2000 Accord Dashlights / Taillights out. Multiplex Control Unit removal and install? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-30-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2000 Accord Dashlights / Taillights out. Multiplex Control Unit removal and install?

After doing some research I've narrowed the cause of the problem possibly being the result of a fried multiplex control unit. I'm a bit reluctant to spend nearly $300 to get a new one installed, and risking the possibility of the issue being caused by something else. Are there any other possible causes and solutions?

Does anyone on here have any experience with the mechanical procedures needed to replace a fried Multiplex Control Unit?

Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 AM
6th Gear

you probably have two problems

there is a safety recall for the multiplex for dash lights only on this vin split(meaning free replacement lol):

VEHICLES AFFECTED
2000 Accord LX V6 2-Door:
From VIN 1HGCG224.YA000001 thru
1HGCG224.YA043733
2000 Accord LX V6 4-Door:
From VIN 1HGCG164.YA000001 thru
1HGCG164.YA101229
2001 Accord LX V6 2-Door:
From VIN 1HGCG224.1A000001 thru
1HGCG224.1A007174

post your vin and i'll see if it's been done before.

as for your taillights - just pop the bulbs out and put some new ones in. or describe the problem:

do the brake lights work? any at all? third brake light out?

do the marker lights work?(headlights on only)

post #3 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 02:31 PM
2nd Gear

It's common sense, but you never mentioned..

Have you cheched the fuses?? The dash and tail lights are on the same circuit. I think it on the driver's fuse box.
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-02-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

@HondaTech I'll post my vin soon as I get home, all the other lights are working except for the tail lights and instrument panel lights. I checked the tail lights bulb and the filaments are still in place, doesn't rattle when I shake it.

@winglet I'm having difficulty discerning which fuses need to be replaced. The list on the fuse box cover doesn't say anything about tail lights or instrument panel lights, same with the passenger side fuse box and under the hood.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-04-2013, 02:28 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gralph46 View Post
@winglet I'm having difficulty discerning which fuses need to be replaced. The list on the fuse box cover doesn't say anything about tail lights or instrument panel lights, same with the passenger side fuse box and under the hood.
It may be on pax side. Should be labeled "small lights"
post #6 of 10 Old 07-07-2013, 07:04 AM
2nd Gear

I had the same exact problem on my 2000 accord about 5 months ago, except that my tail lights didn't go out... only the dash lights.

I was swapping out my climate control and put the wrong year hazard light switch in and it fried the multi. Were you doing any work on your car, like changing the stereo? Through my research, that's when most people fried it back there.

Anyways, when I went to the junk yard I picked up two on the cheap, one for me and one to unload on ebay that never ended up happening. If you have a sedan 4 cyl and narrow it down to the multiplex PM me. Installing it on your own is a PITA, but not really complicated. Just a lot of maneuvering in tight spaces under the dash.

BTW, here is the thread that I had made about my problem, might help. https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=76751
post #7 of 10 Old 07-08-2013, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

Garage
thecheese, I have the EXACT same issue. Replaced my 00 heater control unit (and clock) with a 98 control unit. Only my dash lights are out. I will be replacing my multiplexer unit (will make sure it is from an 00) and was hoping you could provide some guidance on how to replace. Were you able to obtain some instructions from the Web (or Honda)? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can not figure-out how to get the defective one out and the new one in.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-10-2013, 02:35 AM
2nd Gear

It's been a while since I did the replace, but it is pretty straight forward from what I recall. However, you do have to take the whole fusebox unit out that includes the multiplexer, and then remove the multiplexer once you get the whole unit out. Impossible to just pluck the multiplexer out of the housing while it's still in the car. I also remember I really had to pry on the old multiplexer to get it out of the housing... thought I was going to break something for sure, but didn't... might have broke one of the clips on the housing, but the new one still held plenty snug when it was plugged in. So don't worry too much about that when you get to that point.

To do that, I think you just need to remove the cover underneath the steering wheel, and then you should have access to everything, although it is tight clearances. A lot of reaching up with pliers/flathead screwdrivers to get the leverage you need to pop off the wire harnesses. Might be a bolt or two that holds the unit in there, but the real PITA was getting all the harnesses off in such a tight space with your body contorted down underneath the wheel so you can see what's going on.

I also remember that at first I bought my replacement off of ebay, but the company sent me a unit from the passenger side by mistake. Didn't fully realize this before I already plucked the one out of my car. Anyways, not terribly difficult as long as you can stay patient. Like I said, holler if you need a unit, I still have an extra laying around I thought I'd be able to sell on ebay that didn't end up selling.

btw, if you still have the 98 unit in there, you're just going to fry another multi unit whenever you change out the current bad one. I kept my new climate control unit, but used the hazard switch (and clock, I think) from my old unit. The hazard switch didn't fit 100% perfect in the new one, like it stuck out a mm further, but nothing anybody would ever notice.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-10-2013, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

Garage
Thank You!!! I did use the old clock/hazard switch. How much are you asking for your multiplexer unit and is it for the DRIVERS side?
post #10 of 10 Old 04-18-2019, 07:12 PM
My First Post

So I have a 99 Honda Accord yaks in the tail lights went out in the dash lights are out and the alternator wonít shut wonít keep the car running are charged and itís a brand new alternator can this be to the multiplexing issue
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in