Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a Rockford Fosgate Punch P500-12P. I’m a little confused about the Input Level on the amp. I have it tapped into the rear speakers (I know fronts should give better sound but rear is so much easier) and it sounds great. No problems.

My question is the hi vs lo level input on the amp. From what I gather it should be set to “HI” since I’m tapped into the speakers and not using RCA. Yet the sub sounds so much better when it’s set to “LO”. “HI” sounds lethargic in comparison.

Why would this be? I’m fine with how it sounds on “LO” I just don’t understand why it sounds better when everything I’ve read is telling me it shouldn’t.

· Texas Ground Pounder
1,376 Posts
HI is for high level signal inputs (ie speaker line). LO is for low level signal inputs (ie RCA's). When set to HI, the input is reduced down to help prevent clipping and overloading the circuits. When you leave it on LO, it is not reduced down. Although this may seem better, in the end you are overdriving the amp and it will do damage over time.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI is for high level signal inputs (ie speaker line). LO is for low level signal inputs (ie RCA's). When set to HI, the input is reduced down to help prevent clipping and overloading the circuits. When you leave it on LO, it is not reduced down. Although this may seem better, in the end you are overdriving the amp and it will do damage over time.
Oh wow. I'll be sure to change it to HI and tune it on that setting. Thanks for the reply. Very informative!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts