2014 EX-L Alignment Problems - Drive Accord Honda Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-13-2019, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2014 EX-L Alignment Problems

Hi,

I have a 4 cylinder 2014 Honda Accord EX-L with about 78,000 miles. The car gets about 20k miles put on it a year, which is about 1.7k per month. The car is consistently having alignment problems and I'm trying to get some input from the forums as to what might be going on and how to fix. I've taken the car to two tire shops both of which said the car is very out of alignment and are not sure what is going on. They mention potholes could be the problem, and while Boston has its fair share of potholes, I don't think alignment should be this off in 3 months. I constantly have to get it realigned as the tires are wearing out quick. Attached are the alignment reports I got on 2/19/19 and then on 5/13/19. Any ideas what could be happening? From the attached, it looks like the right front toe could be the problem. Is that the passenger side tire? How would I go about solving this problem for good. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019.02.19.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	502141   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019.05.13.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	502143  
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-13-2019, 04:41 AM

The problem is the rear camber, most likely due to suspension wear.

But -2 degree camber is acceptable, as long as you keep tire rotations going, even though it's out of factory spec.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #3 of 14 Old 05-13-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thank you. I was wondering why the rears are always red and negative even after the alignment. So are you saying whenever I get an alignment, the rear cambers are left alone because there's not much that can be done? Are the rear cambers throwing the front toes out of spec? Thanks again.
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-13-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Upon a closer look, I think you are incorrect. The cambers are close to spec (-0.8 to -1.8). The front toe was almost an inch off. This keeps happening. Any ideas? Thanks.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-13-2019, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Your camber looks fine to me, your front right toe looked very out of spec in the before alignment.
You mentioned that you drive in an area with a lot of potholes, I might think your front suspension could be affecting the toe/tire wear. It could honestly be anything from struts to bushings to the rack. If the tire shops can't figure it out, you might have to bring it into the dealership they will definitely find your problem.

Despite being a Honda, at 78K miles something is bound to be worn.
From my personal experience I had to replace the struts at 60K miles on my 2016 Accord, and steering rack at 85K on my 2009 Accord.

2016 Accord Coupe Touring 65K miles (current)
Deep Blue Opal Metallic
-HFP front, sides, rear, decklid
-Amr Engineering coilovers w/swift springs
-245/40r19 Michelins

2009 Accord LX 120K miles (sold)
1998 Accord EX 250K miles (sold)
post #6 of 14 Old 05-13-2019, 10:07 PM
5th Gear

Garage
Your most recent alignment seems fine other than the rear camber being slightly out of spec. Like @t-rd said, if you rotate your tires enough, it wont matter. If you keep on hitting potholes, you will throw the alignment out of spec and is bound to break something. Try to avoid hitting potholes in a safe manner. (Dont swerve out of your lane, look ahead, change lanes if necessary, etc)

Edit: Is your car empty when you went to do the alignment? Anything exceptionally heavy in the trunk?

2010 Accord LX Sedan (130k)

Crosstour Gauge Cluster
Thule Aeroblade Roof Rack
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 + 2017 Hyundai SantaFe Sport Wheels
K&N Drop-in Filter
TL Non-SH-AWD RSB
OEM EX trim front shock tower brace
Koni FSD
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
RV6 Stuff
Ktuner

Coming soon:
OE deck lid spoiler

2018 Camry SE
Stock & will stay that way.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the responses guys. I agree the cambers look alright and only slightly out of spec. The alignments are done with nothing exceptionally heavy in the car. I did hit a rock going over a dirt road about a year ago that did some damage to the underside of the car. The alignment problems only started happening recently (within the last 6 months) though. Could that have done it? I attached a pic. The damage is behind the front tire. In the alignment diagram, is the front right the passenger side or the driver side? The rock was on the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	502227  
post #8 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 07:33 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to sandevino
Stupid question but what size wheels do you have? Most EX-L’s have 18” rims but the alignment spec sheet is using 17” rim specs which have different toe and camber specs. If you are experiencing this much of an issue with alignment in 3 months time, I highly recommend getting the suspension inspected if nothing more than to rule it out.

For arguments sake, I have a 2017 EX-L that has had ONE alignment in the past 2.5 years and this was within the first few days of ownership. The dealer didn’t check the alignment and it was off from transport and corrected under warranty. I’ve had the alignment CHECKED every 6 months thereafter at the local NTB I use and it’s been dead on every time. North Texas roads are a mix of asphalt and concrete with horrendous expansion gaps, pot holes and rather crappy roads where I live which sound similar to yours.

These cars are not known for poor alignment issues. Solve the problem and the rest will sort itself out.

2017 V6 Coupe 6MT
Still Nght Pearl
CDV-less
post #9 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks. I will definitely have to get the suspension checked out then. This is the third alignment since last fall and it has been off every single time. I had to get new tires because of it. The rims are 17" as far as I know. I think the 2014's had smaller rims, although I wish they were larger. The sport models had the 18's.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 09:22 AM

The rear camber is not adjustable on the Accords, it has never been adjustable. The front caster is also not adjustable. The front camber is adjustable just a tiny bit, by loosening or tightening the upper ball joint nut, but it is a hack. What's adjustable from the factory is the front toe setting, by shortening or lengthening the inner tie rod's length (it's a screw), and the rear toe setting, by turning an eccentric cam bolt. Tire size does not matter that much unless you under or plus-size quite a bit from the OEM overall circumference size. The front caster + camber and the rear camber will increase negatively over time due to suspension wear and you cannot avoid that. What's important is always keeping the toe settings in check then tire wear would be mostly normal. Don't forget to rotate tires every 5000 miles or if you are lazy, 5000 ~ 10000 miles. If you don't rotate tires, then they will wear unevenly.

I doubt the rock did any damage, but you should take a look under the car anyway. If that rock managed to bend a suspension arm, then it would affect alignment.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #11 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 01:26 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbc29 View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I agree the cambers look alright and only slightly out of spec. The alignments are done with nothing exceptionally heavy in the car. I did hit a rock going over a dirt road about a year ago that did some damage to the underside of the car. The alignment problems only started happening recently (within the last 6 months) though. Could that have done it? I attached a pic. The damage is behind the front tire. In the alignment diagram, is the front right the passenger side or the driver side? The rock was on the passenger side.
The right front is the passenger side. That rock could have done some damage to the suspension, and it could be getting worse as the miles add up. I would definitely get the suspension checked out. All it takes is one nick or bend in a suspension component, to make a joint wear quickly. Does the steering feel loose at all?

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 35,000 miles so far
post #12 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks, guess I gotta get the suspension checked out to rule it out. Currently just going to keep driving and see how fast the alignment goes.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Thanks. I will definitely have to get the suspension checked out then. This is the third alignment since last fall and it has been off every single time. I had to get new tires because of it. The rims are 17" as far as I know. I think the 2014's had smaller rims, although I wish they were larger. The sport models had the 18's.
City like Boston, where the roads are like potato fields, we are all complaining about the potholes and then right after that I wish I had 18" rims instead of 17"

2014 Accord Coupe cvt ex-l nav
2004 CR-V mt
post #14 of 14 Old 05-15-2019, 10:27 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to sandevino
Quote:
Thanks, guess I gotta get the suspension checked out to rule it out. Currently just going to keep driving and see how fast the alignment goes.
Iíll tell you how it will go. The local Discount Tire or NTB will give your own parking spot...

2017 V6 Coupe 6MT
Still Nght Pearl
CDV-less
Advertisement

Tags
alignment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in