Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Great forum here, lot's of good stuff.

Just purchased a 2002 yesterday with 235,000 miles for $2k. Not a bad deal as far as I'm concerned. Needs a little TLC but seems to be a pretty good car. Everything works pretty much, just some touch ups here and there.

First thing I did yesterday was pulled out the seats and the center console, gave it a good cleaning, and put it all back together. The mats are trash, so those are out. The carpet isn't in bad shape, and the seats are in very good shape.

Changed a few light bulbs (drivers door, 3rd brake light, mini bulb in the heater console, and mini bulb in the shifter console).

Things I know I need to do...

-Blower motor resistor, as fan doesn't work on 1 or 2 (ordering this morning via Amazon).

-Front motor mount (visibly shot).

-The bracket between the drivers door and the pull handle/pocket that the screw goes into is gone, so the panel flexes a bit when closing the door. Trying to find one now but cannot find a part number to search with.

-It's got a tight hood latch. The pull handle is a bit tight and doesn't return, as well as the latch. I have to push it back into place with my finger before it will catch and close. I don't know if it's the cable or the latch itself, I'll take a look later.

-There are a few other bulbs I'd like to replace, primarily in the dash and heater control. They are the little tiny ones that are attached to the white screw panels. Any idea where I can get these?

-I've got a lot of engine noise coming from the steering column area, but I didn't stick my head up in there to see if there is a rubber gasket or something that is missing. Anyone have experience with this?

-The jack is in the trunk along with the spare, but no tool kit or things that go with the jack. Any idea where I can get that set? No return on Amazon or Ebay.

Aside from that, it does have to go to the mechanic. It's got some pretty horrendous clacking noises going down the road, pulls a bit, and has a tight spot in the steering. I'm expecting a few hundred in suspension/steering/alignment, but I don't think it will be too bad. We'll see.

As far as I know, it's had a new transmission not long ago, and a radiator replacement. I think that's it. Seems to be a solid little car for 230k. Pics attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome to the community!

The dash and heater bulbs you are only going to find at the stealership or from a Honda parts retailer like Honda Parts at Honda Parts Now | Genuine OEM Honda Auto Parts. Believe me, when I got my 6th gen I had to replace EVERY bulb except the ones in the instrument cluster, and I checked everywhere.

Your fascia doesn't look right for an '02, looks earlier (98 to 00). Maybe that's why the hood doesn't quite latch properly (the hood on the 98-00 has a different part number than the 01-02), or maybe a previous owner put a coupe's fascia and hood on it.

Unrelated question: Is it an LX or a DX?

·
Clermont, FL
206 Posts
ahhh i can tell u straight away, ur car has the 01'-02' coupe bumper and hood, that probably why it giving trouble. the coupe and sedan bumper difference is huge, what the previos owner have done to ur car is, they took a bumper off a coupe, when u do that the only way to make the hood line up to the coupe bumper is to take a hood from a coupe. the coupe's hood is alot longer length wise, so this is why ur hood is jammed and not working right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Morning everyone,

I believe it's an LX.

Yes, I knew there was front end work, the previous owner told me before I bought it. I noticed a few parts that were and were not replaced. I didn't realize however that it came from the other model, thanks for catching that.

The hood close doesn't seem to be related though, because the hood and latch are fine. The reason with the problematic hood close is the cable. The cable itself binds up somewhere. Before I read this yesterday, I took the cable off the latch. The latch works fine, and I can't even move the cable with my fingers. I don't know where it's bound up, but that's the problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,590 Posts
The jack and spare (if you need a spare) I'd say go to a junk yard and see if you can find one there. Might get lucky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts