Why do I have fuses for features I don't have? Can I pull it as a spare? - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By WhiteOrchid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Why do I have fuses for features I don't have? Can I pull it as a spare?

My 2014 EX Coupe has no power seat or heated seats, but my interior fuse box has 20A fuses for them. Is it OK to pull them to use for another slot?

My moonroof was damaged a while back and I pulled the fuse for it so I could still use my remote to open windows without it trying to open the moonroof. Well now I want to get the moonroof repaired so I need to put replace that fuse. Can I be lazy and just use one of these other fuses rather than going out and buying the replacement I need?

I'm not sure why the fuses for reclining/heated seats are there when my car doesn't have those features.

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Try it and find out!

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my car's thread
post #3 of 8 Old 04-13-2019, 07:21 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Fuses really don't cost that much......
davidg4781 and enne like this.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L HFP V6 M6 in WOP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

My guess is that during the assembly process, the procedure is to install all the fuses for the highest model trim since they are cheap parts and that the features/options get added in later. You are safe pulling those fuses.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear

^^^this.

Betcha the fuse box is installed on the production line as an assembly with all the fuses installed. Probably cheaper and easier to produce a single fuse box as opposed to making ones that are feature specific to the model theyíre being installed on.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 07:17 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldursgate View Post
My 2014 EX Coupe has no power seat or heated seats, but my interior fuse box has 20A fuses for them. Is it OK to pull them to use for another slot?

My moonroof was damaged a while back and I pulled the fuse for it so I could still use my remote to open windows without it trying to open the moonroof. Well now I want to get the moonroof repaired so I need to put replace that fuse. Can I be lazy and just use one of these other fuses rather than going out and buying the replacement I need?

I'm not sure why the fuses for reclining/heated seats are there when my car doesn't have those features.
I’m guessing Honda finally learned their lessons on this. For the 8th gen we had 2 MICU’s. One for the driver side, one for the passenger. I believe you guys have 1 total.

For the passenger side it was only engine dependent. For the driver side they decided to make it not only engine dependent but also trim specific. That meant there were LOT of driver side MICU’s. I have disassembled about 4 of them and every one has the same motherboard. On the 2 door the relay for the DRIVER side (not both, just the driver side) rear door lock/window motor was missing. Other than that they came with main buss bars connecting all the various equipment and those bars were again engine/trim specific. On the passenger side it was the same on every one I took apart. Same motherboard, same components installed on the board, same buss bars.

So my guess is what they did was save costs by doing it not only the same for most engines/trims, but also combining everything into 1. All the plugs are the same, if you don’t have an option the only thing you’d be missing is a wire from the harness. If that’s the case and the intervals of the MICU’s are the same it could be easy to add things like power seats, lane departure, etc by just changing out a harness or 2. Again, I’m just guessing since I haven’t torn into one before.
post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOrchid View Post
Fuses really don't cost that much......
My recent experience in buying correct fuses with my local dealer was interesting. I had blown one installing some LED footwell lighting, and went to buy a replacement or two since the spare(s) were missing (and I didn't actually think to try an unused one lol). 50 cents each, all good.

Go back a couple of weeks later to buy a couple of extras and the price was....$7...each. I said there must be an error, nope. Thats the new price, and I never went to another dealer as he owns the two closest to me so I bought one.

"Owns" is the key word, I was informally told the owner just bought the dealerships and obviously needed a way to finance it, not sure how thats working but there you have it. I go there so infrequently that I'm not able to see how far the ripoff syndrome extends. Its the same dealer that years ago charged me $100 to balance 4 tires, and then proceeded to charge me for each individual lead weight. Fun.

(thank God for this forum, and forums like this one.................)

Current: 2014 Accord Sport 6MT WOP (35% tint, interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED footwell lights (4), dome to map mod, gutter guard install, trunk handle, glove box light and 19mm TL Swaybar)
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 04:19 PM
2nd Gear

Thereís a reason they call them stealerships.

Sadly, there will always be a sucker out there who doesnít know any better and will pay whatever they charge.

Acura dealership wanted $1900 to do the clutch on my RSX. I bought all OEM parts from an online dealership and paid less then $600 doing it myself.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in