16 AM
4th Gear

That is where I want to get, IAT and post IC AT around the same value.

PRL Stage 1 Intake
BMS JB4
Enkei TFR Copper Wheels
Progress RSB
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: