Interchangeable Parts - Drive Accord Honda Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-13-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Interchangeable Parts

Hey guys ! New to the forum here but I recently purchased a 2016 Honda Accord LX and wanted to do some mods to it. I was wondering if it were possible to take leather seats from say an EX w/o the heated/cooling options as well as installing fog lights into the front. Wanted some better features and am planning to install myself. Any info you guys may have ?

Also, I know this is super opinionated, but what seems to be the best oil for these cars ? I’m thinking of running Amsoil with either a Wix or KN filter.

Thanks a ton, guys !

Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-13-2019, 07:44 PM
BRWNFLSH now

You will have to run wires to power the leather seats. Fog lights will also require wiring harnesses. The Honda kits come with harnesses, but are pretty pricey. Don't know what other issues might arise, like airbag connections, seat belt connections, etc. Good luck
Swapping in leather seats will sometimes look out of place, if they don't match the rest of the interior. Leather seat cars usually have matching leather on the door panels for instance. Take that into consideration too.
Honestly after having leather seats in my 03, I will never have leather seats again. IMO you have to be too gentle with them. The microfiber seats are holding up just fine so far, and no complaints about leather burning the wife's legs. Others will say they love their leather seats, so this is just my experience.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 35,000 miles so far
post #3 of 12 Old 04-13-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
You will have to run wires to power the leather seats. Fog lights will also require wiring harnesses. The Honda kits come with harnesses, but are pretty pricey. Don't know what other issues might arise, like airbag connections, seat belt connections, etc. Good luck
Swapping in leather seats will sometimes look out of place, if they don't match the rest of the interior. Leather seat cars usually have matching leather on the door panels for instance. Take that into consideration too.
Honestly after having leather seats in my 03, I will never have leather seats again. IMO you have to be too gentle with them. The microfiber seats are holding up just fine so far, and no complaints about leather burning the wife's legs. Others will say they love their leather seats, so this is just my experience.

Gotcha. I was planning on grabbing some seats and interior pieces from a salvage yard, if possible, or off of someone here but I doubt itíll be an easy task considering how new it is.

I ask about the seats because I previously had an 08 accord LX-P in which I was able to just swap out the cloth seats out for some leather seats I bought off of someone on Craigslist and all I had to do was just recalibrate the seats. Was just wondering if itíd be the same procedure with this newer model but Iíll just have to see how exactly the wiring is set up.
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Maybe I’m not the only one thinking this, maybe I am.

But in the long run, would it not have been cheaper just to look for an EX or EX-L Accord if you really want/need these upgrades?

By the time you locate all the parts (via wrecker or manufacturer), install them, deal with the electrical, you could have probably sold your LX, got an EX or EX-L, and be ahead.

To me, it just seems like a headache. Go enjoy your car and get leather next time! The cloth seats are actually nice and would have considered them if my Touring didn’t have leather.

2013 Honda Accord Touring
3.5 L V6
Obsidian Blue Pearl, Grey Leather Interior
Decklid Spoiler
19 inch OEM Accord Sport Rims
post #5 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 11:40 AM
4th Gear

Black cloth seats are nice, but the grey LX ones suck. They show water stains way too easily.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 PM
5th Gear

For leather seats: Getting your fabric seats covered with leather is an alternative to replacing them entirely. I cannot mention a brand name, there are threads on this forum with pictures and all other info. Worth checking out.

For electrical accessories: It was more simple and super straightforward in the past, but nowadays everything is connected, and the car gets upset easily even when people change some lightbulbs with aftermarket ones. In my old car I added all kinds of aftermarket gadgets, fogs were the first to crap out.

If you want a project car, something like a Thunderbird would be a better way to spend your time on.

2014 Accord Coupe cvt ex-l nav
2004 CR-V mt
post #7 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 12:18 PM
5th Gear

For oil I use Quaker state ultimate durability full synthetic 0w-20 and use a mobil 1 110a filter. Cheapest price is at Walmart. Oil cost $20 for a 5 qt. jug and $10 for the filter.

IMO, it's a lot of work to change out the front seats and add fog lights due to wiring. It's doable. If it's a DIY project, get a buddy that can help you and buy him a 6-pack.

2016 Honda Accord Sport 6MT Modern Steel Metallic, 22,000 miles as of April 1, 2019. Mods: aFe Pro dry S panel filter, 35% tint, Sport grille(replica), Progress 22mm rear sway bar, Ultra Racing front strut bar, Diode Dynamics LED license plate bulbs, Amber/Chrome delete rear turn signal lights w/ red vinyl, Amber delete front reflectors w/ black vinyl, turn signal bulbs: Sylvania clear bulbs 7440 rear/7443 front, JTP forged wheel spacers: 15mm front 20mm rear, Eibach pro kit
post #8 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 01:11 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I wish my EX didn't have power seats. My wife moves the seat all the way forward, and I move it all the way back. I have to stand outside the car, holding the switch, waiting for the seat to go back. My first Accord had manual seats, and a quick pull up on the lever sent the seat back in 1/4 of the time. If it's raining, waiting for the power seat to go back can get you wet.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 35,000 miles so far
post #9 of 12 Old 04-19-2019, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies, guys ! As for the pricing, around my area, the cost of an EX was $5k more than what I paid for my LX and I highly doubt Iíd pay that much for all the mods Iíll be doing lol but I think Iíll keep the manual notches and just get some leather covers to keep it simple. Iím in no rush, just checking things out as days go by.

Anyone here try AMSOIL ? Iíve heard good things about that oil but wasnít sure if anyone here has given it a shot. I may just go with mobil 1 or Quaker, honestly lol

Iím a DIYíer so these small projects are daunting and i usually love doing work on my cars.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-19-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

*arenít
post #11 of 12 Old 04-19-2019, 09:38 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord44 View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys ! As for the pricing, around my area, the cost of an EX was $5k more than what I paid for my LX and I highly doubt I’d pay that much for all the mods I’ll be doing lol but I think I’ll keep the manual notches and just get some leather covers to keep it simple. I’m in no rush, just checking things out as days go by.

Anyone here try AMSOIL ? I’ve heard good things about that oil but wasn’t sure if anyone here has given it a shot. I may just go with mobil 1 or Quaker, honestly lol

I’m a DIY’er so these small projects are daunting and i usually love doing work on my cars.
I recommend avoiding those Ebay or Amazon leather seat covers if that's your plan. You might not be happy with the quality and fitment. Shop around and get a few quotes from upholstery shops. Katzskin leather may be a good option for your LX. I don't have Katzskin but they get excellent reviews all day long. Don't know their price either.

Amsoil is probably the best synthetic oil on the market. For most everyone it's just not worth it due to high cost. In comparison, 1 quart of Amsoli can run you around $15-$20 compared to 1 quart of Quaker state or mobil 1 is just $4-$5 when purchased in a 5 quart jug at Walmart. Every so often, mobil 1 and pennzoil offer a $10 rebate on for a 5 quart purchase on their websites.

2016 Honda Accord Sport 6MT Modern Steel Metallic, 22,000 miles as of April 1, 2019. Mods: aFe Pro dry S panel filter, 35% tint, Sport grille(replica), Progress 22mm rear sway bar, Ultra Racing front strut bar, Diode Dynamics LED license plate bulbs, Amber/Chrome delete rear turn signal lights w/ red vinyl, Amber delete front reflectors w/ black vinyl, turn signal bulbs: Sylvania clear bulbs 7440 rear/7443 front, JTP forged wheel spacers: 15mm front 20mm rear, Eibach pro kit
post #12 of 12 Old 04-19-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan2014 View Post
I recommend avoiding those Ebay or Amazon leather seat covers if that's your plan. You might not be happy with the quality and fitment. Shop around and get a few quotes from upholstery shops. Katzskin leather may be a good option for your LX. I don't have Katzskin but they get excellent reviews all day long. Don't know their price either.

Amsoil is probably the best synthetic oil on the market. For most everyone it's just not worth it due to high cost. In comparison, 1 quart of Amsoli can run you around $15-$20 compared to 1 quart of Quaker state or mobil 1 is just $4-$5 when purchased in a 5 quart jug at Walmart. Every so often, mobil 1 and pennzoil offer a $10 rebate on for a 5 quart purchase on their websites.
Funny that you mention it, I was considering Katzkin and saw an ad that had one for a super low price-all real with tags to show. I may delve into that and if so, Iíll return with some photos once itís been placed onto my seats. I donít mind paying the premium as Iíll probably only change my oil twice a year and with the New England winters, I want to protect the engine as much as possible. Thanks again for the advice-itís definitely appreciated !
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in