Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has been a problem child. car had p0300 and 301 and 303. it had weak spark so we replaced dizzy. no fix, now it just floods itself. we tested main relay and it checked out ok. but we replaced anyways just in case. we checked crank timing and it is in time. we replaced crank and tdc sensor while we were in there. no fix. I then tested continuity and battery voltage and body grounds at the ecu and going from the main relay to the ecu. all good.
Now I have tested the dizzy ohms at pin 2 and 4. its suppose to be 800-1500 according to our specs. then brand new assembly ohm at 340. and the one we took out at 345. I used another ohmmeter to insure results and got the same numbers. A third dizzy was purchased and has an ohm reading of 405.
I don't know where to go with this now. CEL light comes on for 2 seconds and goes off. green immobilizer light comes on and goes off. all fuses are good. all grounds have been cleaned. can anyone shed some light on a direction to go with this?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If the engine has been flooded with fuel, you may need to replace the spark plugs or at least remove and completely dry them out in order to get it to start.
Im not clear if you have any spark to the plugs or not. A good video on Honda no start trouble shooting is the one from Eric the Car Guy called No Start Diagnosis for Honda or something like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spark is good. light blue/ orange. the motor sat over night with plugs out and oil down in the cylinders. new plugs were installed and still same no start symptoms. Compression isn't the greatest, but it has been flooded out before I looked at it so the numbers aren't accurate.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
As you know the 3 things needed for an engine to start are spark, fuel and air (compression). Since you verified there is spark, move on to the other two. Do a compression test to verify the mechanical parts are working properly then check the fuel which is more involved on a Honda. A fuel pressure check would provide good data for trouble shooting, but you need the fuel pressure gage and Honda adapter. The pressure should be about 50 psi with the ignition on. It should hold that pressure for several minutes unless the injectors are leaking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have access to the fitting. it would be next week before I could get one. but by loosening the dampener, its got plenty of pressure. compression checked revealed acceptable numbers mechanically. given the state of the cylinder rings being doused with gas.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If some or all the cylinders are getting excess fuel, I would suspect the injectors may be leaking when they are supposed to be closed. Have you tried starting the engine with the gas pedal fully depressed (clear flood mode)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes I have. even pulled the fuel pump fuse and did it to dry it out. I don't suspect fuel. I suspect incorrect firing and as I stated before. all the dizzys don't spec out to the ohms. The ohm reading would be for the camshaft sensor in the dizzy itself correct?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The Accord factory service manual shows the CYP sensor having 800-1500 ohms which is between pins 2 & 4 on the square connector used with the A5 engine. These are the two pins on the right when the connector is held with the clip on top. The manual also shows there should be no continuity between these pins and ground. Did you replace the coil and ignition module when you changed the dizzy or swap over the old ones?

The ECM determines the ignition timing based on input from several sensors. If any of them are faulty I would expect it to throw a code and produce no spark at all. Since you indicate there is spark, Im thinking your problem is something else like fuel or really bad compression. Did you refuel the car shortly before the problems started and possibly get some bad gas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
those are the pins I checked correct. The replacements were complete assembly's. no transfer of any old parts. aside from the ohm reading on the dizzy connector not being where it should be for spec. everything checks out ok. only codes are misfire and a stray tranny code, that I assume has no relation.

Its so odd that all 3 replacements are nowhere near spec.. maybe a dealer dizzy its a possibility or an ecu. but then there is the immobilizer system

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I wouldnt get hung up on the CYP sensor ohm readings. Its just providing a signal to the ECM that the distributor and cam are in the generally correct position. I believe its the crank position sensor (CKP) that the ECM uses to fire the plugs at the correct time. Since you are getting a spark to the plugs the ECM must be satisfied with the input signals.

The green immobilizer light should blink continuously if there is a problem there and you would not have any spark or fuel pressure if that were the problem.

The misfire codes can be caused by fuel problems or ignition problems. Since you replaced most of the ignition components, I would revisit the fuel system. Have you tried disabling the fuel pump and using some starter fluid to see if the engine will try to start?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
spray did not help. so as a last attempt. I played with the firing order. every diagram I see shows the same. 1-2-4-3 counter clockwise from forward most prong on the cap. and cylinder one being the one closest to the belts (obviously). so after rechecking wires time and time again, the are right on. What I decided to do is swap the wires 1 with 4, and 2 with 3. and guess what, starts and runs smooth. wth? reverse order? is the diagram I had wrong or is this an upside down dizzy?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2 and cw rotation, but it sounds like you may have the distributor installed 180 degrees off. The key slot that mates with the cam shaft is not supposed to allow that, but I hear it can be forcibly done. By swapping the wires you got spark going to the correct cylinders so it runs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it is keyed and only went in one way. even reinstalling the old one hadn't reproduced fire. somehow it was 180 out still. not sure how..

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Well, if it starts and runs with no CEL you must have fixed it :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts