Virus Notification When Logging On - Drive Accord Honda Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-03-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Virus Notification When Logging On

Message for the moderators.

Does anyone else get a Windows 10 Virus notification when they click on the first post they want to read? For the last week or so, everytime I click on the first post to read I get a pop up showing a virus threat. If I close the forum, and restart right away again, everything is fine - no messages. I'm running the full Norton suite (licensed) and it shows nothing - doing full scan everything is clear. I'm also use Firefox for internet access and no other forums/websites I go on give me these notifications. It's just getting to be a pain.

2017 Accord V6 Touring - Mine
2012 CRV EX - Hers
1951 Pontiac Fleetleader Deluxe - "The Turd"
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-03-2019, 12:56 PM
Out of Control

Garage
It's probably advertising, designed to get you scared so you click on it, and (by clicking on it) it downloads malware to your computer, or takes you to a legitimate-looking site that then downloads malware, all automatically and without your knowledge.

EDIT: I'm not seeing it either, but I have Chrome with Ad Block Plus installed.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my car's thread
post #3 of 7 Old 02-03-2019, 01:40 PM
CVT

I'm not experiencing what you described....using Chrome.

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-04-2019, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Garage
Hello there,

The next time you encounter this, can you provide us with the following info?

- How are you accessing this site? Desktop View, Mobile View, or Enhanced Mobile View?
- What browser/device are you using?
- What operating system and version are you on?
- Full URL of the pop-up
- Screenshots of the pop-up

This will help the techs narrow down the issue.

Ed

If you need Admin assistance please post here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-04-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdmagnet View Post
Message for the moderators.

Does anyone else get a Windows 10 Virus notification when they click on the first post they want to read? For the last week or so, everytime I click on the first post to read I get a pop up showing a virus threat. If I close the forum, and restart right away again, everything is fine - no messages. I'm running the full Norton suite (licensed) and it shows nothing - doing full scan everything is clear. I'm also use Firefox for internet access and no other forums/websites I go on give me these notifications. It's just getting to be a pain.
Maybe this is your problem if you're running Firefox 65. FF65 was released last week, so it would line up with when you 1st started noticing issue.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...sers-browsing/

Quote:
Windows Firefox 65 rollout halted by Mozilla: AV clash stopped users browsing

Users of Firefox 65, released by Mozilla last week, were immediately hit by 'Your connection is not secure' messages when visiting popular sites.

The issue mostly affected Firefox 65 users running AVG or Avast antivirus. The message appeared when users visited an HTTPS website and stated the 'Certificate is not trusted because the issuer is unknown' and that 'The server might not be sending the inappropriate intermediate certificates'.

The problem, reported on Mozilla's bug report page and first spotted by Techdows, is due to the HTTPS-filtering feature in Avast and AVG antivirus. Avast owns AVG. The bug prevented users from visiting any HTTPS site with Firefox 65.

To limit the impact on users, Mozilla decided to temporarily halt all automatic updates on Windows. In the meantime, Avast, which owns AVG, released a new virus engine update that completely disabled Firefox HTTPS filtering in Avast and AVG products. HTTPS filtering remains enabled on other browsers.

HTTPS filtering by antivirus vendors is a slightly controversial feature that's designed to inspect web content for malware in encrypted HTTPS traffic, but in the process it undermines the security and privacy afforded by HTTPS.

Avast and other antivirus firms do this by removing a site's Transport Layer Security (TLS) certificate and adding their own self-generated certificate. This certificate is signed by Avast's trusted root authority and added to the root certificate store in Windows and in major browsers.

The method used is technically a man-in-the-middle (MitM) attack, which has drawn criticism from Google, Mozilla and others for creating more security risks for users.

Avast has previously argued that its MitM technique is necessary and that its method is different to a malicious MITM.

More HTTPS certificate troubles for antivirus products could be on the way in Firefox 66, which is gaining a new feature that will detect and warn users when a third-party app is conducting an MitM attack.

A new error message, 'MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_MITM_DETECTED', will be displayed if Firefox detects that something on the user's system or network is intercepting the connection and injecting certificates in a way that is not trusted by Firefox. Chrome already has a similar feature.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-06-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
Maybe this is your problem if you're running Firefox 65. FF65 was released last week, so it would line up with when you 1st started noticing issue.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...sers-browsing/
I might have been. But I just got another update from Firefox on Monday, and haven't experienced the problem since. Checking the version it shows 65 so I'm not sure what's going on. If I do get it again I'll collect all the info requested and submit.

Thanks for the help!!!
TM

2017 Accord V6 Touring - Mine
2012 CRV EX - Hers
1951 Pontiac Fleetleader Deluxe - "The Turd"
post #7 of 7 Old 02-07-2019, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Garage
Thanks TM, keep us posted if it happens again.

Niall

If you need Admin assistance please post here:

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in