Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
INTRO----------------

This January I bought my 2000 Accord EX-V6 Coupe, my 3rd car and first Honda. Here it is:

I love it so far! But I was unimpressed with the factory audio, and decided I would do an all-out upgrade. I had replaced the speakers and head unit in my previous car, but never dealt with subwoofer or amplifier installation before. Still, I wanted to do everything myself, I love the satisfaction that comes with knowing you did everything yourself, not to mention the money it saves. So here are the major items I purchased:

Head Unit: Pioneer FH-P8000BT Double Din
Front Speakers: Alpine SPR-17S 6.5" Components (110W RMS, 4 ohm)
Rear Speakers: Alpine SPR-69C 6x9" Coaxials (100W RMS, 4 ohm)
Subwoofer: Alpine SWR-1242D 12" Subwoofer (500W RMS, 4 ohm)
Amplifier 1: Alpine MRP-M500 Mono Sub Amp (500W x 1 @ 2 ohms)
Amplifier 2: Alpine MRP-F600 4ch Amp (100W x 4 @ 4 ohms)
Accessories: Pioneer HD Radio Tuner, SWC-PAC steering wheel control adapter
Wiring: Stinger
Enclosure: Custom
Deadening: RAAMmat BXT, Ensolite foam

I was home from college and had 5 days to get this all done before I had to drive 2,200 miles to California. I worked pretty much constantly for all 5 days and barely got it all done. The first day was entirely spent doing the sound deadening.

DEADENING--------------

Here is the driver side door after deadening. I removed the door panel, then the factory plastic seal, then cleaned off the inside of the door with a damp rag. I put a layer of RAAMmat on the inside metal of the door, a layer on the outside metal, and then a layer of Ensolite over that.

The passenger side door:

I also coated pretty much the entire trunk with RAMMmat and as much Ensolite as I had left.

Here is a view of the trunk from inside the car:

I didn't want to/couldn't remove the rear deck covering to deaden it, so I put some random strips on the underside of the rear deck (not pictured). I also did the trunk lid. Here you can see all of it at once:

SPEAKERS/HEAD UNIT----------------

Next, I had to really start tearing up the car to install the head unit, door woofers and dash tweeters.

The destruction:

Here you can see the difference between the stock door speakers (left) and the Alpines (right).

As you can see, the Alpines are slightly deeper. Unfortunately I didn't take this into account and after the car was all packed up for California, I went to roll the windows down and they hit the speakers!! I had no time to remedy this, and after awhile, the accidental window-hits took their toll on the driver side speaker, and the magnet shifted and it became horribly distorted. So about a week after I installed it, I had to buy a used pair off of ebay and replace the driver door speaker. I have since put spacers so the windows roll down all the way.

Here is the door woofer installed (pre-spacer):

Running the wire for the door speakers and dash tweeters was a MAJOR PITA. It involved a coat hanger, duct tape and at least 3 hours. That little rubber boot that the door wires go through is very difficult to fish through. The good news is that the Alpine tweeters fit almost perfectly into the factory mounts. Here you see the factory-mounted tweeters:

And here are the Alpines mounted:

The Alpine tweeters came in a plastic housing which had to be disassembled before I could mount them:

Here you can see the factory tweeter (left), the Alpine tweeter (middle), and the dissassembled Alpine housing (right):

Here you can see the difference between the stock rear deck 6x9" speakers (left) and the Alpines (right):

The rear deck speakers were a cinch to mount. Here they are:

From inside:

I thought about mounting the crossovers in the doors at first, but i didn't want to have to fish any more wires through the door than I absolutely had to, and I was also worried about water, so here are the locations I settled on. Driver's side (you can also see the red power wire coming through):

Passenger's side:

The wiring for the head unit was pretty involved, because not only did I have to connect the radio wires to the wiring harness, but I also had the HD radio tuner and steering wheel adapter to worry about. Here some of it is before being installed:

Here you can see the HD Radio tuner mounted back there, I just used some 3M double-sided tape:

I can't believe I fit all this behind the radio, but here is the steering wheel adaper mounted on top of the HD tuner:

The Pioneer head unit has included bluetooth, so I ran the microphone up through the driver side A-pillar and clipped it to the visor:

Here is the Pioneer head unit fully installed. You can see the iPod and aux input cables coming out down there. Right now it looks cluttered, but eventually I will run these into the center storage compartment, when I get the time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ENCLOSURE/AMP RACK--------------------

I wanted to build a sealed enclosure to Alpine's specs, and also be able to display my amps, and have trunk space left, so I decided to build my own enclosure and amp rack. I got some 1/2" MDF from the hardware store and some carpet from a local car audio shop. I used plenty of wood glue, drilled pilot holes and secured the pieces with 2" wood screws:

Here are the racks for the two amps. You can see where I drilled holes for the wires to fit through:

The finished box:

WIRING----------------------

My system would be putting out 900 watts at full power, so I probably wouldn't need a HO alternator, but I did decide to do the 'big 3' wiring upgrade using my 4 gauge power wire. I also bought a pair of wing-nut battery terminals to easily accommodate all the ring terminals that I would be crimping/soldering to the end of the power cables. Here it is completed:

Here you can see where I ran the power wire through the existing firewall grommet:

I ran the alternator->battery wire through the factory fuse box:

I ran the power and remote wires down the driver's side, and the signal and speaker wires down the passenger's side to avoid noise and interference. Here is the passenger side:

I had to remove the rear seat bottom to run the wires to the trunk. It was only one bolt, but man was it hard to get to! I had to mash my ratchet down behind the seat backs to get to it. Here are the speaker and signal wires running under where the rear seat would be:

One of the amps needed 4 gauge wire, and one only needed 8 gauge, so I had to kind of mash the bigger wire into the distribution block. Here it is mounted behind the rear seat. The power wires are red, and the grounds are gray. You can see the bolt I used to attach the ground on the right of the picture:

Here is the whole mass of wires running into the rear trunk:

And here everything is, totally done!

The trunk slopes in a little in the center, so I had to add a small piece of MDF under the corner of the sub to hold it up better. I used industrial strength velcro to attach the trunk cover to the metal, and then the sub to the carpet. I used screws to attach the amp stands.

It sounds awesome and the sound deadening helped make the interior quieter and cooler too! Feel free to ask any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Next is to clean the engine..lol. Very nice car. That stereo brought it up to todays car tech. What other plans do you have for your baby?

·
Registered
238 Posts
not bad, i have my crossovers in almost the same locations :)

lots of wire in the engine bay, are you sure no parts of the wire can get caught or touch anything, and did you fuse the alt + to batt+?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Nice job for a first install. I would have used thicker MDF, either 3/4" or 1" for the box, but overall you avoided a lot of first timer mistakes like using particle board for the enclosure, running signal, speaker, and power wires on the same side, not putting caulking on the inside seams of the enclosure. I also tend to keep my ground wires as short as possible and would have just grounded them in the trunk without a distribution block. But overall, nice, clean first install. :thmsup:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nice job for a first install. I would have used thicker MDF, either 3/4" or 1" for the box, but overall you avoided a lot of first timer mistakes like using particle board for the enclosure, running signal, speaker, and power wires on the same side, not putting caulking on the inside seams of the enclosure. I also tend to keep my ground wires as short as possible and would have just grounded them in the trunk without a distribution block. But overall, nice, clean first install. :thmsup:
yeah it is pretty good, and yes on the thicker wood for the enclosure. rcas and power wire assuming the rca's have decent shielding and the preamp voltage isn't poor it's somewhat a myth nowadays. and x2 on short grounds, that's an always :)

·
Go Black and Gold.
546 Posts
Looks great, how do you like the head unit?

·
Registered
575 Posts
great install man. clean and not ghetto!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next is to clean the engine..lol. Very nice car. That stereo brought it up to todays car tech. What other plans do you have for your baby?
Yeah the engine could use some dusting lol. Next thing I plan to do is tint the windows. I have been trying for months to find an OEM spoiler on ebay for a reasonable price, there's no way I'm paying over $300 for it.

lots of wire in the engine bay, are you sure no parts of the wire can get caught or touch anything, and did you fuse the alt + to batt+?
I'm pretty sure the wires are ok, I used the same clips the factory used to secure the wires. I tried to get my wire through the factory wire casing stuff but I couldn't fit it. And yes, I ran the alt + to batt + wire through the factory fuse box, as you can see in the picture.

Looks great, how do you like the head unit?
I love it, it's got plenty of audio options like a 6(?) band eq and 3 sets of preouts (F/R/SW), the bluetooth is super convenient and connects to my phone as soon as I turn on the car, and it controls my iPod so I can search for songs and stuff right from the HU controls. The center dial works a lot like the iPod touch wheel. Plus I really like the look of it.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,499 Posts
How do you like the HD Radio? Is the reception better than FM? I don't have an HD Radio tuner, but I can stream HD Radio stations through AOL Radio. I love listening to KROQ2 (since I noticed you are also in Southern California).

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yeah the engine could use some dusting lol. Next thing I plan to do is tint the windows. I have been trying for months to find an OEM spoiler on ebay for a reasonable price, there's no way I'm paying over $300 for it.

I'm pretty sure the wires are ok, I used the same clips the factory used to secure the wires. I tried to get my wire through the factory wire casing stuff but I couldn't fit it. And yes, I ran the alt + to batt + wire through the factory fuse box, as you can see in the picture.

I love it, it's got plenty of audio options like a 6(?) band eq and 3 sets of preouts (F/R/SW), the bluetooth is super convenient and connects to my phone as soon as I turn on the car, and it controls my iPod so I can search for songs and stuff right from the HU controls. The center dial works a lot like the iPod touch wheel. Plus I really like the look of it.
http://www.elitespoilers.com/inc/sdetail/171

119 painted shipped... i got mine from here. You should recondition the head lamps too. Take b4/after pix of a full detail. Claybar/polish/wax.. that car will pop nice. especially with tint.

·
Go Black and Gold.
546 Posts
That's good to hear I've been looking at that head unit for a while to replace my stock unit since the CD changer no longer works. Bluetooth, iPod connectivity, and it's satellite radio ready. I currently have after market satellite radio that plays through an FM transmitter and would love to change that so it is integrated into the head unit for a cleaner look. I also really like the look, a lot cleaner looking than most of the other head units I've seen. I see you used the adapter to connect the steering well controls, did that work well?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do you like the HD Radio? Is the reception better than FM? I don't have an HD Radio tuner, but I can stream HD Radio stations through AOL Radio. I love listening to KROQ2 (since I noticed you are also in Southern California).
The HD radio actually sounds worlds better than SD, but it can get a little annoying if the reception isn't that good and it keeps switching back and forth between HD and SD. Still worth it though. There's some decent stations down here (like KROQ) but I still like my metro Detroit stations more than anywhere else.

Looks nice and clean! It appears the headlights could use a polishing since they have turned a little cloudy.
Thanks! Yeah, I plan to polish those up soon, I hate that cloudy look, it makes cars seem so old when the headlights get like that.

http://www.elitespoilers.com/inc/sdetail/171

119 painted shipped... i got mine from here. You should recondition the head lamps too. Take b4/after pix of a full detail. Claybar/polish/wax.. that car will pop nice. especially with tint.
Yeah, but those are factory "style". I'm a little afraid to get those aftermarket spoilers, and they don't come with the heavy duty replacement trunk springs. I've seen some new genuine Honda spoilers on eBay for pretty cheap (like $180), but I haven't found one in my color yet.

That's good to hear I've been looking at that head unit for a while to replace my stock unit since the CD changer no longer works. Bluetooth, iPod connectivity, and it's satellite radio ready. I currently have after market satellite radio that plays through an FM transmitter and would love to change that so it is integrated into the head unit for a cleaner look. I also really like the look, a lot cleaner looking than most of the other head units I've seen. I see you used the adapter to connect the steering well controls, did that work well?
Yeah I like the clean look of it, I didn't want something ridiculous in there. The steering wheel adapter was pretty simple to set up (if you don't mind soldering wires) and works perfectly. Plus it doesn't lose it's memory even if you disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The HD radio actually sounds worlds better than SD, but it can get a little annoying if the reception isn't that good and it keeps switching back and forth between HD and SD. Still worth it though. There's some decent stations down here (like KROQ) but I still like my metro Detroit stations more than anywhere else.

Thanks! Yeah, I plan to polish those up soon, I hate that cloudy look, it makes cars seem so old when the headlights get like that.

Yeah, but those are factory "style". I'm a little afraid to get those aftermarket spoilers, and they don't come with the heavy duty replacement trunk springs. I've seen some new genuine Honda spoilers on eBay for pretty cheap (like $180), but I haven't found one in my color yet.

Yeah I like the clean look of it, I didn't want something ridiculous in there. The steering wheel adapter was pretty simple to set up (if you don't mind soldering wires) and works perfectly. Plus it doesn't lose it's memory even if you disconnect the battery.
You dont need trunk springs for these spoilers. My trunk opens just fine and stays open.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,499 Posts
Ah, the misleading advertising of the name HD Radio. The "HD" doesn't stand for High-Definition. It doesn't really stand for anything, although the format is described as hybrid-digital in its technical paper. I can see the benefit of the improved sound, but I guess it would be a stinker if you are listening to a multi-cast station, like KROQ2 and lose the signal falling back to the primary broadcast of KROQ. I am assuming that is what happens when you lost a multi-cast station?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
On the 6th gen the oem springs are too weak and need to be upgraded when getting a rear wing. :thmsup:
Its too weak for the Honda made spoiler. It's the same for any gen honda made spoiler. The copy is not made from the same material as Hondas. It's abs plastic. I worried about the same thing and called them. He said "none of our spoilers need upgraded springs". He was right. Trunk pops up and stays open just fine.

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
AWESOME write up and pictures! :thmsup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts