Time for some regular maintenance - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-22-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Time for some regular maintenance

Hey guys!

I'm actually really looking forward to selling my 8th gen sedan...Not sure what I'm going to get next. Can't afford a Model 3 right now but hope to in the near future... I'm graduating next month with my MBA so I'm hoping that + my experience will take me somewhere...

anywho. Replaced the rear rotors over the weekend. I also had some weaver pads lying around so just changed them out for the heck of it. There's a metal on metal sound when I drive and I think its from my front rotors.... after replacing the rears I still noticed the sound, it occurs whether I'm braking or not. It's noticeable at low speeds where you can hear the sound reflecting off a building or something... So I need to figure out what it is... Guessing the front rotors are wearing or there's something stuck between the dust guard????

Pretty good before/after. Rear rotors are Centric e-coated that took 2 months for amazon to get them in stock. I added some additional paint to the hats so they don't rust. I'll do the same on the fronts.

Few more items to take care of:

1. Replace front rotors
2. Change out PS fluid
3. Bleed and replace the brake fluid

I just replaced the spark plugs a few months earlier and rotated the tires. Things seem to be running good on the accord... Just read for her to go now...

Before:

After:

I also use a high temp metal flake silver paint on the calipers. Doesn't make them stand out too much but makes them look brand new! Hey, anything that'll prevent rust... Hoping these maintenance items will increase the resale value of the car.... Tire's easily have 20k left on them too

JREwing78 likes this.

2010 8th Generation Accord i4 AT

Gonna own a Porsche one day...
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-22-2019, 03:02 AM
2nd Gear

Very nice! Those new rotors look great! Congrats on completing your MBA and best of luck to you in all of your future work and career!

As for the grinding sound, it may actually be the dust shield itself. I had that happen on my 2011 CRV where for whatever reason, the guard got pushed/moved into contact with the very outer end/top of the brake rotor on the front passenger side and I could only hear it by driving through my neighborhood with the windows down, and passing by parked cars (like yours, the sound was amplified/echoed by the cars I passed on the right of me). This happened almost immediately after I had driven the vehicle on a very rough and gravely pot-hole filled driveway (about half a mile one way of in the woods, deep pot holes and large gravel--I drove slowly enough, but it was impossible to miss the major pot-holes)

I just took the wheel off, and bent the dust shield back by hand -- pressing it back--in towards the inside of the engine bay and the sound went away. I'm not assuming this is exactly what you have--but your thought that it might be the dust shield is a great place to start.

post #3 of 19 Old 04-22-2019, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Yea... Ive researched some and that's the conclusion I come up with. I regularly drive in about the worst alley possible... Its in DC but you would think the alley was transported from somewhere like Liberia...
There are tons of potholes and ones so deep I have to angle the car just so it doesn't bottom out when exiting the alley. Ive got a shovel and rake I just might as well go fix it myself some weekend...

The only other maintenance item that I can think of thatll need changed is the serpentine belt... I've never replaced that belt before and supposedly it's quite easy to do... I just need a new belt and an idler pulley bar. I guess I'll inspect it and see if the belt is fine. Honda told me like 2 years ago that I should consider replacing it when I was in for my inspection...

Oh I also replaced the atf fluid like 10k iish miles ago. Im driving a 2010 accord with 88k miles on it. Since I bike to work now I really only drive the car if it's awful weather out or on the weekends. I think I put like 1200 miles on the car 6months after moving into the city... 36 miles in December. Lol

Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-22-2019, 06:53 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philaphlous View Post
...is the serpentine belt... I've never replaced that belt before and supposedly it's quite easy to do... I just need a new belt and an idler pulley bar.
At 88k miles, it's not crazy to just replace it due to the mileage on it. I think visual inspection of belts is hit or miss. Sure, you can see obvious issues but I'll bet plenty of belts that look good still break.

It shouldn't be a difficult job either. You should be able to use a long-handled ratchet and socket or a breaker bar and socket to release the tension but the tools that are made specific for different vehicles are always better. There's usually limited space and it might be tricky to fit regular tools in the space while the specialty tools are always very thin, just for this reason. Just borrow one from a parts store.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-22-2019, 10:57 AM
4th Gear

Congrats on your MBA. Cars will come, cars will go. I wish they'd make engines so that we'd get 60-70 mpg (not hybrid). Remember the Honda CRX...great mileage.
I'm now driving my Accord to do Uber/Lyft full-time...tough times calls for tough measures but I'm keeping on the maintenance on the Accord. Will get seats and carpet professionally shampooed this summer.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-22-2019, 01:16 PM
2nd Gear

The serpentine belt is actually a very easy job on our cars. Thereís enough room that Iíve found a standard ratchet and a small piece of pipe are enough to extend it to mover the idler. Just print out the belt travel diagram and youíll be fine. I have the chiltons manual for our car so Iíll find the diagram and scan it for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 19 Old 04-22-2019, 01:22 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,621 Posts
I got my MBA from George Mason University- while living in DC. Back then, the roads were like something out of the Dakkar rally.

You are doing the right things, getting stuff fixed and pretty.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM
2nd Gear

Turns out, Chilton's manual doesn't give the exact diagram for the belt routing..they literally state "install it in the reverse order of disassembly" which is fine...but I would prefer a diagram..oh well--here are the diagrams from serpentinebeltdiagram.com

4cyl and V6 attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Serpentine-Belt-Diagram-For-2009-2008-HONDA-Accord-V6-3.5-Liter-04535.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	501249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Serpentine-Belt-Diagram-For-2009-2008-HONDA-Accord-4-Cylinder-2.4-Liter-04534.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	501251  
The Following User Says Thank You to Sff2988 For This Useful Post:
Yo_dA (04-25-2019)
post #9 of 19 Old 04-23-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Yes thanks guys. I'm hoping to get all this regular maintenance out of the way before I sell the car...hoping it increases the resaleability of the car. I'm looking to hold on to it for another year unless things change before that. The paint is pretty good except for a few marks from other drivers...I've got a pen to fix that though so that'll help. I need to also fix the stitching on the passenger seat where the little pocket is at the side it's splitting. Interior looks great after steam cleaning. Smells better too!

post #10 of 19 Old 04-23-2019, 08:40 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Yes thanks guys. I'm hoping to get all this regular maintenance out of the way before I sell the car...hoping it increases the resaleability of the car.
If that's your only reason for doing these things (it shouldn't be anyway), don't. It won't increase the resale value or worth of the car. Yeah, it will make a buyer more assured of the condition but they won't pay more because of this in the end.
mtts60 likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-23-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson View Post
If that's your only reason for doing these things (it shouldn't be anyway), don't. It won't increase the resale value or worth of the car. Yeah, it will make a buyer more assured of the condition but they won't pay more because of this in the end.

ha... well yes and no. One I kind of want to make sure I'm driving a safe and reliable vehicle. I guess you could say that I might have neglected some of these regular maintenance items like brake fluid and PS fluid...

I essentially want to do all I can to sell it top dollar and at least I'll have these talking points on how the vehicle maintenance was all done properly and is up-to-date. Shoot I'm painting the rotor hats so the dang things won't rust in a week of use...so a year from now they should still be looking great when I go to sell it....

My front rotors arrived. They look great! I might have time to put them on this weekend...we'll see.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-23-2019, 05:35 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson View Post

ha... well yes and no. One I kind of want to make sure I'm driving a safe and reliable vehicle. I guess you could say that I might have neglected some of these regular maintenance items like brake fluid and PS fluid...

I essentially want to do all I can to sell it top dollar and at least I'll have these talking points on how the vehicle maintenance was all done properly and is up-to-date. Shoot I'm painting the rotor hats so the dang things won't rust in a week of use...so a year from now they should still be looking great when I go to sell it....

My front rotors arrived. They look great! I might have time to put them on this weekend...we'll see.
It usually doesn't increase resale value, heck even replacing a broken AC compressor will not increase the value but it sounds like you enjoy this, therefore you should keep up with the maintenance and keep doing what you doing.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-24-2019, 08:19 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to CharlieHustle Send a message via Yahoo to CharlieHustle
Maintenance is expected to be done on a car, so the work you've done wont increase the resale value of your car. The overspray around the rear caliper may give buyers the idea that the car has been messed with since you wouldn't find that on any regular Accord. Or it may give the impression that the job was done with little care and consideration. That might give them the idea that you cut corners on the rest of the work you've done to the car.

Not sure what top dollar would be in your eyes, but dont expect to get what a dealership would for a similar model.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-25-2019, 04:50 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHustle View Post
Maintenance is expected to be done on a car, so the work you've done wont increase the resale value of your car.

Quote:
The overspray around the rear caliper may give buyers the idea that the car has been messed with since you wouldn't find that on any regular Accord. Or it may give the impression that the job was done with little care and consideration. That might give them the idea that you cut corners on the rest of the work you've done to the car.
Very good point. Only thing I'd say though is that 90% of people will never see that. The 10% that might, well, it will be too late as they won't see this until they've bought the car and are doing work later on. See it during a pre-purchase inspection ? How many people really do that ?

Quote:
Not sure what top dollar would be in your eyes, but dont expect to get what a dealership would for a similar model.
I'm sure there's a percentage amount difference for private sale vs dealer sale prices. Any seller who compares prices at dealers and then attempts to price their private sale price anywhere close will be sorely disappointed. People buy privately for one primary reason: Lower prices
post #15 of 19 Old 04-25-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

That overspray was visible before the car was driven. I cover the surface that's in contact with the brake pads. So essentially I'm adding a slight amount of paint beyond what centric already coated the hats with. That way you don't get a ring of rust between the painted hat and the contact surface of the rotors/pads. The fading overspray is then cut even by the pressure of the pads on the rotor and now they look super clean..

People have talked about fouling the pads with paint between the rotor and brake surface but I have such a small amount it's really inconsequential. Yes I did use brake cleaner and degreaser before I put the rotors on....

So my resale value may not be higher persay, however it may be easier to sell the car because it looks dang clean...from the rotors to hood...

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in